Thread: Gallbladder

Gallbladder

Hey everyone. Tonight I went to the ER because I had terrible stomach pain. Like no-kidding pain that I've never felt. My CBC came back normal, and they did an ultrasound and diagnosed me with "gallstones and biliary colic." They didn't think it was urgent enough to remove the gallbladder right away but said I should follow up in a couple of weeks. This is the first time I've ever had a gallbladder attack.

The thing that's sending my HA into overdrive is that my grandmother died at 89 of gallbladder cancer some years ago. Admittedly they weren't 100 percent sure if that was a primary or a secondary cancer. I understand that it's rare.

I'm just really freaking out right now. I know gallstones are super common (I'm a 50-year-old woman). But I'm also vegan, and I had a CT scan about 14 months ago that showed a normal gallbladder. Could stones develop in that time? What if I'm misdiagnosed? I'm so scared and worried right now (although not in pain, that went away in the ER). The ER refused to give me any kind of anti anxiety medication.

Also, I'm not sure if I should get the gallbladder out or not — the ER doc was kind of dismissive and said he sees "like 100 of these a week" and that if it were him he might wait to see if there's a second attack. I'm super confused and don't know what's best.

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Re: Gallbladder

Hi I'm pretty sure they won't diagnosis if they wasn't sure, l had my gallbladder removed best thing l ever did they pain l was in was horrific, if you continue to get attacks l strongly advise having it done, try not other think things take care xx

I had my gallbladder removed over 10 years ago and have no regrets. It was one of the easiest surgeries I have had to date. Gallbladder pain is HORRENDOUS and gets worse and more frequent over time. I remember the very last gallbladder attack I had, one of the stones got stuck in the neck of my gallbladder and the bile could not get through. I thought I was gonna die. I will never ever forget the pain that came with that attack. It took me almost two years to be diagnosed prior to that attack. Despite all the signs being there and my many trips to the dr and ER, no one thought to check my gallbladder before then.

Personally I would have the surgery and be done with it but I understand surgery can be scary and no one wants to lose an organ even though they can survive perfectly fine without it and so deff give it some thought and weigh your options, wait and see if it happens again. If it becomes a pattern try not to eat foods that have a lot of fat and see how that works out. The more fattier the meal the worse the attack will be.

Good luck
    Last edited by Careful1; 27-12-20 at 16:09.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGirl01 View Post
    The thing that's sending my HA into overdrive is that my grandmother died at 89 of gallbladder cancer some years ago. Admittedly they weren't 100 percent sure if that was a primary or a secondary cancer. I understand that it's rare.
    We've all got to die of something. Organs wear out and get diseased the older we are. 89 is elderly. You're only 50.

Also, I'm not sure if I should get the gallbladder out or not — the ER doc was kind of dismissive and said he sees "like 100 of these a week" and that if it were him he might wait to see if there's a second attack. I'm super confused and don't know what's best.
    You don't want to go whipping out organs without good cause because where one problem is cured, another can take its place. I 'operate' on a needs must basis. If something MUST come out, then fair enough. I'd wait and see if this is a one-off myself.

It's Christmas. The gastro posts on here are creeping up and it's ever likely because diets go to shit at this time of year..

Thread Information