Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front of neck bigger on right side

Front of neck bigger on right side

When I looked in the mirror yesterday I noticed that the front of my neck is bigger on the right side than the left. I don't know if this is a lymph node, something else or just some muscle. It's down near the bottom of the neck, not far above the collar bone. It's about an inch to an inch and a half in length. It feels quite soft too. I think i can feel the same thing on the left side if I try hard enough but it sticks out so much more on the right.
    I don't know much about the anatomy of the neck. What's in the front of it? Are there lymph nodes in the front near the bottom? What size are lymph nodes usually?
    Anyone have anything similar or know what it might be that I'm seeing?

Re: Front of neck bigger on right side

Mine is too.
    I don’t know whether it means anything or not, or how long it’s been like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been a couple of threads about this lately. Proof that the forum can be a trigger to some. There are nodes throughout our bodies (500-700). If you poke and prod enough, you're bound to find a few but again, its of absolutely no matter nor concern. That said, we're asymmetrical by nature. It's really that simple

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Mine is like that and I have a slightly enlarged Thyroid.

From the location you are describing it could be your Thyroid and in some people the gland is slightly bigger. Mine has been scanned as the Dr said it felt slightly bigger but if anything it just normally indicates your Thyroid is having to work a bit harder than normal and they can give you medication. My levels are always borderline so I just take the lowest does of Thyroxine.

It may not be that but if it is then it's fairly common, more so in ladies, very easy for a GP to feel and tell you if that is it.

I was hoping, and trying so hard, to convince myself that it is just a case of being asymmetrical. Because things like that have freaked me out so many times in the past.
    But now I'm also wondering about the thyroid after what you said Munchlet. I don't really know much about the thyroid - where exactly is it, what does it do and what are the symptoms if something is wrong.
    If it is the thyroid is it possible that it is just bigger on one side than the other without there being anything serious wrong?
    I know that nobody can diagnose anything here but I'm just looking for some more possibilities of what it could be, other than what my HA mind is telling me!

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    I'm just looking for some more possibilities of what it could be, other than what my HA mind is telling me!
    Why can't you accept that it's a normal body anomaly? It's always been that way or else you would have noticed prior. The difference is you looked for something to attach your HA to

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Why can't you accept that it's a normal body anomaly? ........

FMP
    If I could accept that then I probably wouldn't be posting about it here. That's what HA does, to me anyway. Logic goes out the window and all I can think now is what if it's thyroid cancer? (which occurs mostly in women who are over 40 - that's me!!)
    I honestly don't know what to do or think now. Should I try to forget about it (don't know how I'd do that) or do I ring the doctor? And that isn't an easy thing for me to do anymore because I found out 2 days ago that my doctor has left. I don't know why or what happened for her to leave, but I'm gutted that I've lost a doctor I could talk to and who understood what HA was doing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    all I can think now is what if it's thyroid cancer? (which occurs mostly in women who are over 40 - that's me!!)
    Perhaps you should think twice about posting then. You posted about a normal asymmetric bodily anomaly, someone mentioned thyroid, you Googled and now, here you are What good does it do you to seek reassurance if an innocent reply feeds your dragon?

FMP

Just a thought, do you have a baby or little children? My partner developed quite bigger right sided shoulder/neck muscles after our daughters were babies/toddlers - because she used to always carry them on her right hand side!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Perhaps you should think twice about posting then. You posted about a normal asymmetric bodily anomaly, someone mentioned thyroid, you Googled and now, here you are What good does it do you to seek reassurance if an innocent reply feeds your dragon?

FMP
    I know what you're saying. I panic about something, I post about it, someone says something or I read something on a similar thread and boom - I have a diagnosis from the doctor in my head.
    I hate how HA works and what it does to me. It's soul destroying to be honest. When I do post about something it means that I'm usually at my wits end and desperate for some reassurance. The whole thing is just a viscous circle.

I don't know how you do it Fishman - telling us the same things over and over. I bet you wish you could give some of us a virtual slap sometimes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information