Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Despite today's grim Covid stats, one particular shade of grey seems to be the apparent lack of reported panic-buying due to this third lockdown.

Well you all remember what happened last March, in the run-up to the very first lockdown, and to a much lesser extent in the run-up to the second lockdown in November, especially with the toilet rolls!

Have most people now come to their senses and started to realise that it was all a big unnecessary overreaction to issues that never really existed in the first place, or have the mainstream media now started to get more sensible and tone down their sensationalism and scaremongering stories which were partly responsible for fuelling the panic-buying hysteria in the first place, or both?

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

I did hear of some idiot Northerners emptying their local B+M of bog rolls and dried rice/pasta but otherwise, nothing.

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I did hear of some idiot Northerners emptying their local B+M of bog rolls and dried rice/pasta but otherwise, nothing.
    But at least the mainstream press have kept it low-key so far, if true.

Because if it bleeds, it leads!

To be fair we have to keep up with the idiot southerners emptying their Costcos a while back

I've noticed some things missing in the last couple of weeks but it's that time of year, pandemic and importers not knowing what the politicians were going to do until the 11th hour UK-EU.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    To be fair we have to keep up with the idiot southerners emptying their Costcos a while back

I've noticed some things missing in the last couple of weeks but it's that time of year, pandemic and importers not knowing what the politicians were going to do until the 11th hour UK-EU.
    Of course there were the delays at Dover during Christmas week due to the scare over the newer Covid mutation spreading between here and mainland Europe, which inevitably resulted in shortages of certain goods, but no reports of any related panic-buying though.

And if any at all, the media must have wised up and kept it relatively low-key.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Of course there were the delays at Dover during Christmas week due to the scare over the newer Covid mutation spreading between here and mainland Europe, which inevitably resulted in shortages of certain goods, but no reports of any related panic-buying though.

And if any at all, the media must have wised up and kept it relatively low-key.
    New system in place on both sides to cover the extra processing (some in a 12 month transition to help business adjust) but traffic is low at the moment.

Perhaps best to judge things as normal returns post Christmas holidays?

What we are seeing in the US is long wait times when purchasing appliances, my sister in law has to wait 4 months for a new dish washer.

My son wanted to build a new deck at his house, wood was in very short supply.

He needed a new lap top computer, difficult to find.

Oddly enough in the fall we could not find canning supplies.

Plenty of toilet paper though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Less of the Northerners.

There's a good supply of most stuff in darkest Surrey. Quilted bog roll is still a bit thin on the ground though so I snap it up when I can. Can't bear the hard stuff

Can't imagine how awful rationing must have been during the War and for years afterwards. We are so privileged really.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    There's a good supply of most stuff in darkest Surrey. Quilted bog roll is still a bit thin on the ground though so I snap it up when I can. Can't bear the hard stuff

Can't imagine how awful rationing must have been during the War and for years afterwards. We are so privileged really.
    Absolutely. A lot of people today don't know they're born, and they consider even the most minute inconvenience or deviation from the norm a major crisis.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information