Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are our media so London-centric?

Why are our media so London-centric?

With the well-documented explosion in reported Covid cases in London and the SE of England over the past fortnight or so, the media seem to be going haywire over it, yet a few weeks back when say, Merseyside, Gtr Mancs and parts of the Midlands were hotbeds for Covid, there seemed to be nowhere near the same amount of frenzied media coverage.

A similar phenomenon seemed to occur during the recent knife crime epidemic where the bulk of the focus seemed to be on London, whilst almost all of the other major cities were just as hard-hit, but received less media attention nationally.

Don't get me wrong, I"m not having a bash at Londoners per se, but it does seem that the press often single out London and the SE region as the be-all-and-end-all of the UK, when and where other regions and areas also matter.

Re: Why are our media so London-centric?

Probably because most of the media is based there, but also Greater London has ten million people in it, in a country of around 66 million.

LB, there's London and then the rest of the UK. Here in sleepy Northamptonshire not much happens other than a few escaped cattle or a broken down tractor. Have you ever seen the John Cleese film 'Clockwise' made in 1986? Their car gets stuck in a muddy field not far from Northampton, the one and only time I've heard us mentioned outside of our regional news.

I'm a Londoner born and bred.....still living in this total dive of a city too. I totally understand your frustration, Lencoboy.

Perhaps because it is the centre of government and the capital city? I really dunno though as there are just as relevant (and nicer) places in the country they could talk about.

It may also be that they are fixated on London and the South because way back in the Spring, we were hit the worst with the virus, then it sharply and quickly declined.......but now we are hit hard again and the spouted theory was that we had built up some kind of alleged immunity down here, but obviously now that is simply not so. I think they lose their sh*t about London as it is the financial centre and as Pamplemousse already said, a lot of the media are here so they have a vested interest.

Please DO feel free to have a bash at Londoners. Most of them are a pain in the a*se (I'm ok though.....promise!! )

As everyone has said above. Surely it's the same the world over?

Wales is having a big Covid surge right now, it's on the BBC site, yet no big brown trousers moment by the MSM. But I bet if you read a Welsh publication it would be big news.

Knife crime was actually worse in some areas of the country but no one cares.

But perhaps part of it is the political nature of the owners, editors, etc who try to drive their news at us rather than just reporting what is going on? So London is no 1 on the list for everything because all the powerful people are in there and they aren't going to care about a small town.

Surely within London the same applies? Who cares about Tower Hamlets until something bad happens? Even then as long as it's affecting we little people and not the wealthy it's not much of an issue. If all those stabbings were happening in nice areas the media would explode.

I'm sure our American, Aussie, NZers, Canadians, African, European, etc members will say the same.

Outside of these places it has to be something massive to grab press attention. Then it's quickly forgotten. How often do we hear of places around the world where some heinous act has taken place? For instance, I've just had a story pop up about a man in Jamaican who's penis has been ripped off by his neighbours dog!
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 17-12-20 at 06:16.

I ditto what debs said except I moved away and now the news for me is about wildlife, farmers and flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    For instance, I've just had a story pop up about a man in Jamaican who's penis has been ripped off by his neighbours dog!
    Yeah I think there's a joke in there somewhere Terry LOL

In any part of the world, news is overblown by media. I just don't know what is the reason why they seem to be rumour mongers who inflate the news. Money would be a thing and fame. And I was just wondering why the government don't do anything about it, I mean yes there is press freedom but spreading news like these that affect human safety and health is indeed a major consideration?!

Quote Originally Posted by meltedchic View Post
    In any part of the world, news is overblown by media. I just don't know what is the reason why they seem to be rumour mongers who inflate the news. Money would be a thing and fame. And I was just wondering why the government don't do anything about it, I mean yes there is press freedom but spreading news like these that affect human safety and health is indeed a major consideration?!
    TBH, I don't think any political party here in the UK really takes misinformation seriously enough, sadly, (dare I say it) not even Labour, who, probably just like the Tories (and others) believe that 'one person's fake news/misinformation is another person's free expression', or something along those lines.

But a line really needs to be drawn somewhere, and sadly the horse has long escaped from the stable!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I've just had a story pop up about a man in Jamaican who's penis has been ripped off by his neighbours dog!
    Poor bugger's had a wuff time of it by the sounds of it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information