Thread: Afraid of long-term complications

Afraid of long-term complications

Hello people!

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I've recently had a sickness that I'm almost sure was covid, and I'm terrified that in a few years I'll have dementia or lung cancer or some other long-term condition as a result. It terrifies me that we still don't know what the disease does to the body.

I know that nobody can say anything for sure, I just want some support, because I'm terrified.

Re: Afraid of long-term complications

Sadly no-one knows but it is highly unlikely to be honest.

You can't live the rest of your life in fear though and you don't even know that you definitely had covid.

We all just have to get on with things and think the best not the worst.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you for your answer, it helps me feel a bit better. ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by singing_rabbit View Post
    Hello people!

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I've recently had a sickness that I'm almost sure was covid, and I'm terrified that in a few years I'll have dementia or lung cancer or some other long-term condition as a result. It terrifies me that we still don't know what the disease does to the body.

I know that nobody can say anything for sure, I just want some support, because I'm terrified.
    Long term effects are highly unlikely to be a problem unless the initial infection rendered you very ill.

I had confirmed Covid in October and I genuinely feel completely back to normal now. It’s kind of a rule of thumb that if your immune system wards off serious illness during infection then it’s not going to mysteriously just give in a few years after.

I completely feel and understand this. I had a confirmed case back in October. While I’m still experiencing some lingering post-viral symptoms, I’m now starting to dip my toe into feeling back to normal. And for that I’m really grateful. Mentally though I’m in the worst shape I’ve been in in awhile. Totally detached, anxious, and depressed. All I want to do is lay in my bed alone most days. I have a lot of fear about what the virus did to my body as well.

But, like the other posters have said, it’s highly unlikely that we’re going to be feeling the effects of this for years to come. Our bodies are made to fight and made to protect ourselves from long term damage. You might feel knocked off your feet for awhile, but remember that you can have that with a really bad cold or flu too. The scariest part about all of this is the unknown, but when I zoom out and think about it from a scientific and evolutionary perspective, I just can’t imagine that those of us who were lucky enough to recover from it won’t continue to recover. So I totally get where you’re coming from, but I do think we’re going to be okay ❤️

Not confirmed, but I'm 99% certain I had Covid back in Feb, and I think it was the gastric version - which could be the reason my digestive system has been playing up ever since. I automatically thought it was partly due to fibro flare as I generally get flu type symptoms, and I don't get normal colds anymore, but I was really ill for several days whereas Hubs and my son had mild colds. I had a temp, sore throat, cough and I had the shits. I'd also been to hospital a couple of weeks prior to this - and this was before the Covid thing took off so it makes sense to me that Coronie paid me a visit. That said, at the same time, I had been given some hefty antibiotics (needlessly as it turns out) so that could also be a reason for my digestive system throwing in the towel. Who knows?

Try not to stress over this because stress makes us feel crap. Your body will sort itself out. You need to work on your mind.

Thread Information