Thread: Tongue Issue - Uneven tongue?!

Tongue Issue - Uneven tongue?!

Back again with another health issue.

I've been experiencing some burning sensations on my tongue and in my mouth. I thought maybe it was because I ate a whole bunch of hot tamales candies (spicy cinnamon) a week or two ago. Then, the other day I made a smoothie and it was very tart. Puckered my lips and everything. My tongue really hurt after. I thought it was damage from the sour fruit. But the burning sensation persisted all day. I emailed my PCP with photos.

Mouth doesn't burn all the time and I have wondered if it is psychosomatic. I often get a tightness in my neck feeling because of my anxiety.

Anyway, my PCP got back and sent over a script for Nystatin because she thought it might be thrush. Not ideal but treatable.

This, of course, has led me to be looking in my mouth a lot.

In doing so, I noticed that one side of my tongue seems to stick up higher than the other. When I extend my tongue out it is very noticeable and is at the very back of my tongue. I haven't noticed this before. However, I do notice it being like that in a photo I took on December 27th.

My mind is now racing that it must be like this because of a tumor. It's the only thing running through my mind. I feel terrified. I have three kids, one an infant.

I last went to the dentist at the end of September and my rational mind says they would have noticed something then, right? But my irrational mind says it must be fast growing and wasn't there before. They did several x-rays at the dentist but I don't think that would show a tumor.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have a habit of twisting my tongue and sliding it repeatedly along the space between two teeth on my bottom right jaw. Hard to explain and weird. I've done it for years. I do this on the left side of my jaw, but the right side of my tongue is higher. Don't know how they could be connected but grasping for any straws that aren't something that will kill me.

Re: Tongue Issue - Uneven tongue?!

We are asymmetrical by nature.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Tongue Issue - Uneven tongue?!

Quote Originally Posted by Punky789 View Post
    I last went to the dentist at the end of September and my rational mind says they would have noticed something then, right?
    Right. Dentists check the mouth, not just your teeth. And you can bet that they will pick up even the slightest abnormality with that frickin bright light of theirs.

As Fish says, humans are not symmetrical by nature. I have odd sized feet and most people have a 'good and bad side'. That wouldn't happen if we were symmetrical. We really embraced this during the eighties with those Phil Oakey fringes, though mine was due to my mum cutting my fringe with a pair of nail scissors.

You've got kids and that's probably why you have HA. I got over my fear of death as a teenager only to be hit with HA again when I had children - even worse with my last one who is diagnosed autistic.

P.S, burning tongue is also a common symptom with anxiety and I had it so bad that I was dipping into a pot of yoghurt and sipping cold water throughout the day. This symptom lasted for months, then it went away as quick as it came on.

Thread Information