I know a healthy heart can easily stay many hours, if not days, with a very high heart rate. While I rationally know I should not worry (I am 32, not overweight, eat a plant based diet, don’t smoke or drink), I also know stress is detrimental for our health.

Lately I have been experiencing lots of big spikes in my heart rate. Yesterday it happened twice. I only measured once, which I actively try not to do, and it was over 170bpm. I was close to home and was able to fairly quickly calm myself down, though the aftereffects stayed for much longer.

A few years ago I went go my GP with a 24h holter test results I did abroad. It registered 160bpm when I was sedentary and that worried her. This always stuck with me. The physician abroad prescribed me beta blockers for the anxiety induced high heart rate. I never used it, because I am weary for meds.

My question is: at what point do these things become worrisome and dangerous? When does it warrant to take beta blockers or do something else? I haven’t had an anxiety free day in years and in the past few months it has been quite bad. Being very fatigued and feeling on edge throughout the day, mostly with a low heart rate. Have difficulties sleeping because I can constantly hear/feel my heart.