Thread: Is it normal for anxiety to give you gut problems?

Is it normal for anxiety to give you gut problems?

Is this common? Such as feeling like you're full, even though you are not, and stomach ache etc? I'm pretty sure anxiety messes with my digestive system and bowel movements as I get constipated rather than loose bowel movements. Just wondered about your experiences.

Re: Is it normal for anxiety to give you gut problems?

Yes it most certainly does. My bloated belly attests to that. Presently after every meal, whump ... belly blows up and aches with the tightness.
    I'm not getting much 'expression' ... ok, farts ... or belching, just tightness, some side pains and nausea. I've had it a few times over the years and each time it returns I go through the usual gamut of terminal illnesses normally starting with bowel cancer and gradually working my way up to ... 'dead this time tomorrow.'
    Ah, the imagination ... it's a capricious master.
    I'm thinning out my coffee. I drive a great deal and Costa lattes are everywhere but at 185 mg in a regular sized cup ... it's too much for me.
    Often have two cups a day. McDonalds coffee is about 80 mg and cheaper and I like it ...so swap brands and reduce intake to one a day. I definitely get buzzed up on too much caffeine and I think that trigger's my anxiety and then bloating.

Yes, the gut uses the most serotonin in the body, so when you're anxious, it's usually the first to be affected. Ever heard the saying, "I've got butterflies in my stomach" when someone is nervous? That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by suttree63 View Post
    Yes it most certainly does. My bloated belly attests to that. Presently after every meal, whump ... belly blows up and aches with the tightness.
    I'm not getting much 'expression' ... ok, farts ... or belching, just tightness, some side pains and nausea. I've had it a few times over the years and each time it returns I go through the usual gamut of terminal illnesses normally starting with bowel cancer and gradually working my way up to ... 'dead this time tomorrow.'
    Ah, the imagination ... it's a capricious master.
    I'm thinning out my coffee. I drive a great deal and Costa lattes are everywhere but at 185 mg in a regular sized cup ... it's too much for me.
    Often have two cups a day. McDonalds coffee is about 80 mg and cheaper and I like it ...so swap brands and reduce intake to one a day. I definitely get buzzed up on too much caffeine and I think that trigger's my anxiety and then bloating.
    Yeah, the hypochondria isn't fun. I constantly worry about other problems and diseases. Not good for the mental health. I understand what you go through. It is the same for me. I don't know if it's a food source that also causes me issues, but I think it must be anxiety as I've been overly stressed and anxious lately. The current global situation doesn't help with my anxiety neither.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yes, the gut uses the most serotonin in the body, so when you're anxious, it's usually the first to be affected. Ever heard the saying, "I've got butterflies in my stomach" when someone is nervous? That's it!
    Yeah that's true. Crazy how the mind works isn't it. Anxiety is really frustrating. One minute you feel okay, then the next you're experiencing all these varied symptoms.

Well, I do know that if you solve the anxiety (or at least lessen it), you solve the gut problems!

Quote Originally Posted by MrAlexander88 View Post
    Is this common? Such as feeling like you're full, even though you are not, and stomach ache etc? I'm pretty sure anxiety messes with my digestive system and bowel movements as I get constipated rather than loose bowel movements. Just wondered about your experiences.
    Stress DIRECTLY affects the digestive system which is why IBS and other digestive issues are so common with anxiety sufferers.

I developed IBS in my early 20s when I'd just given birth and my (then) husband was having a HA related mental breakdown. The stress hit my insides BIG TIME. One day I was driving home and I felt like my insides were being squeezed in a vice and I went from my usual two shits a day to numerous shits a day, and even confusing shits where I only went for a wee but my colon emptied itself anyway. Since then, I've been on the IBS rollercoaster and I'm currently hopping from my colon being on strike to the shits with a few normal ones thrown in to confuse me.

So, yes, it is normal for anxiety to give you gut problems, and how!

Thread Information