Thread: A persistent change in bowel habits

A persistent change in bowel habits

Hello all.

I've recently, over the past month or so, experienced a sustained change in bowel habits.

My whole life I've needed to poo once a day (would only be more if I was ill/had an upset stomach). However, for the past month, it's been twice a day every day. Whilst I recognise that twice a day is normal in and of itself, it is a change from what is normal to me. I guess i am wondering how much I should be concerned, given that a 'change in bowel habits' is a telltale sign of bowel cancer, though somewhat vague as a symptom.

I have also suffered from excessive gas for a longer period of time, 1 to 2+ years, with sometime particularly foul smelling gas.

Thanks.

Re: A persistent change in bowel habits

Hi mcohen, have you changed your diet or lifestyle recently? And do you have any other symptoms such as abdominal pain, mucus, change in the colour/consistency/shape of the stool?

Quote Originally Posted by invisible.monster View Post
    Hi mcohen, have you changed your diet or lifestyle recently? And do you have any other symptoms such as abdominal pain, mucus, change in the colour/consistency/shape of the stool?
    Hi invisble.monster, thanks for your response. I haven't changed my diet or lifestyle. I don't get any abdominal pain, just the discomfort associated with bloating. I do get occasional mucus in the stool. Colour, consistency and shape are all morealess the same as they've ever been.

Sounds very normal. As long as the poo isn't white, red or black and you're not severely constipated or having severe diarrhea, don't worry about it. And even then, don't worry too much and just go to the doctor
    How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by mcohen View Post
    Hi invisble.monster, thanks for your response. I haven't changed my diet or lifestyle. I don't get any abdominal pain, just the discomfort associated with bloating. I do get occasional mucus in the stool. Colour, consistency and shape are all morealess the same as they've ever been.
    From the above it sounds like there aren’t any red flags Gas/bloating is normal and can be remedied easily by avoiding certain foods like peas, beans, etc. If you Google it you should be able to find a list of things that can help ease the symptoms once they’ve occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by maryjane91 View Post
    Sounds very normal. As long as the poo isn't white, red or black and you're not severely constipated or having severe diarrhea, don't worry about it. And even then, don't worry too much and just go to the doctor
    How old are you?
    Thanks Maryjane91. Definitely no diarrhea, nor any odd colors - just bloating, and occasional mucus. My main concern is that for all my life once a days been normal and suddenly its two. I'm 26.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible.monster View Post
    From the above it sounds like there aren’t any red flags Gas/bloating is normal and can be remedied easily by avoiding certain foods like peas, beans, etc. If you Google it you should be able to find a list of things that can help ease the symptoms once they’ve occurred.
    Thanks invisible.monster, I'm not sure that I'm eating anything out of the ordinary, certainly nothing that springs to mind but will look into it.

Thread Information