Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Als scares

Als scares

Hi everyone! I’m really glad I found this website as I have been dealing with health anxiety all year and have had panic attacks now for 8 years. I’m currently 27 years old and on Zoloft (thought that might be helpful to include). A little over two months ago I woke up with a weird almost clumsy like feeling in my right hand. I had a hard time gripping a mouse at work, gripping a pen, anything that was small it felt weird to try and grip or hold. I reached out to my doctor to schedule an appointment. He examined my strength and coordination. I was normal in everything. He hit my knees and they were very reactive but it was bilateral so we didn’t worry about that. He said I need to quit searching google (I agree) and to start counseling. I have been in counseling for almost a month now. I thought I would start to feel better but I still have the clumsiness in my right hand and it feels weak. I wear a dress shirt everyday to work and don’t really have troubles buttoning it unless I’m really focused on that. I wake up every morning and my hand feels very heavy/weak/ and sort of numb.throughout the day I feel like I can’t fully stretch my hand and my hands and arms shake when I carry heavy things. Twitching has gotten really bad in my arms and even my left hand is starting to feel clumsy. Could this be limb onset als? I asked my friend if I should get an emg to see if I have als and he said absolutely not (he is a doctor at a hospital in Chicago) has anyone else had this? Thanks!

Re: Als scares

I'll tell you what I told another new member in the thread before yours. READ THIS as many times as you need to.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree I do need to keep reading that but the stiffness (spasticity) is what worries me and the twitches that occur only in my arms and the weak hand feeling and unable to fully grip small objects

Has anyone ever had these feelings in their hands? Worried I should try and get an emg but also don’t want to spend the money if it’s unnecessary

Hi

I'm currently on the same worry as you and get the same! I've booked a drs appointment but I'm so convinced I have ALS and it's driving me insane, I just want to enjoy Christmas!

I had an ache/heavy feeling in my right hand with lots of twitching on the right side of my body but now getting odd sensations in my left arm, almost like I've hit the funny bone in my elbow, even though I've not. Ugh, isn't anxiety fun?

Again.. ALS is about FAILURE, not FEELING. It's not that something "feels" funny. Its about something doesn't work no matter how hard you try!

If you don't enjoy your Christmas over this, it's entirely you own doing and fault!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It’s the worst! But like Fishmanpa said it’s about failure! Anxiety works in strange ways. That’s why we are all here I guess!

Totally.

Sometimes I feel l like I can reason with myself in knowing its all in my head and I'll have a good couple of days. Then I'll get a twitch or pain, or slight weakness and BOOM! the fear comes back.

Still having a weak feeling and tightness in my hand and keep going to als. I’ve also noticed my grip strength in my right hand is not as good as it used to be. Starting to worry but don’t want to go to the doctor yet

Thought I was going to get better in the new year. I’ve been seeing a counselor and working on vitamin intake and cutting out alcohol to not bring about panic attacks. I can’t get the als thought out of my head still. My right hand still feels weak (I know feeling means nothing) but it feels like I can’t fully grip something like when I hold my wife’s hand I cannot fully grip her hand because my hand is too weak. It still feels stiff and my wrist is weak. Should I try and get a neurologist involved? I’ve dealt with HA in 2020 and spent a lot of money and really don’t want to schedule more appointments but don’t know what to do anymore. Does any have suggestions? My doctor knows my concerns but hasn’t talked to me and had a neurologist call me directly (I’m guessing because he knows that I’m not going to let my mind go free about als without seeing one) but I also don’t want to pay for it if I don’t need it. My right arm seems to be weaker and that’s my dominant arm. The twitching is in my hands, arms, tongue and eyes and sometimes in legs. I don’t really know where to go from here. Hopefully someone has insight!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information