Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are our media so London-centric?

Re: Why are our media so London-centric?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Poor bugger's had a wuff time of it by the sounds of it.
    And still no sign of any dog-hating 'flakes/wokes posting on social media demanding the culling of all dogs worldwide, thank God!!

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    I'm a Londoner born and bred.....still living in this total dive of a city too. I totally understand your frustration, Lencoboy.

Perhaps because it is the centre of government and the capital city? I really dunno though as there are just as relevant (and nicer) places in the country they could talk about.

It may also be that they are fixated on London and the South because way back in the Spring, we were hit the worst with the virus, then it sharply and quickly declined.......but now we are hit hard again and the spouted theory was that we had built up some kind of alleged immunity down here, but obviously now that is simply not so. I think they lose their sh*t about London as it is the financial centre and as Pamplemousse already said, a lot of the media are here so they have a vested interest.

Please DO feel free to have a bash at Londoners. Most of them are a pain in the a*se (I'm ok though.....promise!! )
    Quite right Debs71 - I live and work in London (although I'm not a Londoner) - this city is full of lazy journalists with nothing better to do than just regurgitate the same old junk. God forbid that they might actually go out and do some broader investigative journalism, such as they are paid for. And yes this city is becoming a veritable cesspit.

On the subject of the pandemic, of course London was hit hard and fast back in the Spring - main transit point with 3 connecting airports to spread virus from Europe inwards and outwards and inwards again. Massive city with huge population - is it any surprise that with increased testing among a big population the government is now able to cite a surge in positive tests and keep the fear scenario going? The numbers being racked up on the daily news are probably no bigger than they were back in the spring, the reason being that no mass testing was carried out.

I seriously doubt that there is no built up immunity in the population - immunity does not stop you contracting the virus, just aids the body in fighting off the bug before it can take hold and make you ill. Most of the population in London would have been exposed to the virus which was spreading freely and for the most part untested back in February/March. Viruses mutate and are cyclical and we are now in winter when all respiratory viruses generally circulate. Basic A-level biology, but the government wants to keep making a meal of it and scaring the risk-averse generation silly. No challenge from the media or parliament - what a lot of spineless ineffectual so-called leaders we have. No end in sight I am sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    And still no sign of any dog-hating 'flakes/wokes posting on social media demanding the culling of all dogs worldwide, thank God!!
    When this happens it's usually people who have zero understanding of dogs - like parents who allow kids to use their dogs as trampolines, then they demand the animal is euthanised when it nips the kid as a way of warning for them to get the hell off!

Generally speaking, a problem with a dog means a problem with the owner, or past owner.

In the story of the man minus a bit of penis - the dog apparently went for his crotch area through the gap in the fence as he was chatting to its owner. Seems her dogs are aggressive and there have been other complaints about them, so like I said - the owner is the issue - not the dog.

I had to chuckle about the advertisement which was directly under this story in the Daily Wail - bananas!

When this happens it's usually people who have zero understanding of dogs - like parents who allow kids to use their dogs as trampolines, then they demand the animal is euthanised when it nips the kid as a way of warning for them to get the hell off!

Generally speaking, a problem with a dog means a problem with the owner, or past owner.

In the story of the man minus a bit of penis - the dog apparently went for his crotch area through the gap in the fence as he was chatting to its owner. Seems her dogs are aggressive and there have been other complaints about them, so like I said - the owner is the issue - not the dog.

I had to chuckle about the advertisement which was directly under this story in the Daily Wail - bananas!
    Although I mostly spoke about those hypothetical 'anti-dog brigades' in jest, I do agree with a lot of what you have said. It's a bit like us Aspies who have been known to snap at others whenever we have been excessively cornered and/or had our personal space unreasonably invaded, and we have ended up being severely punished for it, sometimes even sent to jail or sectioned, especially pre-21st Century.

It can also be down to how dogs' owners have trained them, in a similar sense to how parents bring up children.

I vaguely recall the mass hysteria and moral panics doing the rounds back in the late 80s and early 90s about vicious Rottweilers, Staffies, Alsations, etc, and the passing of the Dangerous Dogs Act in 1991.

Such breeds still continue to be stigmatised today, despite it often being more to do with the way such dogs are trained and managed, rather than the actual dog breeds themselves as a whole being at fault.

But sadly many people often revel in sweeping generalisations and hyperbole!

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Quite right Debs71 - I live and work in London (although I'm not a Londoner) - this city is full of lazy journalists with nothing better to do than just regurgitate the same old junk. God forbid that they might actually go out and do some broader investigative journalism, such as they are paid for. And yes this city is becoming a veritable cesspit.

On the subject of the pandemic, of course London was hit hard and fast back in the Spring - main transit point with 3 connecting airports to spread virus from Europe inwards and outwards and inwards again. Massive city with huge population - is it any surprise that with increased testing among a big population the government is now able to cite a surge in positive tests and keep the fear scenario going? The numbers being racked up on the daily news are probably no bigger than they were back in the spring, the reason being that no mass testing was carried out.

