Thread: Lymphoma fear is back :(((((

Lymphoma fear is back :(((((

Hi.

So recently I have been hyper aware of my lymph nodes. The facts are that they are swollen, what is not normal is my obsession with feeling them every 2 seconds in the hope they have suddenly disappeared.

It consumes my mind. I tried to get a docs appointment but could only get one over the phone. The doctor wasn't concerned as I explained about my health anxiety (I also get a prescription for more propanol). I also described 2 pea size lumps which I had already had looked at by a doctor a couple of years back.

Anyway. At the time I was aware I had a lump under my chin, but at the time I hadn't really thought of it as anything to worry about. I thought maybe it was normal and that it was a gland that everyone can feel and that my health anxiety was just spiralling because of the 2 shotty nodes in my neck above my collar bone.

Anyway its now been a couple of weeks and I have been obsessing over the lump under my chin. There is one big lump and one smaller one. Today I got my mum to feel it. She said she had a very similar lump when she was younger and went to the doc about it. She said that she was told that particular lymph node drains spots and that it is nothing to worry about. That reassured me for about 2 minutes. But since then I have spiralled as there is another node I can feel (i think tonsillar- it feels quite wide to me), deffo never used to be there and it feels large to me.

I am under a lot of stress with work and I've also read that stress can cause lymph nodes to swell so any insight on this would be great. I have also lost my appetite which is not unusual for me when I'm stressed but combined with the lymph nodes I am freaking out.

Anyway. This has been causing me a LOT of anxiety because all three are a lot bigger than the two 'shoddy' pea side nodes I can feel further down my neck.

Just wondering other peoples experience with this as I know its a common anxiety trigger.

Re: Lymphoma fear is back :(((((

I've responded to your posts in the past about this worry. This is a non-issue.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You would have a multitude of other symptoms if lymphoma was even a possibility. Some slightly different sized nodes are 100% not a concern. Try to refocus your mind elsewhere and tackle the HA driving this worry.

Not alone. Similar issue here as well. You can read my post history—I’ve gotten some helpful advice and I try to think along the lines of that advice when I start to panic.

Thanks everyone. I am really sorry I do really try not to go looking for reassurance these days. My health anxiety always seems to be worse at Christmas time. I think combined with work stress and the pandemic it has sent me into a massive spiral. @worrywart, it will get better. Feel free to private message me

I am still feeling very anxious about the lymph node under my neck. Does anyone have any good distraction techniques or ways with dealing with this?

AnxietySufferer

I was able to finally kick the lymph node obsession (I still think about them and worry but I'm no longer allowing it to rule my life) by challenging my irrational thoughts with reality. For example, when a thought would come to mind to touch my nodes to see if they've changed, I'd recognize the thought,take a deep breath and then say out loud, "it's just a thought and the node hasn't changed in months/years so why would it be different now?" That actually does the trick and I'm able to move on. It took a ton of practice and sometimes I'd cave in but I eventually got to where I am today and it's so much better.

Find something that works for you and practice, practice, practice.

Best Wishes

thank you that was helpful

Thread Information