Thread: From IBS-D to C

From IBS-D to C

2020 was a roller coaster for my gi tract. I had an infection that took a few weeks to diagnose, that led to post infectious ibs. I had chronic diarrhea for about 6 months as well as terrible abdominal pain. Increasing my antidepressant, nortriptyline, to 25mg seems to have helped. But now I’m constipated instead. I still get the feeling I need to go quite urgently most days but usually I’ll get out just a little and then it’s like I freeze up. If I strain, it hurts a lot. Feels like I’m pooping knives sometimes, I also see mucus in my stool a lot and occasionally blood when wiping. I’m getting scared again that I have cancer or something that has just made me go from diarrhea to constipation. My doctor just keeps telling me to take fiber supplements but they all make me sick to my stomach. I’m working with a dietician to try and deal with it with lifestyle changes before taking more meds but so far no improvement. I’m constantly feeling bloated from the constipation too which makes it hard to eat a lot. Any tips for dealing with this?

Re: From IBS-D to C

Update now I have been diagnosed with SIBO, so I need to do either an herbal protocol for a couple of months or antibiotics. It's put my HA into high gear, does anyone have experience with treating this?

I'm starting the herbal supplements this week. I took one, Atrantil, for a few days and it made me feel awful the first day but after that no difference. I'm taking allicin and berberine next and I'm really scared about side effects. i don't even know if these will help or if I'm being taken for a ride. Still having painful incomplete evac too.

Again does anyone else have experience with SIBO? Is it something I should be so worried about?

Hi Librella, I'm sorry to say that I don't have experience of SIBO although I have read that it is more common than people think. I seem to remember a diet I read about put together by two men who had suffered. I didn't progress with reading any further as there was a cost to their website to gain further information. I hope the herbal supplements help with this and, of course, they will take time to make any difference, but perhaps rather that than resorting to drugs. I hope things go well with you and do let us know how you progress. Wishing you well.

Thanks, Joystick. I’m not on any diet as I already deal with low appetite and restricted eating (an entirely separate anxiety issue!).
    I started all the supplements and seem to be doing ok. Not better but not worse either. I’m just dreading the thought of taking these 3 horse pills with every meal for the next 6 weeks.

I’m getting a bit worried again as I’ve been having abdominal pain again and soft, Bristol type 5 stool that is still difficult to pass. I often have to make multiple trips to the toilet to get it all out, very frustrating especially if I want to leave the house. Since this is another change I don’t know if I should go back to my GI but it could be just anxiety...ugh.

I can’t take this anymore! I spent last night in bed in severe pain couldn’t even sleep because of it and it’s still here today. I even did acupuncture yesterday which usually helps but it didn’t this time. I ate chicken soup for dinner so don’t see how it could be a food related flare up, and I certainly wasn’t anxious after the acupuncture. Everything I try helps for a while and then stops. I feel so sick

Hi there
    I have also gone from diarrhea to constipation and have now been diagnosed with sibo. I have panic like symptoms every time I need to poop.
    On Monday I'm starting diet and herbal protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by sial72 View Post
    Hi there
    I have also gone from diarrhea to constipation and have now been diagnosed with sibo. I have panic like symptoms every time I need to poop.
    On Monday I'm starting diet and herbal protocol.
    I hope you can find something to help, so far the herbals have helped a bit but I don’t feel cured obviously I still have flare ups. Happy to compare notes since there are so many options out there.

Trying to reply to this instead of make new threads, but my anxiety is high again. In addition to the cramps I’ve had blood in my stool the past few times. I think I should make an appointment with my GI but I’m also scared to because I don’t want to do any more tests.

Thread Information