Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can voice hoarseness take this long? 5 weeks

Can voice hoarseness take this long? 5 weeks

Hi all
    I caought a bad viral infection after my hemorrhoidectomy surgery. For the first 3 weeks I lost my voice completely along with cough, sore throat, phlegm, runny noise.

Now is 5th week. The cough is still a little bit there especially when I lay down. Phlegm is minimal. No more runny nose but my voice is still only 80% recovered. My ENT said give it 6-7 weeks before she scope my throat and today is 5th week already. I’m getting anxious and afraid if something more serious. I’ve never have such a bad cold/viral infection before and my body still recovering from the hemorrhoid surgery.

I don’t smoke drink. Anyone here ever experience such a long time with voice hoarseness and turn out ok?

Thanks

Re: Can voice hoarseness take this long? 5 weeks

Rod Stewart's made a career out of it.

Yes you certainly can nhelen. I’m assuming you had a general anaesthetic . Many moons ago i had a semi thyroidectomy, had been in a real bad place for months before hand as it presented as a nodule at the front of throat & i basically wrapped my sons christmas presents thinking this would be the last one i’d see. However 1/2 thyroid later final results in all was well nothing sinister.
    After all this my throat was obviously hoarse could barely speak for a month but my throat & mouth where still red raw & i got on the treadmill again ‘oh my god they’ve made a mistake’ i shouldn’t be like this months later. Also had ulcers in mouth. Anyway went to see a homeopath who had his own health care shop, explained the whole sorry tale & he said well yes you’ve had a tube down your throat for an operation & everyone reacts differently to an anaesthetic, its a big trauma for the body, you’re run down & the immune system becomes low. Gave me some tablets to boost my immune system, (sorry can’t remember name) told me to stop worrying its all quite normal. Few weeks later i was back to normal again.

In your case you’ve had the double wammy of an op & viral infection. Be kind to yourself & look after yourself, i’m sure it will all get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmum View Post
    he said well yes you’ve had a tube down your throat for an operation & everyone reacts differently to an anaesthetic, its a big trauma for the body, you’re run down & the immune system becomes low. Gave me some tablets to boost my immune system, (sorry can’t remember name) told me to stop worrying its all quite normal. Few weeks later i was back to normal again.

In your case you’ve had the double wammy of an op & viral infection. Be kind to yourself & look after yourself, i’m sure it will all get better.
    I only had medicine for general anesthesia and not a tube, but I did get a double whammy with a surgery recovery and a viral infection all at the same time. It’s just that I healed so fast with the viral infection In the first 3 weeks and suddenly only these last 2 weeks I feel like I’m not.

Thank you for your reassurance. I’ll try to give it another 2 weeks. The anxiety is lurking up again. My GP suggested a throat scope to make sure but the ENT after physically check me out last week said my throat was still red so she wanted me to take more time to heal. It’s hard not to talk with 2 young kids.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Rod Stewart's made a career out of it.
    I don’t know about him. Need to look into.

I think you can be reassured with what they’ve said because if your throat is still red the infection is obviously still there & does need more time to heal. Have you tried gargling at all with tcp or just plain salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmum View Post
    I think you can be reassured with what they’ve said because if your throat is still red the infection is obviously still there & does need more time to heal. Have you tried gargling at all with tcp or just plain salt water.
    You know what? I did try before with salt water but I didn’t keep it up. Will do twice a day for the next 2 weeks and hopefully I can recover. Sometime I wish she would just scope and assure me nothing else bad going on. However her approach is waiting

I know, sometimes we just have to bow to their superior knowledge !

I had bronchitis last fall and my throat was hoarse, along with an annoying cough, for seven straight weeks. I literally thought I would never sing again and briefly thought I may have lung cancer. Then it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Worrywart84 View Post
    I had bronchitis last fall and my throat was hoarse, along with an annoying cough, for seven straight weeks. I literally thought I would never sing again and briefly thought I may have lung cancer. Then it went away.
    Thank you so much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information