Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Benson's was the fag of choice at the potbank I worked in after leaving school. I think I was on about 200 a day..

Nightclubs? Surely you mean 'discos' Terry?

Vallees? Nope. Brain does not compute. You will have to elaborate duck..
    What's a potbank Nora?

A (cannabis) shop?

A pub/nightclub/disco?

Nowadays, it beggars belief as to what people got away with back in the 80s and 90s by selling cigs (and booze) to underage kids with relative impunity, especially as not only all tobacco products have to be hidden away behind closed doors behind the till counters in all shops but also come in standardised packaging with the brand names and other info in a plain font and colour scheme. Let alone the indoor smoking bans since 2006-07, and first if all the banning of tobacco advertising since 2003, all of which we would have been considered mad to predict up until the 90s!

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    What's a potbank Nora?

A (cannabis) shop?
    The cannabis shop made me laugh Len.

A 'potbank' is a pottery factory where they make bone china/earthenware/stoneware. Stoke-on-Trent is known as 'The Potteries'.

The cannabis shop made me laugh Len.

A 'potbank' is a pottery factory where they make bone china/earthenware/stoneware. Stoke-on-Trent is known as 'The Potteries'.
    Oh I get it now, Nora.

And it was the norm of course to smoke in many workplaces years ago, even well into the 90s. It was also known for some people to booze whilst at work, even though it probably wasn't always recommended.

All seems so unthinkable nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    And it was the norm of course to smoke in many workplaces years ago, even well into the 90s. It was also known for some people to booze whilst at work, even though it probably wasn't always recommended.
    My first day at the potbank (1986) I went home covered in clay dust and stinking of fags. The old un's had a fag hanging out of their mouths while they worked...

My first day at the potbank (1986) I went home covered in clay dust and stinking of fags. The old un's had a fag hanging out of their mouths while they worked...
    Ewwww!!

BTW, I've just started a new thread in the Misc subsection about the time when smoking was the norm in workplaces.

Now I've got images of banks where we save our pot. I would dread my savings going up in flames, well before I rolled them up

Benson's was the fag of choice at the potbank I worked in after leaving school. I think I was on about 200 a day..

Nightclubs? Surely you mean 'discos' Terry?

Vallees? Nope. Brain does not compute. You will have to elaborate duck..
    I'm too young for discos other than the school ones Nightclubs in my day. So, Valentinos and The Place in Hanley. Kinetic in Longton for the ravers.

I bet you would remember Shelleys in Longton. Rough as though...

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I'm too young for discos other than the school ones Nightclubs in my day. So, Valentinos and The Place in Hanley. Kinetic in Longton for the ravers.

I bet you would remember Shelleys in Longton
    Ah, Valentinos - yes I went there in the 90s! I even remember it being called Valleys now!

I went to The Place for years - starting with the teen disco 14-18 on a Wednesday and Sunday. Once snogged a lad for about 20 mins non-stop - couldn't speak for a while after. It was a bit like that scene with Alice and Hugo in Vicar of Dibley where they kiss for the first time.

Couldn't tell you the lad's name though!

Shelleys... I was in there aged 15 (no ID needed in those days) and again at 16 when I asked my BF to marry me. Actually, it was more of a statement than a request. We divorced 20 years later.

Said ex husband once left me in The Place, and he'd driven all the way home (10 miles) before he turned around to come and get me. I had no money and no phone. I was having a panic when this bloke walked over to me and asked if I wanted some 'fun'. I showed him my wedding ring and he showed me his wedding ring (from out of his pocket) and says, 'I won't tell if you won't love. I was just about to freak the hell out when one of Hub's mates saw me and asked if I was ok. I explained my situation and he was just about to drive me home when my git of a husband walks back in cracking the funnies with his mate - as if he'd just been to the loo and not just left me on my own in a nightclub!

Hang on a minute...

I bet you would remember Shelleys in Longton. Rough as though
    Whatcha implying there Terry?

I always think I must have lead a very sheltered life when I read Nora's posts..

Terry..You're in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I always think I must have lead a very sheltered life when I read Nora's posts..
    I think I might write a Mills and Boon novel - like The Duchess of York.

Blaze sauntered over to her, looking sleek and stinking of Lynx. He discreetly breathed into his hand, sniffed, then asked Nora if she wanted some fun. Nora's heart started racing, and not in a good way. She flashed her wedding ring in Blaze's face, as if that would surely put an end to this encounter? Undeterred, Blaze reached into his pocket, took out his own band of gold, and shouted above Culture Beat's 'Mr Vain', 'I WON'T TELL IF YOU WON'T, LOVE - I'LL MEET YOU ROUND THE BACK OF THE SKIPS IN FIVE!'

What do you think P? Do you think I have what it takes to be a Mills 'N' Booner?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information