I seriously doubt that there is no built up immunity in the population - immunity does not stop you contracting the virus, just aids the body in fighting off the bug before it can take hold and make you ill. Most of the population in London would have been exposed to the virus which was spreading freely and for the most part untested back in February/March. Viruses mutate and are cyclical and we are now in winter when all respiratory viruses generally circulate. Basic A-level biology, but the government wants to keep making a meal of it and scaring the risk-averse generation silly. No challenge from the media or parliament - what a lot of spineless ineffectual so-called leaders we have. No end in sight I am sorry to say.
    How are you doing Dorabella, as I haven't seen any posts from you on here for a few weeks now?

I kind of agree with you about the actual rate of Covid infections probably being a lot lot higher back in February-early May time, but as full community testing didn't really start properly until around late May-mid June, the true number of daily Covid infections were vastly undercounted, as initially those who were already seriously ill in hospital with the main symptoms were only eligible for Covid tests.

Though of course we should still keep being vigilant and sticking by the rules in the meantime, especially until the mass vaccinations really get going.

Surely Birmingham and most other major metropolitan conurbations have been just as hard hit by the pandemic, both then and now, but the national media never seem to make such a song and dance over it, it's almost always London this, London that!

Same for violent crime over recent years, as I already mentioned upthread.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 26-12-20 at 18:53.

Although I mostly spoke about those hypothetical 'anti-dog brigades' in jest, I do agree with a lot of what you have said. It's a bit like us Aspies who have been known to snap at others whenever we have been excessively cornered and/or had our personal space unreasonably invaded, and we have ended up being severely punished for it, sometimes even sent to jail or sectioned, especially pre-21st Century.

It can also be down to how dogs' owners have trained them, in a similar sense to how parents bring up children.

I vaguely recall the mass hysteria and moral panics doing the rounds back in the late 80s and early 90s about vicious Rottweilers, Staffies, Alsations, etc, and the passing of the Dangerous Dogs Act in 1991.

Such breeds still continue to be stigmatised today, despite it often being more to do with the way such dogs are trained and managed, rather than the actual dog breeds themselves as a whole being at fault.

But sadly many people often revel in sweeping generalisations and hyperbole!
    Spot on LB. I remember the late 80s/early 90s media obsession with 'killer dogs' very well, because at that time I had a rottweiler called 'Bear'. He was nothing like the vicious, snarling pictures on the front of every daily rag then. But on a walk one afternoon, I passed a young couple about my age and the girl hid behind her BF. That's the impact this kind of propaganda has. Bear just ignored her like he did anyone else. Yes he looked mean but he didn't realise that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Spot on LB. I remember the late 80s/early 90s media obsession with 'killer dogs' very well, because at that time I had a rottweiler called 'Bear'. He was nothing like the vicious, snarling pictures on the front of every daily rag then. But on a walk one afternoon, I passed a young couple about my age and the girl hid behind her BF. That's the impact this kind of propaganda has. Bear just ignored her like he did anyone else. Yes he looked mean but he didn't realise that.
    As ever, it's environment and training. Some of the soppiest dogs I've met were rotties!

It's a bit like us Aspies who have been known to snap at others whenever we have been excessively cornered and/or had our personal space unreasonably invaded, and we have ended up being severely punished for it, sometimes even sent to jail or sectioned, especially pre-21st Century.
    Yes, it is a bit like that (although I'm ASD, not Aspergers) and it's all down to ignorance.

Too many owners don't understand dogs or pack mentality. Dogs must have a place in the 'pack' and it must be lower than the humans to make the dog feel safe. Part of being a friend to a dog is doing what is best for them, not just us. If this doesn't happen there can be severe behavioural problems which at worst will end up with the dog being euthanised. One of the most basic rules people ignore is with food where people feed their dogs from their own plate, as they are eating. My pooch gets lots of lovely titbits, but after we have finished eating because that is how packs work. My MIL was a lovely woman who loved dogs but she made the mistake of feeding her dog from her plate as she was eating and in the end she was unable to eat anything without him clawing the shit out of her leg, while two rivers of drool dripped onto her slippers - and it became very annoying - even for her. When she put him out of the room, or in the garden, he barked his head off so she would feed him treats to shut him up which further reinforced the behaviour.

People who don't understand dogs also confuse canine play for aggression. I had a very large (and very daft) lurcher. He was epically playful - which many other walkers mistook for aggression because he had a loud bark - which is a dog's voice. Everything about his body language said 'play with me' but I've lost count of the amount of times he's been hit with walking sticks or had stones thrown at him when playing with small dogs. Along with the, 'Get that bloody animal on a lead' - while their yappy little foofoo is off lead - as if their dog had more right than mine? Really grinds my gears does this!

So I'm wittering on and probably digressing but this is a subject which stirs my colon because I am a human example of how ignorance can mess up someone's head, so I'm firmly on the pooches side!

Sheep mentality Len. One runs, they all run. I have known dogs of all those breeds and all of them as soppy as soppy can be!

