Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming off Sertraline abruptly

Re: Coming off Sertraline abruptly

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    So next week I'm dropping down to 50MG and starting escitalopram and I'm a bit worried if I'm being honest. The up and down with meds is wearing me out to say the very least.

Whilst I don't feel awful, I don't feel good either, and certainly not stable by any stretch
    Have you been given any guidance on how to do the cross-taper?

Thank you; panic_down_under.

Starting Wednesday: I'm to drop to 50MG of Sertraline and begin to add 5mg of escitalopram for 2 weeks, then to increase it to 10MG. She (of course) was vague about just when I'll completely stop the Sertraline and I was forgot to get an straight answer. I think my worry is I read people become suicidal when switching to escitalopram from being long-term on an previous AD. I did ask her if we could just taper off the Sertraline and then stat something new, but she said their is concern that I will become unstable - she doesn't know I'm already unstable sad to say. I guess I'll just go with it. As I said before I do know the Sertraline just pooped out after being on it for some time and the increase above 100MG caused me great distress with zero libido and further made me feel hopeless. I don't have much libido atm, but a little only a few times a month currently and I can live with that.

Again, I appreciate you advice and help

Starting Wednesday: I'm to drop to 50MG of Sertraline and begin to add 5mg of escitalopram for 2 weeks, then to increase it to 10MG. She (of course) was vague about just when I'll completely stop the Sertraline and I was forgot to get an straight answer.
    Sounds about right.

I think my worry is I read people become suicidal when switching to escitalopram from being long-term on an previous AD.
    Not something I've noticed. where did you read this?

I did ask her if we could just taper off the Sertraline and then stat something new, but she said their is concern that I will become unstable - she doesn't know I'm already unstable sad to say. I guess I'll just go with it.
    She does have a point. It is something necessary, but tapering off before starting the new AD is the most fraught way to switch ADs, imo.

As I said before I do know the Sertraline just pooped out after being on it for some time and the increase above 100MG caused me great distress with zero libido and further made me feel hopeless. I don't have much libido atm, but a little only a few times a month currently and I can live with that.
    As per a previous post there are ways of managing AD induced sexual dysfunction, but that's something for a later time. One possible positive is that escitalopram (and citalopram) are less likely to trigger it, though as with everything about ADs, YMMV.

Thank you; panic_down_under for all your help - I'll keep an open mind about it

First off.. Hello and Happy New Year everyone! Sorry I've been so quiet as of late; I've had a lot to deal with last year and still do have a lot on my plate. Anyway.. After being on Sertraline for almost a year now at 100MG it was becoming ineffective at that dosage for me and the only option was to increase the dosage. I've already tried the increase to 150MG and could not tolerate the side effects, so, my APRN told me to just top it (abruptly) and there wouldn't be any WD or negative reaction. Well.. I bed to differ?! After 2 days without it, I noticed this awful sinking feeling and swimming feeling in the head (not necessarily overly depressed though) so luckily I had 8 pills and I will take 50MG until they are gone. She wants me to start escitalopram, but she agreed to allow me time to recover a bit before starting something new. The question is.. Is about 2 weeks enough time for my brain to stabilize from being on Sertraline this long? Thanks in advance
    I swapped from Sert to escitalopram by cross tapering .
    I took a half dose of both for 2 weeks then dropped the sert and went to the full dose of escitalopram with no side effects.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thank you; Phil2, for the reassurance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information