Thread: I need to go to the dentist but I'm too scared!

Unhappy I need to go to the dentist but I'm too scared!

Hello. Title says it all. I need to go to the dentist but I'm too scared... Back in April, a piece of my filling chipped off but I already cancelled my dentist appointment because I thought I could wait until covid was better...Silly me waited all Summer and Autumn, and there were no symptoms with the chip so I thought it was fine to keep putting it off.

Yesterday, the chipped tooth began to hurt. Luckily, it's not so bad (flares a little when I drink something cold), but the tooth doesn't look so great... I'm worried about losing the tooth if I put it off any longer, but also terrified of the dentist because of all the aerosols and other people sat in the practice. Also, Germany had it's highest coronavirus day last week and I'm just so scared! >_< What do I do?

Re: I need to go to the dentist but I'm too scared!

From my own experience here in the UK, you'll be fine. The dentists and their assistants are usually in full PPE: face mask, visor, gloves and gowns. Appointments are spaced to allow ventilation of the surgery between patients (here in the UK it's one hour) and everything is scrupulously cleaned, wiped down and sterilised before the next patient is allowed in.

Hi. I’m sorry to hear about your tooth and please don’t blame yourself for not seeing to it sooner, because so many people put things off thinking that everything would get better at some point. Because nobody has ever really had any answers throughout and everything has just been very „let’s see what happens.“ At the start of the lockdown here in March/April I was pretty much too scared to go to the corner shop! I still certainly avoid places I don’t need to go, but I have become a little bit more rational with myself as time has gone on. Funnily enough, I was really due to see a dentist at the start of 2020 and kept telling myself to book an appointment....then of course the lockdown happened and going to the dentist was the furthest thing from my mind. But then during October I thought „Ok, I’m just going to go.“ Oddly, I also chipped my tooth while eating a nut and then I think that sealed the deal for me. I have ended up having 3 dentist appointments in 2 weeks (Check up, hygienist and filling and tooth repair) and although I was a little apprehensive, the measures the practice put in place were very reassuring. I am guessing in Germany these would also be pretty well thought about? So here for example, the front door was locked and the receptionist only let one person in at a time, then took their temperature and gave them hand sanitiser- both parties wearing masks of course and then you saw the dental staff. All the while the practice was being cleaned constantly. So I think these places do have to adhere to really strict rules. Maybe if you are anxious, you could ask your practice what measures they have in place? Or perhaps, they would offer initial video consultations, so they can determine if it can wait- although I know that’s maybe not ideal. It’s a difficult decision to make, I understand, especially as cases have gone up- that’s the same here too- and people are of course going to be nervous. Maybe a telephone call to the practice could be a start to describe the symptoms/problem and perhaps they can go from there to determine how important it is that you come in. Perhaps they can then also tell you about their measures and you can see how you feel about it? Either way, I hope the problem does not cause you too much pain and that you find a way of resolving it that you feel comfortable with. Stay safe and well and Good luck. ��

Thank you both for the reassuring comments. I will contact my practice and see what measures they are doing to keep people safe. Hopefully, I can get it sorted soon, though Christmas may cause some delays... It will be good to get it fixed and not have to worry about it anymore, but if they don't think it'd urgent, then maybe I can wait til numbers are down... though I keep wanting them to get lower and they only keep rising!

I'm going on Monday, root canal work, can't wait.

Honestly, the numbers will come down. I think we all knew that the start of December and the Winter season in general (Jan, Feb) would be difficult. The next couple of months will be a little tricky and require some patience (I know like we haven’t had enough of that already, right?). But the good news is, if we had patience then, we can stick it out a few more months, make the best of it. In Spring I’m sure they’ll be a significant drop in numbers. It really will improve and it’s no longer that far off. Hope all goes well with the call to the dentist.

My mom went to the dentist today and she was first but the dentist worked on her tooth about an hour and filled it with something so she had to wait in the waiting room for another two hours and come again. Two women were in between and she went again after them. The window was open all the time and the dentist made a pause of 15 minutes between patients. But I am so scared that she could catch it anyway. She was waiting in the waiting room where she was alone and window was open.
    What are the risks?

Both my wife and I have been going several times the last couple of months to get some things taken care of and we'll be going several more times into March. We're confident as they're taking all precautions as are we.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Funnily enough, I've just got back from the dentist.

Temperature checked on entry, nobody in the waiting area at all, normal UK guidelines applied for sanitisation/ventilation and resting period of the two surgeries between appointments.

Thank you for your answers, I really hope it will be ok, my mom has to go again in ten days so it's a bit stressful for me, she isn't so healthy and she can't receive vaccine yet so I am scared.

Thread Information