Thread: Double 50mg sertraline twice daily

Double 50mg sertraline twice daily

Hi everyone,
    I was started on Sertraline 50mg tablets 8 weeks ago and after speaking to my gp the other day, we decided to increase to 100mg. However I picked up my prescription today and noticed on the label it says I've to take two tablets twice a day. Not sure if I'm missing something here but surely that means I'll be taking 200mg daily, even I do space it out? The packet still says 50mg tablets. Is anyone else taking this kind of dosage that could help? Thankyou!

Re: Double 50mg sertraline twice daily

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene14 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was started on Sertraline 50mg tablets 8 weeks ago and after speaking to my gp the other day, we decided to increase to 100mg. However I picked up my prescription today and noticed on the label it says I've to take two tablets twice a day. Not sure if I'm missing something here but surely that means I'll be taking 200mg daily, even I do space it out? The packet still says 50mg tablets. Is anyone else taking this kind of dosage that could help?
    Looks like either your GP, or pharmacist made a mistake, Charlene, because you definitely don't want to increase the dose from 50mg to 200mg in a single jump. 200mg is the maximum recommended dose for sertraline.

Yeah definitely not! I've just been taking two of them once per day to be safe until I can speak to my Gp so hopefully will be able to in the next few days. This new prescription seems to be a different brand so wasn't sure if it maybe was right becuase of that. Hopefully know for sure in the next few days!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene14 View Post
    This new prescription seems to be a different brand so wasn't sure if it maybe was right becuase of that.
    By law all generics must be bioequivalent to the brand at the same dose, so taking a different one should not affect the response, Charlene.

When I was on Sertraline they gave me a generic that didn't agree with me and I had to go back and get the brand nme one.
    The main ingredient is the same but the fillers and colouring agents differ.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Luckily since being on this generic one the last few days I've not felt any different so just need to get this dosage issue sorted! Speaking to my gp tomorrow to see if the twice daily double dosage is right

I strongly suspect that it's wrong.
    I was only ever on 50mg once daily.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information