Thread: Perimenopause constipation? Anyone relate.

Perimenopause constipation? Anyone relate.

I want to say I'm not reassurance seeking but genuinely curious. I'm 51, still have periods, recently had bloods, pelvic scan and fecal occult test and all came back clear. I have some right side pain which comes and goes. I also have bouts of constipation which is new for me. My gp has said to leave things for a few weeks and then we can go down the route of getting bowels checked. Since there is no blood present in stool samples and constipation is not all the time I'm wondering if it's perimenopause related. I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago so I'm not worrying too much about bowels as the colonoscopy found nothing at all wrong. I have ibs but normally ibs d rather than c. Have any women here found ibs changed during perimenopause? I am taking herbal supplements which help mostly but still have odd sluggish days.

Re: Perimenopause constipation? Anyone relate.

My IBS switched over to C during perimenopause. Its an ongoing issue. I take magnesium malate every day to keep regular. Easier on the stomach than mag citrate. It’s worth looking into to stay regular. We need to get rid of estrogen through pooping.

Constipation here too. I find that taking magnesium (citrate) in the drink form helps. You'll find that a lot more things change in your body - inside and out - over the next decade. It's not called 'the change' for nothing.

Thank you both. That's good to know as all I ever hear about are hot flushes associated with perimenopause! I'll give your suggestions a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearly queen View Post
    Thank you both. That's good to know as all I ever hear about are hot flushes associated with perimenopause! I'll give your suggestions a try.
    *manic laughter*

Hot flushes and the rest!

To be fair, I'm biased because I've had the menopause FROM HELL, but this is certainly not the case for all women, so you might be one of the luckier ones. Mother Nature has given me the run-around from age 11 when I started my periods so why should she be any different when they stop?

On a positive note - I can finally wear white jeans - risk free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    *manic laughter*

Hot flushes and the rest!

To be fair, I'm biased because I've had the menopause FROM HELL, but this is certainly not the case for all women, so you might be one of the luckier ones. Mother Nature has given me the run-around from age 11 when I started my periods so why should she be any different when they stop?

On a positive note - I can finally wear white jeans - risk free.
    🤣🤣🤣

Thread Information