Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older social media platforms in the 2000s

Older social media platforms in the 2000s

Although Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are the three foremost providers nowadays, I remember back in the very early years of social media, or social networking, as it was more commonly referred to back then, (circa 2005-08) there were a few others that nobody ever seems to mention anymore, such as MySpace, Bebo, Blackberry Messenger, etc.

Some also consider Usenet to be one of the major forerunners to today's now-ubiquitous 'big three'.

Perhaps some of the above that were most prevalent during the latter half of the 2000s might still be active today, despite hardly ever mentioned nowadays, especially in present-day context.

Any memories?

Re: Older social media platforms in the 2000s

I've literally lost touch with social media except for Farcebook - which I only use to 'speak' to my aunty in Australia and to spy on my kids.

Twitter went a couple of years ago despite my claim to fame that Katie Hopkins blocked me after I challenged a comment she made re autism. I had a screenshot of the blocking as my header for ages.

I axed Twitter because I couldn't be doing with with all the hatred/intolerance being dressed up as 'free speech'. Also, a fellow 'autie' (much younger than myself) called me naughty word (which rhymes with punt) when I challenged her comparison of autism to a brain tumour. Then there were the inevitable Dark webbers who deny your autism diagnosis if you are married, have ever had a job, or can drive. These people are filled with such hatred that they cannot tolerate those of us who advocate anything resembling positivity. I'd put a positive autism post up and there they would be over it like a frickin Dementor with their 'You can't possibly be autistic and like yourself!'. Also, one of the last people I engaged with was with a teacher of a secondary school who told me that he disciplines his autistic students for not giving him eye-contact when he's talking - because according to this grade A @rsehole, you can't possibly take in information unless you are looking at a teacher. So I asked him if he sits and stares at his radio? He said some rude words, put me into 'permanent detention' and blocked me before I could respond.

But, I really have no idea what's what these days. Last I heard was something called Snapshit or was it chat? Same thing - either way.

I had a dip in the Instagram pool but got disillusioned with the egotistical crap and fakeness. Also, of people's shit pics of their Cordon Bleurgh dinners and constant gurning selfies. In the end I fought back against the fake machine with pictures of my hairy legs in the bath (about as sensual as roadkill) and my empty dinner plates smeared with ketchup. I also documented shit-bags in trees, bushes, - anywhere other than the bin before I eventually hit the delete account button. BLISSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I'm so not 'down wiv the kidz' these days it's unreal. I have become a dinosaur. Just call me Norasaurus.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I've literally lost touch with social media except for Farcebook - which I only use to 'speak' to my aunty in Australia and to spy on my kids.
    Errr... and this isn't 'social media'?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Also, a fellow 'autie' (much younger than myself) called me naughty word (which rhymes with punt) when I challenged her comparison of autism to a brain tumour.
    Call someone a 'berk'. Gets past any rude word filter seemingly, because no-one has looked up the etymology of the word. It's not as mild an insult as you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Errr... and this isn't 'social media'?
    Course it is, but this is an anxiety forum. We've all got anxiety in common. I'd call this therapy whereas Twitter brought my eye tic back.

Call someone a 'berk'. Gets past any rude word filter seemingly, because no-one has looked up the etymology of the word. It's not as mild an insult as you think it is.
    I'd have preferred berk to chunt (intentional typo) because that word still has the power to shock, even in this day and age.

*off to Google 'berk'*

ICQ!!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    ICQ!!
    And dial-up Bulletin Board Services...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ystems/506465/

OOH that dial up noise you used to get back in the day of early internet...

That's how I describe my tinnitus to the doc lol

I still use Usenet to this day, and it's still active. IRC was great, I still use that too.

My MySpace account is still active. I was about 19 here: http://www.myspace.com/gv1thebassinist ... I had music and pictures on there but no idea where they gone. I used to design Bebo layouts for people too.

I really miss dial up. I've been coding since dial up days. You can laugh, but the time you had to wait for pages to load meant you either:

a) picked up a book
    b) solved the problem without relying on Googole
    c) Using text based services such as IRC and Usenet

I asked BT if I can have dial up but they suggested rate limiting my net from the router. That's not the same. I want the noise.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post

I really miss dial up. I've been coding since dial up days. You can laugh, but the time you had to wait for pages to load meant you either:

a) picked up a book
    Ex Husband hated dial up because I had EXCELLENT hearing then and I knew when he was attempting to look at muff and boobs at 1am after staggering in from the social club because I could hear the dial up.

I asked BT if I can have dial up but they suggested rate limiting my net from the router. That's not the same. I want the noise.
    I'm the same with old telephones, I have one like we had in the 70s and I love the noise it makes..

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I still use Usenet to this day, and it's still active. IRC was great, I still use that too.

My MySpace account is still active. I was about 19 here: http://www.myspace.com/gv1thebassinist ... I had music and pictures on there but no idea where they gone. I used to design Bebo layouts for people too.

a) picked up a book

I think Bebo finally finished for good in 2019, according to Wikipedia.

Virtually all of the others are still active though, even if they're now pale shadows of their former selves.

Personally I often used to find a lot of those high-pitched dial-up 'beep' sounds quite annoying and irritating, so I'm quite glad to see (or much rather, hear) the back of them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information