Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In which Iris was really stupid.

In which Iris was really stupid.

I've had things mostly under control for a while, even through horrible things like losing our senior cat and what looked like it was going to be the return of the basal cell carcinoma.

I've had a nice Christmas break and after a bit of grocery shopping today I was really, really jonesing for a nice cup of coffee, which I had and enjoyed. That would probably have been it, if I hadn't forgotten I'd done it and hit the dark chocolate.

Have now been tipped over into the sort of violent panic attack where I feel like I'm about to die; got palpitations, nausea and the shakes. It'll burn itself out in time, but it's a gruesome way to spend Christmas Eve and I'm livid with myself for being such an idiot.

Lots of herbal tea tonight, and possibly another meditation session.

Re: In which Iris was really stupid.

I'm very sorry to hear of your panic attack BlueIris This just goes to show that we tread a very fine line between 'wellness' and being struck by fear. Do you mean it was the dark chocolate that triggered the panic?

Often for me, anxiety feels so much worse when it hits suddenly after feeling well. If I experience a long running period of anxiety that just bumps along, it loses that element of surprise. And with attaching a 'requirement' to be well because its Christmas, I find I pile only more pressure on myself. I do hope your herbal tea and meditation have helped. Take care.

It was the extra caffeine content in the chocolate, yes. Almost entirely better now, though, I burned some incense and had a mug of sage tea and I'm feeling nice and chill again. I recover so much quicker these days, and it's a blessed relief.

Thanks for the response, it really helped.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post

Have now been tipped over into the sort of violent panic attack where I feel like I'm about to die; got palpitations, nausea and the shakes. It'll burn itself out in time, but it's a gruesome way to spend Christmas Eve and I'm livid with myself for being such an idiot.
    Except that you understand why this has happened - and that makes a big difference. X

True, yes, and that changes it from a source of terror to a dratted nuisance. Will be skipping the coffee today, and sticking to milk chocolate unless Santa brings me something really fancy.

The "dratted nuisance" slant is such a helpful one, isn't it? Glad things are more settled now and enjoy your Christmas Day! x

BlueIris, you can still have your coffee. Decaf.
    Chocolate ok too if you have in smaller doses spread out throughout the day.
    Hope you have a lovely day today. x

Only just seen this BI, not nice to suffer something like that, especially on xmas eve of all nights. But good you managed to recover quickly!

I never drink caffeine now due to it potentially driving up my anxiety, and also a strong coffee gives me a banging headache. Decaf coffee tastes great these days, despite a few coffee snobs I know telling me otherwise! If you've got an expresso machine or something, decaf Lavazza is really nice. Something else I've tried in the past is Chicory coffee - a bit of an aquired taste though.

Just want to add that 'decaf' doesn't mean caffeine free. There is around 7mgs of caffeine in one average cup of decaf coffee. If people are especially sensitive - they should avoid decaf as well.

I'm normally fine with decaf coffee, luckily. Much better now, but I did get careless with the chocolate yesterday and landed up with a migraine.

Today I'm going to be dicking about in the kitchen making tasty savoury snacks, I think.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information