Thread: How would you handle this situation?

How would you handle this situation?

The past 3 days I've been in such a happy mood. I crashed on New Years day, woke up the next day and put my every waking hour into a marketing/advertising idea. It worked. So my financial burden is off me. That has stressed me for a long time.

Today I was so happy I tuned up one of my favorite songs, stood up, stretched, smiled and told myself "Dude you've done it.". I was reflecting on the stress, reflecting on the chance of a new life.

Then I noticed my heart beat was rapid. Unusually quick. I don't know if it was excitement, I've rarely felt exactment for a long time.

This almost set of a panic attack, but I sat down and typed this.

But how can anxiety exist when there's very little to worry about it? How can excitement and happiness turn into a feeling of "omg my heartbeat is so fast".

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: How would you handle this situation?

This happens to me so often.

Right now I'm working from home (I prefer this), content, comfortable and happily waiting on a new kitten that's joining us in a few days. I meditate every morning, do some crafting then set to work with Netflix on in the background. It's bliss, really it is, this morning was no different, but I've increasingly had to fight the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Then this morning, I heard the post and went to get it and there was a letter to my husband from the NHS. I know he's healthy, and I'm 99% sure his only NHS interaction recently has been to ask about the flu jab.

Nevertheless, I went from 0 to panic in about half a second. I went to tell him the letter was there, he said he'd read it once he got up, at which point I spent 5 minutes with explosive diarrhoea that had come on from out of nowhere. 5 minutes after thatr he got up, mostly because he was aware I'd have The Fear.

The letter was to remind him to ask for a flu jab :/ Still a bit tired from the rush now, not to mention bloody livid with myself.

I always find that the happier I am, the more brittle the happiness tends to be.

You've connected a rapid heartbeat with only anxiety.

Standing up and stretching will do it do, as will......excitement....

Just shrug it off, 'whatever'....

There are hundreds of reasons why your heart rate will go up. The key is not reacting to any of them. Unless you're about to fall off a cliff.

Apparently excitement feeds us with a similar response to high anxiety. If you can, ignore the feelings and carry on with feeling good. I've had this loads of times. Be comfortable with feeling uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    But how can anxiety exist when there's very little to worry about it? How can excitement and happiness turn into a feeling of "omg my heartbeat is so fast".
    Anxiety is a physical thing as well as mental. A sensitised system takes a long time to de-sensitise, and that's why this happened. The sensitised system will be only too aware of the quickened heartbeat which can be from excitement as well as fear - and the moment your brain registers that familiar sensation - the amygdala kicks in because it remembers all those times when your heart banged like shit house door from fear. Does this make sense?

Yep sure does Nora
    Hope you are well x

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Yep sure does Nora
    Hope you are well x
    Plodding on Lola lol X

You've been so physiologically consumed with the anxious habit for so long that this rush of joy triggered a little of that old anxious response. This will subside and go away as you continue to pursue the things you're passionate about.

Happy to discuss it further with you: william_taylor@hotmail.co.uk

Happy to hear you're setting benchmarks and getting results. Awesome!

Thread Information