Thread: When to worry?

When to worry?

I know a healthy heart can easily stay many hours, if not days, with a very high heart rate. While I rationally know I should not worry (I am 32, not overweight, eat a plant based diet, don’t smoke or drink), I also know stress is detrimental for our health.

Lately I have been experiencing lots of big spikes in my heart rate. Yesterday it happened twice. I only measured once, which I actively try not to do, and it was over 170bpm. I was close to home and was able to fairly quickly calm myself down, though the aftereffects stayed for much longer.

A few years ago I went go my GP with a 24h holter test results I did abroad. It registered 160bpm when I was sedentary and that worried her. This always stuck with me. The physician abroad prescribed me beta blockers for the anxiety induced high heart rate. I never used it, because I am weary for meds.

My question is: at what point do these things become worrisome and dangerous? When does it warrant to take beta blockers or do something else? I haven’t had an anxiety free day in years and in the past few months it has been quite bad. Being very fatigued and feeling on edge throughout the day, mostly with a low heart rate. Have difficulties sleeping because I can constantly hear/feel my heart.

Re: When to worry?

That's a question for your doctor but yes, that is a high heart rate if you're reading it correctly. Beta blockers are very effective in controlling that and have the added benefit of helping with panic attacks.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's a question for your doctor but yes, that is a high heart rate if you're reading it correctly. Beta blockers are very effective in controlling that and have the added benefit of helping with panic attacks.

Positive thoughts
    Yes, that seems to be different with the few physicians I have spoken with. Most kind of shrug and say it is harmless, since I’ve had a bicycle stress test and a 24h holter. But maybe I should go back again if I continue having these high spikes.
    Thank you.

Being aware of the heart's natural function is extremely common for those of us with anxiety, whether your anxiety is specifically related to heart health or not. I agree your doctor is the best person to consult with. However, I take a beta blocker (Atenolol 25mg once a day) primarily for palpitations and tachycardia, and it has worked wonders for me. I've been taking the same dose since July 2015, and it works as well as it always has. So if you still have a prescription, I say it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bin tenn View Post
    Being aware of the heart's natural function is extremely common for those of us with anxiety, whether your anxiety is specifically related to heart health or not. I agree your doctor is the best person to consult with. However, I take a beta blocker (Atenolol 25mg once a day) primarily for palpitations and tachycardia, and it has worked wonders for me. I've been taking the same dose since July 2015, and it works as well as it always has. So if you still have a prescription, I say it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
    I went to my psychiatrist today and he didn't seem too worried about me telling how high my heart rate would go. He said it was close to the upper limit when somebody would workout intensely. He then said it was probably "worse" for my lungs than my heart, but not sure what he meant with that. Either way, he proposed I'd give beta blockers a go. I am currently on pregabalin and am weaning off (just started four weeks ago and am on a low dose, but it's making me quite tired). Next week a new CBT treatment will start. I will give beta blockers a strong consideration.
    Thank you.

Good to hear. I take a beta blocker as part of my med routine for my heart disease. They're designed to put a limit on how hard your heart works and that includes BPM. The only negative for me is that I can't over-exert myself due to the limit puts on my BPM. If I do, I have to slow down or take a small break to allow my body to catch up (but I'm also on a higher dose than prescribed for anxiety/panic attacks). No biggie. As I said, they're often prescribed for anxiety and panic attacks as it quells the physical reaction to the panic and the dosage really shouldn't impact you.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information