Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Can’t go on

Re: Can’t go on

There you go, then, the last thing they do is want to take children away from loving families.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Polite View Post
    Hey Pulisa, hope you are well. Thanks for your message.
    I think it’s the face to face side of a and e that I found solace in. I’ve used the crisis line, spoken with doctor and have had two zoom sessions with a psychotherapist, I just find it so hard to connect in 2d. I’ve been reading about the nervous system and polyvagel theory which kind of explains the human connection and safety I’m seeking.
    I’ve got a call with community team this week. I now keep worrying social services are going to take my daughter away because I expressed desperate thoughts at the hospital.
    Jonny

Don't worry about social services on that score, Jonny. There will be no question marks over the safety of your daughter. You were discharged from A&E after an assessment. You weren't detained on a temporary section. You aren't considered to be a danger to your daughter's wellbeing. Yes you're unwell but not to the extent that you fear.

Thank you. Yes they are supportive.
    But that's not enough at the moment, is it?

Going to A&E is a temporary coping mechanism but it's not the solution and "the solution" is not something which you can just conjure up. It's going to take time, understanding and patience with yourself. You know you have these periods when everything gets overwhelming but you come out the other side and cope with life again. Believe in your power to do this, Mr P? Covid has complicated the face to face appointments system but they may be necessary if the community team recommends them. My son has weekly face to face appointments so it's not an impossibility.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    But that's not enough at the moment, is it?

Going to A&E is a temporary coping mechanism but it's not the solution and "the solution" is not something which you can just conjure up. It's going to take time, understanding and patience with yourself. You know you have these periods when everything gets overwhelming but you come out the other side and cope with life again. Believe in your power to do this, Mr P? Covid has complicated the face to face appointments system but they may be necessary if the community team recommends them. My son has weekly face to face appointments so it's not an impossibility.
    Yes you are right. I think it’s partly an extreme reassurance/safety thing when I feel no hope. Which I know isn’t helpful long term. Thanks for your input.

You're not thinking "long term" when you're needing immediate reassurance and safety though. You don't think anything other than "help me now", I suspect?

"Getting help" is elusive when you're in mental turmoil. I'm sure you'll have made a "safety plan" with the crisis team? Is it any help or just words?

You're not thinking "long term" when you're needing immediate reassurance and safety though. You don't think anything other than "help me now", I suspect?

"Getting help" is elusive when you're in mental turmoil. I'm sure you'll have made a "safety plan" with the crisis team? Is it any help or just words?
    True. My safety plan just like words in the moment. I just don’t know how to make myself feel safe right now.

I think your best bet is to take things an hour at a time. Your thoughts will make you feel unsafe but thoughts are just thoughts...Not facts, not reality.

The mind has the power to generate terror and fear when no actual threat exists. Anxiety can make you feel very unwell and unsafe even when you are actually in your safe place because you are so restless and agitated, low and despairing.

Do you feel able to take any diazepam to help to calm you a bit?

I think your best bet is to take things an hour at a time. Your thoughts will make you feel unsafe but thoughts are just thoughts...Not facts, not reality.

The mind has the power to generate terror and fear when no actual threat exists. Anxiety can make you feel very unwell and unsafe even when you are actually in your safe place because you are so restless and agitated, low and despairing.

Do you feel able to take any diazepam to help to calm you a bit?
    Thanks. Diazepam does take edge off but I feel like I’m giving the anxiety more power by shoving pills in my gob.

Rubbish. Sometimes your brain needs a bit of help when self-care isn't enough and it's not enough at the moment so why deny yourself treatment which you have been prescribed?

Thanks. Diazepam does take edge off but I feel like I’m giving the anxiety more power by shoving pills in my gob.
    The analogy is if you have a broken leg, you use crutches until you can walk again or take meds for blood pressure or an infection. It's really no difference in why meds are used whether it's physical or mental. I take a plethora of meds for my physical issues. I complained to my doctor about it when he added another last year and he said "Be thankful we live in a time where a little pill can help improve the quality of your life".

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information