Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bony lump on the sternum end of the clavicle.

Bony lump on the sternum end of the clavicle.

So for few years now, at least one year, I've had this weird protuberance of sorts on my clavicle. It's right on the end of the sternum side of the left clavicle. I have wondered about it before but last night I started to get anxious about it for some reason. Does anyone else have this or something similar? I can kinda feel something on the other clavicle on the same spot but much smoother and not as pointy.

Anyone had this before or know what I'm talking about?

Re: Bony lump on the sternum end of the clavicle.

Anyone with any ideas?

Scared88

Sounds like perfectly normal anatomy to me as I'm quite similar.

Best Wishes

Really? In what way?

Scared88

Now you're reassurance seeking. 😉

What will be better in the long run is to trace back where this new anxiety came from. You said you began thinking about this normal sounding part of your body and then began to get anxious "for some reason." What's the reason? I'm happy to help you work through that and provide some tips to challenge whatever root cause thought pattern began this worry.

Best Wishes

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    Scared88

Now you're reassurance seeking. 

What will be better in the long run is to trace back where this new anxiety came from. You said you began thinking about this normal sounding part of your body and then began to get anxious "for some reason." What's the reason? I'm happy to help you work through that and provide some tips to challenge whatever root cause thought pattern began this worry.

Best Wishes
    Not really reassurance seeking other than wanting to know if anyone else has this and how it affects them.
    I'm not sure what the reason is other than I'm afraid of getting ill and therefor lumps are scary and of course with my lymph node worries any lump near the neck is extra scary.
    I have felt this before and not thought much about it until now, it might be a bit bigger but I can't really tell. Maybe it's the holidays heigtening my anxiety?

S88... This is truly a non-issue. We're asymmetrical by nature and we're not made of porcelain. Its a bone and bones can be and are lumpy. You admit your anxiety is ramped up and your HA is causing you to hyper-focus on your normal bodily anomalies. That's really the end of the story

I agree in addressing what the catalyst is in this latest spiral.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    S88... This is truly a non-issue. We're asymmetrical by nature and we're not made of porcelain. Its a bone and bones can be and are lumpy. You admit your anxiety is ramped up and your HA is causing you to hyper-focus on your normal bodily anomalies. That's really the end of the story

I agree in addressing what the catalyst is in this latest spiral.

Positive thoughts
    Perfectly said as always!

Hi scared88. For much of my adult life (I'm 55 now) I've been overweight and up until this year, obese. I've slimmed right down now which means I can feel my bones for the first time in many years. I was rather concerned about the lower portion of my sternum though, that appeared to end with thicker bone. I mentioned this to my Dad, who said he'd had a similar obsession with one of his ribs at one time. He is long past caring and is now 91.

So I thought to myself, if my Dad can have a rib that didn't 'feel right' and yet live to be 91 (and still largely independent), I'm sure I can accept my body as not perfectly symmetrical. As Fishmanpa said above, that's how our bones are. There's nothing wrong with your bones, they're quite normal.

I spoke with a doctor cause I wanted to have my BP measured, it was a bit high, but she said that the bone felt a bit weird compared to the other but no need to x ray. Just keep an eye on it if things get bigger or not.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information