Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can voice hoarseness take this long? 5 weeks

Re: Can voice hoarseness take this long? 5 weeks

It's absolutely your anxiety talking. Challenging the thought, "what if she missed something" with, "she's a medically trained professional who knows exactly what to look for so the odds of her missing something are infinitely small" would be a really great place to start on working on your anxiety.

Best Wishes

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    It's absolutely your anxiety talking. Challenging the thought, "what if she missed something" with, "she's a medically trained professional who knows exactly what to look for so the odds of her missing something are infinitely small" would be a really great place to start on working on your anxiety.

Best Wishes
    My GP doesn’t help. This is her response.why does she agree for me to seek 2nd opinion?

“I reviewed Dr Janas' note and it does not look like she saw any abnormality on the throat scope that she did.

You are welcome to get a 2nd opinion, or you can try speech therapy and see if it helps? Either option is ok - whatever you feel comfortable with”

She agrees because she is aware of your anxiety and recognizes her reassurance may not satisfy you (which it hasn't). If you want to spend your money and pursue a diagnosis that will never come, she's allowing you the choice

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 19-01-21 at 20:45.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

What a cop out from the GP. I wish you had a GP who would help you manage your HA and be decisive in her advice

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    She agrees because she is aware of your anxiety and recognizes her reassurance may not satisfy you (which it hasn't). If you want to spend your money and pursue a diagnosis that will never come, she's allowing you the choice

Positive thoughts
    she knows me very well, Fishmanpa. I was hoping she would just said go to speech therapy and don't need 2nd opinion. However, I didn't think of her angle like you've explained.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    What a cop out from the GP. I wish you had a GP who would help you manage your HA and be decisive in her advice
    she knows me very well and used to be decisive. last time when I saw her for something else, she told me if a throat scope found nothing, only option left is to go speech therapy. just surprised that she agreed with my anxiety this time for 2nd opinion :( that fueled it more. When I wake up in the morning, my voice is almost clear. then as the day goes on, feel some phlegm at the throat then the voice get hoarse. if I drink water, it clears up.

So I asked her again why she think 2nd opinion is ok. This is her response (like what fishmanpa explained).

“give it a further week and see how you feel. The 2nd opinion is more for your reassurance, as Dr Janas did not seem concerned”

Quote Originally Posted by nhelen79 View Post
    So I asked her again why she think 2nd opinion is ok. This is her response (like what fishmanpa explained).

“give it a further week and see how you feel. The 2nd opinion is more for your reassurance, as Dr Janas did not seem concerned”
    If you can be brave I would opt for the speech therapy. Reassurance allows your HA to win. Take control of your HA and reject "reassurance"?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    If you can be brave I would opt for the speech therapy. Reassurance allows your HA to win. Take control of your HA and reject "reassurance"?
    I really really want to go this way and be brave. The what if is scary at the same time too.

So I’ve been talking to my GP via email. The issue is that when I wake up in the morning, my throat is dried and my voice is good (99% good).

Then as the day goes by, I started feeling there is mucus or a puddle of water at the base of my throat that makes me wants to clear my throat before I speak. That is when my voice sounds hoarse again.

She thinks I might having post nasal drip and wanted me to try Flonase. I will take her advice. I always thought that post nasal drip happens only at night when one lay down. In my case, the symtoms happen during the day.

I told her that I would give it another week and will make decision by then. I’m hoping by that time I would have the courage to opt for speech therapy instead of seeking reassurance. I’m working on it

Thanks for reading my post.

That's a very good plan. Try the Flonase and see what happens. My son has post nasal drip all day if that helps at all?. The first time you turn down tests is hard but it is a very good way to challenge HA and has worked for me on many occasions now. I'm glad I was "brave" and have no hesitation now in saying that I only want tests based on clinical need not for reassurance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information