Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My father's parents in Manc had an outside "privy". When my Mum and Dad were "courting" my Dad was so embarrassed having to explain this "arrangement" to my southerner Mum..She was unfazed and they DID get married..despite the (in)convenience of outdoor "ablutions" at the future in-laws!
    Surely there's still quite a few 'older' houses with fully intact and functional outside toilets, but almost always with at least one indoor toilet (and bathroom) in the same property.

In some ways I'm quite happy that many original outside toilets at those older properties have been preserved, even if the actual toilet components (pan/seat/cistern) themselves aren't the originals, plus the addition of electric lighting and/or hand-wash basins.

And not forgetting the lawnmower hanging on the back of the toilet door as well if it might also double up as a shed!

Re: No significant evidence of panic-buying/shortages so far with this third lockdown

I've got a decrepit outside toilet but haven't opened the door for about 25 years..

I have a wonderful avocado bathroom indoors though..Genuine 70s!

I've got a decrepit outside toilet but haven't opened the door for about 25 years..

And does it have those Texture Vein tiles (often nicknamed 'chicken tiles') from the 'Cristal' brand?

Horrible, horrible things (those tiles)!

I used to see all kinds of weird things in them, such as a lamp post in the top left-hand corner, a three-legged headless man with his arms stretched right out in the top-centre, a running animal in the top right-hand corner, a sitting dog in the bottom left-hand corner, all of which used to scare me as a little kid, especially when I was left alone in the bath while she went off doing her own things round the house, which I know sounds extremely irresponsible by today's parenting standards, but thankfully I never came to any physical harm (though that's all for another story).

The pattern was available in a range of colours (on a white background), pink, yellow, aqua, blue, and most commonly, brown.

Yuk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Surely there's still quite a few 'older' houses with fully intact and functional outside toilets, but almost always with at least one indoor toilet (and bathroom) in the same property.

In some ways I'm quite happy that many original outside toilets at those older properties have been preserved, even if the actual toilet components (pan/seat/cistern) themselves aren't the originals, plus the addition of electric lighting and/or hand-wash basins.

And not forgetting the lawnmower hanging on the back of the toilet door as well if it might also double up as a shed!
    Until she died in 1998, an outside loo was the sole toilet in my great-aunt's house. It did have an electric light though - but you washed your hands in the kitchen sink - no other facility. And in cold water too, unless you had turned on the little over-the-sink heater for hot water.

Something else that seems unthinkable nowadays, segregated male and female school playgrounds, never mind toilets!!

I do often wonder whether the staff toilets for the teachers, etc were also outside and in similar conditions back in the day, or whether some schools may have had 'shared' outside toilet facilities between pupils and staff?

Or if the staff/teachers had their own indoor facilities and the pupils' were outside, that sounds pretty inhumane by today's standards!
    At primary, secondary and 6th form colleges I went to the teachers had their own toilets. Many years later the primary still did as my mum worked their part time and had to clean them. She said they were often worse than the kids!

My father's parents in Manc had an outside "privy". When my Mum and Dad were "courting" my Dad was so embarrassed having to explain this "arrangement" to my southerner Mum..She was unfazed and they DID get married..despite the (in)convenience of outdoor "ablutions" at the future in-laws!
    Somewhere to get some privacy when courting. A bit cold perhaps but it was often that or the fields

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Not what she had, but given the location of the manufacturer I'm not surprised.

https://www.pikkuvihrea.fi/en/styrof...-outhouse.html
    Cold bums in Finland for sure.

Good god, I've heard some horror stories about Izal 'tracing paper' in their school toilets!
    The reason I call it 'caretakers revenge' is that I imagine the delight of them opening up a new roll of Izal just after having to chip off hard chewing gum from off a desk or mopping up flooded toilet floors due to all the sinks being blocked with loo paper.

My other half calls me a 'Southern Wuss' due to me being born in Stoke, but I'm part Yorkshire on my mother's side. That said, I'm nesh and own a thermal vest.

I had one of those. Hideous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information