Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When smoking in the workplace was the norm

When smoking in the workplace was the norm

I started this thread after reading Nora B's comment in one of the Covid threads about Benson & Hedges being the cigarette brand of choice amongst her fellow colleagues at a pottery (she referred to as a 'pot bank') some years back, and was immediately taken aback to as late as the 90s and even still in a few cases, the mid-2000s, where and when people smoked in pretty much all manner of workplaces and hardly anyone ever seemed to give it as much of a second thought, not even the non-smokers, who basically had no alternative at the time to 'put up and shut up' as the health risks concerning second-hand smoke (aka passive smoking) were just shrugged off as a myth, even as late as the 90s.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't intended as a smoker-bashing thread, but it does make me wonder how a lot of us non-smokers managed to tolerate being in the thick of it all for so long, generally through no choice of our own.

Re: When smoking in the workplace was the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I started this thread after reading Nora B's comment in one of the Covid threads about Benson & Hedges being the cigarette brand of choice amongst her fellow colleagues at a pottery (she referred to as a 'pot bank') some years back
    To be fair, B&H was all there ever was in the vending machine.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't intended as a smoker-bashing thread, but it does make me wonder how a lot of us non-smokers managed to tolerate being in the thick of it all for so long, generally through no choice of our own.
    I grew up with both parents smoking, and I've smoked myself. I've done most things that are unhealthy in my time tbh but these days my vices are Dairy Milk and topless pics of Tom Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    To be fair, B&H was all there ever was in the vending machine.

I grew up with both parents smoking, and I've smoked myself. I've done most things that are unhealthy in my time tbh but these days my vices are Dairy Milk and topless pics of Tom Hardy.
    I guess you're not the type who boasts about your parents smoking around you constantly as a child and it never doing you no harm, like many serial pro-smoking 'deniers' still continue to do today, who are generally a dying breed (no pun intended).

But of course you grew up during a less informed time when the health hazards pertaining to smoking were less well known or even acknowledged, and for many it often seemed to be de-rigueur to start smoking simply to fit in, which I guess might very well have been amongst your reasons for smoking yourself when you were younger.

And apart from the more minute risks of obesity and diabetes, Dairy Milk is virtually nothing compared to ciggies, but obviously still best eaten in moderation, if possible.

I guess you're not the type who boasts about your parents smoking around you constantly as a child and it never doing you no harm, like many serial pro-smoking 'deniers' still continue to do today, who are generally a dying breed (no pun intended).
    My parents were of a generation who were encouraged to smoke. My ex FIL was told, by his doctor, to start smoking when he was 26 because he was so nervous. Things changed with my generation, and I reckon you'd have to be daft to start smoking in this day and age (also, minted) but I take responsibility for my own actions and if they come back to bite me on the arse - I will deal with it.

I never smoked to fit in. I smoked because it calmed me down a bit. My anxiety was orbital when I was a teenager. Then I self-medicated with alcohol and abused food- as I say - I've done a lot of unhealthy things in my time! The one thing I haven't done is drugs - aside a sniff on some amyl nitrate - which didn't agree with me.

And apart from the more minute risks of obesity and diabetes, Dairy Milk is virtually nothing compared to ciggies, but obviously still best eaten in moderation, if possible.
    Sod moderation Len. My body has pretty much rejected all other vices and most medications. I need my daily chocolate fix. It's a mental heath deal because I can't medicate. Don't make me quit the choccy-wocky-doodah or you'll be reading about me in the papers...
    Last edited by NoraB; 13-01-21 at 11:20.

Yet another pointless thread .... 'them and us' that will surely have no outcome but divide members possibly causing animosity. Especially during a lockdown.
    What do you expect to gain with this exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Yet another pointless thread .... 'them and us' that will surely have no outcome but divide members possibly causing animosity. Especially during a lockdown.
    Well I didn't intend to cause offence nor cause animosity/division.

I also stated that it's not intended as a bash at smokers in general, especially present-day ones, and it's more about 'historical' practices.

And please remember no one is forced to view threads they might happen to find objectionable in any way.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 13-01-21 at 09:48.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    My parents were of a generation who were encouraged to smoke. My ex FIL was told, by his doctor, to start smoking when he was 26 because he was so nervous. Things changed with my generation, and I reckon you'd have to a mug to start smoking in this day and age (also, minted) but I take responsibility for my own actions and if they come back to bite me on the arse - I will deal with it.

I never smoked to fit in. I smoked because it calmed me down a bit. My anxiety was orbital when I was a teenager. Then I self-medicated with alcohol and abused food- as I say - I've done a lot of unhealthy things in my time! The one thing I haven't done is drugs - aside a sniff on some amyl nitrate - which didn't agree with me.

Sod moderation Len. My body has pretty much rejected all other vices and most medications. I need my daily chocolate fix. It's a mental heath deal because I can't medicate. Don't make me quit the choccy-wocky-doodah or you'll be reading about me in the papers...
    I really do apologise, Nora. I fully own up to crossing the line there with the Dairy Milk in moderation thing. I totally understand now you've explained.

Fair enough Lencoboy, but please remember a lot of people smoke to relieve their anxiety and to cope with their mental conditions as Nora has already pointed out.
    If the smokers start getting a bashing on this thread they will feel like they are being attacked for smoking when that's all they have to get through the day. Especially if they can not take medication as Nora pointed out also.
    Like any addiction, smoking, alcohol, drugs, even chocolate, are a delicate subject to some and life would seem unbearable without them.
    Seeing as NMP is a Site for people to turn to who are struggling, you have to take responsibility for your posts and readers and I'm afraid I do worry that the thread will result in unnecessary word bashing directed at smokers.

I really do apologise, Nora. I fully own up to crossing the line there with the Dairy Milk in moderation thing. I totally understand now you've explained.
    When I say a bar of Dairy Milk a day - it's from a multipack and there are only about 5 pieces. Have I snaffled an entire family size bar in my time? Yes I have and on numerous occasions. I went three years when I couldn't tolerate chocolate without my heart going nuts - I'm making up for lost time lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I will step in and defend Len here, Carnation because I know what it's like to feel very strongly about something and that get me into trouble. It's an autism thing with me, so maybe it is with Len? I've done it with NAVS, Greenpeace - loads of things. I get very passionate about what I believe in, or don't. I once called my family murderers during a Christmas Eve meal because I was vegetarian and I took massive offence to them eating meat. I tried to sabotage the turkey and even gave it a funeral. I didn't hold back from describing inhumane methods used to kill animals. I was packed off to bed and couldn't, for the life of me, understand what I'd done wrong!

I personally don't think Len's intention was to divide or cause offence with this thread, but unfortunately the subject matter will rub some folk up the wrong way..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information