Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New heart worries. Stings and discomfort in my left side

Re: Elevated blood pressure. 32 year old overweight male

Thank you, dad died 2 years ago and since then there has been a lot of comfort eating. And why did I start another thread? Well I wanted to get some insight from people that maybe have similar readings or have had similar symptoms and some advice on dietary changes. Thought that maybe someone like that was more likely to look in a thread dedicated to that instead of the other thread on the HA forum.

You talked about the readings on your previous thread. I wouldn't be surprised to see them merged as it's all related to the same current spiral.

Hope you feel better soon.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by scared88 View Post
    I am a bit overweight, I do like my KFC and pizzas but this has been a kick in the ass to try and change that.
    You really do need to be proactive and knock the junk food on the head. It's one thing to eat crap and not give one, but not when you're a serial health worrier.

Should I be concerned about these numbers? Cause it has made me think, I do sometimes get pressure in my ears, I get stings in my chest and pain in my shoulder and I wonder if it can be related, however my posture is awful as well so that can play part too.
    MY BP flies up as soon as the doctor/nurse puts the cuff on. I don't usually advocate doing BP reading at home with HA but it was helpful with me because I got a true reading and I was disciplined enough (at that point) to use it three times a day (as instructed) and only for one week, then the monitor was put away and I haven't used it since. My point is not to get to hung up on the BP figures you get at the doctors etc because they can be way off which is why they sometimes end up asking people to wear a monitor for a week - at least here in the UK anyway.

Losing weight will absolutely improve your physical health - which in turn will improve your mental health - so it's all to play for.

Can I suggest something to you?

Your signature is visual HA fodder and every time you see it you are sending a message to your brain and reaffirming the HA. Maybe consider finding a quote which inspires you to change, not stay as you are?

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    You really do need to be proactive and knock the junk food on the head. It's one thing to eat crap and not give one, but not when you're a serial health worrier.

MY BP flies up as soon as the doctor/nurse puts the cuff on. I don't usually advocate doing BP reading at home with HA but it was helpful with me because I got a true reading and I was disciplined enough (at that point) to use it three times a day (as instructed) and only for one week, then the monitor was put away and I haven't used it since. My point is not to get to hung up on the BP figures you get at the doctors etc because they can be way off which is why they sometimes end up asking people to wear a monitor for a week - at least here in the UK anyway.

Losing weight will absolutely improve your physical health - which in turn will improve your mental health - so it's all to play for.

Can I suggest something to you?

Your signature is visual HA fodder and every time you see it you are sending a message to your brain and reaffirming the HA. Maybe consider finding a quote which inspires you to change, not stay as you are?

Just a thought...
    I am now working on limiting the junk in favour of more healthy foods and exercise. This has been a kick in the arse.

I had my pressure measured last year too and the doctor was happy with it then but I was very nervous the last two times I've gone but at least my lower value seems to have dropped slightly below 80 on the second reading yesterday. But I am doing some work outs now that work on the heart and should help me lose weight.
    If you dont mind me asking, were your readings at the doctors considered high? Or maybe similar to what mine were?
    So yes, I'm definitely focused on losing weight, now I'm not THAT overweight, I'm 91 kg and just under 180cm tall so I dont need to lose a drastic amount but I still hope to lose quite a bit and if anything work up some better stamina.

I don’t know if it will make you feel any better, but I’m 41 and seriously overweight. My blood pressure is actually pretty good for my size - last was 129/81. But - typically at the doctors it’s much higher than that. Anxiety definitely can increase blood pressure. Even the act of taking the blood pressure at a pharmacy instead of at the doc can raise the bp.

that’s not to say changing up your diet and eating healthier isn’t a good idea - because it is. It’s one of my goals for the new year. I don’t set resolutions because I inevitably fail at them lol. So I just call them goals.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    I don’t know if it will make you feel any better, but I’m 41 and seriously overweight. My blood pressure is actually pretty good for my size - last was 129/81. But - typically at the doctors it’s much higher than that. Anxiety definitely can increase blood pressure. Even the act of taking the blood pressure at a pharmacy instead of at the doc can raise the bp.

that’s not to say changing up your diet and eating healthier isn’t a good idea - because it is. It’s one of my goals for the new year. I don’t set resolutions because I inevitably fail at them lol. So I just call them goals.
    Yeah I'm not gonna go for any major changes right away, going cold turkey will just lead to failure for sure. So the plan is just to limit sugary drinks and the junk food but still allow myself something quick and easy from time to time. One option in doing that is to skip fries for instance.

Re: New heart worries. Stings and discomfort in my left side

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by scared88 View Post
    Yeah I'm not gonna go for any major changes right away, going cold turkey will just lead to failure for sure. So the plan is just to limit sugary drinks and the junk food but still allow myself something quick and easy from time to time. One option in doing that is to skip fries for instance.
    Baby steps is a good start for sure!!

Some air hunger today and felt a bit wobbly walking. Maybe a bit lightheaded but not sure, very mild if it was. Also had a few stings in my chest and shoulder, in the chest it's right below the shoulder and then on the back around the shoulderblade. I know dizziness is a symptom of both high BP and anxiety but wouldn't my numbers be much higher if I was having so much hypertension that I was having symptoms? Latest reading was 141/79.
    I am working hard towards a healthier lifestyle, I've been doing some exercises and limiting sugary drinks and junk food.

Re: New heart worries. Stings and discomfort in my left side

33 (almost 34) here, some family history of early-ish heart disease - fatal, even. I completely understand your worry, no question about that. However, I can say that I occasionally feel these same sensations, and I highly doubt they're related to the heart at all. I get all sorts of stinging, aches, pains, numbness, tingling, etc in my neck, shoulders, back and arms. Yours, like mine, is probably related to nerves and/or poor posture (same problem here).

My BP also runs fairly high (145/90) in any professional setting, even a dentist office. If I check at a pharmacy or even at home, same thing. I always relax the best I can, take a reading, then sit for a minute or two and take another reading or two. The subsequent readings are always consistent and very normal (~120/68).

A single elevated reading is not indicative of any problem. At least, the way I understand it is you need to have multiple (not sure how many) instances of consistently elevated blood pressure at rest, without any factors such as anxiousness, then you *may* be diagnosed with hypertension.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information