Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Yes Bronco was 'arsh..especially in our outdoor bog!
    Ah, outdoor bogs...

Nothing quite beats giving the loo roll the once over for creepy crawlies and hovering one's @rse cheeks just above a freezing cold toilet seat.

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Ah, outdoor bogs...

Nothing quite beats giving the loo roll the once over for creepy crawlies and hovering one's @rse cheeks just above a freezing cold toilet seat.
    You used to be able to buy expanded polystyrene seat covers for outside toilet seats. I remember my great-aunt having them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    You used to be able to buy expanded polystyrene seat covers for outside toilet seats. I remember my great-aunt having them.
    No such luxury in my nan's outdoor karzi PM.

Other outside lav memories...

Damp loo roll on the flaps. Hence I spent a lot of time 'drip drying'.

Incidentally, cool damp loo roll would come in nicely now with my menopausal flap woes...

Not what she had, but given the location of the manufacturer I'm not surprised.

https://www.pikkuvihrea.fi/en/styrof...-outhouse.html

Is that like Izal? Or 'school caretakers revenge', as I call it. It was like wiping ya @rse on tracing paper!

I shop with Waitrose when it's payday. That is, I did when it partnered Ocado. (haven't used Ocado in months - no slots) but it's Aldi by the end of the month when we've got a touch of the Bob Cratchit's.
    Good god, I've heard some horror stories about Izal 'tracing paper' in their school toilets!

Years ago many school toilet blocks were often outside in separate 'lean-to' buildings with high level cisterns and black 'open-front' toilet seats, plus inhabited by spiders and many other (non-human) 'nasties'!

That would be the stuff of nightmares for many of today's pupils, they probably don't know how fortunate they really are!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 15-01-21 at 16:22.

There is no more Panda bog roll in my supermarket. This is a catastrophe for my botty.

It is a lesser problem than it was years ago but it will always be a problem because we will always have vulnerable people and those who wish to abuse them..
    The ZT policies in day centres and the like I was referring to from the early-mid 2000s I personally perceived to be in response to the moral panic over the epidemic of NHS workers being on the receiving end of violence and aggression and soon after nearly everyone seemed to be jumping on the same bandwagon, especially in the public sector, but sometimes also in the private/independent sector as well.

I know the authorities probably meant well at the time, but unfortunately such policies have failed to lessen the problems as like I said upthread, they're mostly treating the symptoms rather than the underlying causes, so the cycle therefore keeps endlessly repeating itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Good god, I've heard some horror stories about Izal 'tracing paper' in their school toilets!

Years ago many school toilet blocks were often outside in separate 'lean-to' buildings with high level cisterns and black 'open-front' toilet seats, plus inhabited by spiders and many other (non-human) 'nasties'!

That would be the stuff of nightmares for many of today's pupils, they probably don't know how fortunate they really are!
    My infant and junior schools were like that - the boy's toilet block was actually in a different playground a few yards from the school; boys' and girls' playgrounds were separate. My last two years of junior school were in a brand new building replacing the two older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    My infant and junior schools were like that - the boy's toilet block was actually in a different playground a few yards from the school; boys' and girls' playgrounds were separate. My last two years of junior school were in a brand new building replacing the two older ones.
    Something else that seems unthinkable nowadays, segregated male and female school playgrounds, never mind toilets!!

I do often wonder whether the staff toilets for the teachers, etc were also outside and in similar conditions back in the day, or whether some schools may have had 'shared' outside toilet facilities between pupils and staff?

Or if the staff/teachers had their own indoor facilities and the pupils' were outside, that sounds pretty inhumane by today's standards!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Something else that seems unthinkable nowadays, segregated male and female school playgrounds, never mind toilets!!

I do often wonder whether the staff toilets for the teachers, etc were also outside and in similar conditions back in the day, or whether some schools may have had 'shared' outside toilet facilities between pupils and staff?

Or if the staff/teachers had their own indoor facilities and the pupils' were outside, that sounds pretty inhumane by today's standards!
    They were both Victorian schools (the junior with the separate playgrounds being the older of the two); I don't think there were separate bogs for the teachers, but this is 50 years ago for me!

My father's parents in Manc had an outside "privy". When my Mum and Dad were "courting" my Dad was so embarrassed having to explain this "arrangement" to my southerner Mum..She was unfazed and they DID get married..despite the (in)convenience of outdoor "ablutions" at the future in-laws!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information