Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared of Dying from Covid.

Scared of Dying from Covid.

Hello everyone,

I am a 21 yr old male with controlled hypertension but no other serious health issues. On Monday I was exposed to a coworker who has since tested positive for covid.

I have no fever or cough but have a sore throat and runny nose. I have an appointment to be tested tomorrow, but I’m positive I have it. Two of my other coworkers tested negative, and they were around the covid-positive coworker as well.

I am posting this here rather than in the Covid-19 forum due to the fact that much of this anxiety comes from watching my dad die of a lung disease and he was on a ventilator for weeks. It was terrifying and every respiratory symptom I have had since his death in 2016 has sent me into a panic. I am absolutely terrified that I will take a turn for the worse. I’ve even been checking my temp every 15 minutes and constantly keeping a pulse oximeter (thing that goes on finger to measure oxygen saturation in blood) on at all times for the past 2 days.

Hoping to hear from others who have had mild cases of covid, as people in my age group only have mild symptoms and that’s all I’m experiencing now.

Re: Scared of Dying from Covid.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm sorry for the loss of your father

But I urge you to check out this thread: https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...nd-Reassuarnce

As you can see from it, just because you test positive, doesn't mean it's all over. The best thing you can do besides take care of yourself right now, is to quarantine so that you don't expose others.

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. That sounds incredibly traumatic, and of course there would be residual anxieties and fears that stem from that.

To @AntsyVee’s point above, check out that thread. I started it the day I tested positive. 30 years old, controlled asthma, and major health anxiety. I made it. It was mild and totally manageable at home. Not the best I’ve felt, but nowhere near the sickest I’ve felt either. I had the flu a few years ago and I felt much worse. This time I just felt the most tired and weak I’ve ever felt, which is easy to handle when you’re quarantining for two weeks, all you want to do is lay around and sleep!

Waiting for the results is one of the worst times. Just take it one hour at a time. Keep us updated. Everything is going to be okay ❤️

Thank you guys for the kind words. I know it’s mostly anxiety, but the waiting game sucks.

Scared to death to be out on a ventilator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willll View Post
    Scared to death to be out on a ventilator.
    Highly unlikely, I think you'll be surprised how well you handle it if you turn out positive.

The 3 of us in my family who had it all say we've been sicker with other viruses. It does have some weird twists to it, I hope I get my taste and smell back.

There is so much fear attached to this virus, its really very hard not to get caught up in it.

Keep in touch let us know how you are and if you're positive we'll talk you through it. 🙂

I understand your high anxiety given your Dad's passing. That will have had a huge impact on you, but please try not to worry.

I am 49 years old, am asthmatic since aged 7 and have in the past been very sick just from a plain old common cold (one time I ended up in hospital for a couple of days as my asthma flared so badly during just a cold)

I tested positive for Covid on Dec 19th. I only decided to get tested after I woke up with a fever. Up to then I had been sick for 5 days with just sore glands, a scratchy, dry throat and tiredness. I was pretty shocked and very annoyed when I tested positive as I have hardly left my home for months and had only been out twice a week to do some food shopping. Every time I had been so careful, worn a mask everywhere and sanitized my hands in and out of each shop!

Before I became sick, I was totally convinced that if I got the virus I was going to be VERY ill, given my history and asthma. That did not prove to be the case for me. Maybe I was just lucky, but this is not the first time I have heard that underlying conditions DO NOT necessarily mean the worst for you if you test positive. My Mum was recently sick and visited by paramedics who said that they knew of several people with serious underlying respiratory conditions who made it through Covid just fine.

I hope I'm not boring you with all of this, but I just wanted to reassure you that Covid does not mean serious illness for all. The stats show that the vast majority of people will suffer a MILD ILLNESS. I would describe my own experience of Covid as being like Flu. I ached all over, felt extremely fatigued and had only a day of fever (in fact, only half a day actually)

I had no coughing.
    I had no loss of smell or taste.
    I had no shortness of breath - I also used a pulse oximeter and my oxygen never dropped below 98%

I think this is why I really didn't think I had Covid!

It is a total tragedy that some poor people become seriously ill with this awful virus, but this is not the case for everyone. Please try to remember that if you can. Youth is on your side, despite your hypertension.

Take care and try not to worry x

Hi again,

Thank you debs71, that really helps me.

I’m on day 5 of symptoms and still haven’t gotten my results back. Still no fever, but I’m getting minor chest pains all over and can’t help but associate this with pneumonia... But, if I had pneumonia my oxygen level would be dropping, which it isn’t (I’ve been keeping the pulse ox on 24/7).

I really just don’t know what to think anymore. Why can’t I just be normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willll I had chest pains for quite awhile, no pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by willll View Post
    Hi again,

Thank you debs71, that really helps me.

I’m on day 5 of symptoms and still haven’t gotten my results back. Still no fever, but I’m getting minor chest pains all over and can’t help but associate this with pneumonia... But, if I had pneumonia my oxygen level would be dropping, which it isn’t (I’ve been keeping the pulse ox on 24/7).

I really just don’t know what to think anymore. Why can’t I just be normal?
    No problem at all, willll

Your chest pains may well be associated with anxiety and worry, especially if your respiratory status is still good. It is highly unlikely to be pneumonia. If you had that, you would know it! It makes you feel very ill indeed, there is a lot of coughing and wheezing and you will not feel like getting out of bed at all. As you say already, your oygen sats would be dropping too. I am pretty confident you are fine, willll.

The trouble with anxiety is it just latches on to every little thing we are feeling physically and our minds run with every dark thought. It is maddening!

Hang in there and try not to worry. x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information