One Alsatian I knew was an absolute hoot. Her owner used to like a drinkypoo and she would visit the neighbours so she could have a drink without her husband nagging her, but the dog was very clever and all the bloke had to do was to open the front door and the dog would go and sit outside the front door of whatever house his Mrs was in!

Yes, it is a bit like that (although I'm ASD, not Aspergers) and it's all down to ignorance.

Too many owners don't understand dogs or pack mentality. Dogs must have a place in the 'pack' and it must be lower than the humans to make the dog feel safe. Part of being a friend to a dog is doing what is best for them, not just us. If this doesn't happen there can be severe behavioural problems which at worst will end up with the dog being euthanised. One of the most basic rules people ignore is with food where people feed their dogs from their own plate, as they are eating. My pooch gets lots of lovely titbits, but after we have finished eating because that is how packs work. My MIL was a lovely woman who loved dogs but she made the mistake of feeding her dog from her plate as she was eating and in the end she was unable to eat anything without him clawing the shit out of her leg, while two rivers of drool dripped onto her slippers - and it became very annoying - even for her. When she put him out of the room, or in the garden, he barked his head off so she would feed him treats to shut him up which further reinforced the behaviour.

People who don't understand dogs also confuse canine play for aggression. I had a very large (and very daft) lurcher. He was epically playful - which many other walkers mistook for aggression because he had a loud bark - which is a dog's voice. Everything about his body language said 'play with me' but I've lost count of the amount of times he's been hit with walking sticks or had stones thrown at him when playing with small dogs. Along with the, 'Get that bloody animal on a lead' - while their yappy little foofoo is off lead - as if their dog had more right than mine? Really grinds my gears does this!

So I'm wittering on and probably digressing but this is a subject which stirs my colon because I am a human example of how ignorance can mess up someone's head, so I'm firmly on the pooches side!

Sheep mentality Len. One runs, they all run. I have known dogs of all those breeds and all of them as soppy as soppy can be!

One Alsatian I knew was an absolute hoot. Her owner used to like a drinkypoo and she would visit the neighbours so she could have a drink without her husband nagging her, but the dog was very clever and all the bloke had to do was to open the front door and the dog would go and sit outside the front door of whatever house his Mrs was in!
    Your first paragraph.

A lot of that attitude still seemed to persist well into the 2000s, especially when the NHS and allied organisations started going down the 'zero tolerance' route from around 1999-2000 onwards, which I think has been a virtual failure from the off, especially as attacks on such staff have reportedly continued to increase year-on-year ever since, which I think is partly due to the failure to address many of the underlying causes of certain people acting out, where sadly, knee-jerk policies in treating the symptoms instead were instigated!

I think ZT policies were (and still are) perfect fodder for those power-mad staff members with agendas who work in such places, and in turn seemed to give them carte blanche to physically abuse vulnerable people in their care, disguised as 'physical restraint'.
    Double standards 'do as I say, not as I do' attitudes IMO!

Your third paragraph.

It does seem that certain dog owners act as if they own certain public open spaces where they let their dogs loose off the leads and run around. I have been in situations where I have walked our dog on a lead onto such spaces and an 'unleashed' dog who was already there runs towards our 'leashed' dog, and the owner of the 'unleashed' dog getting indignant for seemingly invading their space!
    Similar in effect to drivers who seem to think that they own the roads.

Your fifth paragraph.

A typical media-fuelled 'pack mentality' thing, similar to the great 'hoodie' scare of the 2000s, and numerous scares about BAME persons over the years, all of which in turn often become self-fulfilling prophecies!

How are you doing Dorabella, as I haven't seen any posts from you on here for a few weeks now?

I kind of agree with you about the actual rate of Covid infections probably being a lot lot higher back in February-early May time, but as full community testing didn't really start properly until around late May-mid June, the true number of daily Covid infections were vastly undercounted, as initially those who were already seriously ill in hospital with the main symptoms were only eligible for Covid tests.

Though of course we should still keep being vigilant and sticking by the rules in the meantime, especially until the mass vaccinations really get going.

Surely Birmingham and most other major metropolitan conurbations have been just as hard hit by the pandemic, both then and now, but the national media never seem to make such a song and dance over it, it's almost always London this, London that!

Same for violent crime over recent years, as I already mentioned upthread.
    Haven't been posting for a while Lencoboy - have shut myself off from the news, commentary and general paranoia for a while to preserve my own sanity. Now am in lockdown-in-all-but-name London and twiddling my thumbs at the endlessness of all this nonsense.

Quite right what you said about Brum - it was hit as hard as London back in the spring .... and that high rate of positive tests in Brum and the surrounding commuter belt has never really fallen to really low levels - big conurbation with transit hub, airport and high population of multi-generational households ... not much different to London where the highest infection rates have been registered. But under-reported as always in favour of the sacred cow called London. Am so fed up with all this my teeth are starting to itch!!

Hope you're doing OK. D.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information