Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: back after many years

Re: back after many years

I agree with Nora. BPD does seem to be a common misdiagnosis with autistic females but it depends on your psychiatrist's "speciality" as to what diagnosis you get and often it's best to get a full assessment for autism which can be a lengthy procedure but at least gives you a valid diagnosis and the chance to understand yourself better.

I have had learning problems since I was 10 I was diagnosed with dyslexia ( i use a spell and grammar checker ) but I also think I maybe have dyspraxia, my coordination, and motor skills are really bad and I had problems working in shops or even learn how to do exercise and some words I get mixed up with and can't understand what people are saying to me sometimes unsure if that is a part of ASD i tried to copy exercises to help me lose weight i was unable to do them at all as i got it all mixed up , my partner says not to focus on it but i really feel like am a big failure most of the time and its pissing me off my self esteem is bad most of the time

Processing information can be a significant issue with ASD, also dyspraxia. My autistic son has trouble with fine and gross motor skills but fortunately has no diagnosis of dyslexia.
    I think anxiety can make processing information worse but it does make life pretty challenging for both my son and daughter.

My daughter has very poor self esteem and is tormented by social anxiety. She is a wonderfully kind person though and is very loyal and caring. She has supported her brother through a terrible time and I'm very proud of her. She considers herself a "failure" but nothing could be farther from the truth.

I can't see your partner considering you a failure, Asphyxia. He's still there supporting and caring for you-you're not failing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxia View Post
    I have had learning problems since I was 10 I was diagnosed with dyslexia ( i use a spell and grammar checker ) but I also think I maybe have dyspraxia, my coordination, and motor skills are really bad and I had problems working in shops or even learn how to do exercise and some words I get mixed up with and can't understand what people are saying to me sometimes unsure if that is a part of ASD i tried to copy exercises to help me lose weight i was unable to do them at all as i got it all mixed up , my partner says not to focus on it but i really feel like am a big failure most of the time and its pissing me off my self esteem is bad most of the time
    I have coordination issues and Dyscalculia. When I was a child and teenager, I was always knocking stuff over, spilling things, etc. I was late doing laces and I was having to ask teachers to do my school tie long after everybody else could do theirs. I'm still not 100% on left and right - I have to think about it, and I still get it wrong at times.

Dyspraxia/ coordination issues is very common with autism, and if you ever want a laugh I'll do some step aerobics for you because I spent most of my time facing the wrong way and having to 'march it out' on account of not being able to move my arms and my legs at the same time. When we bought Wii Sports, my husband almost did himself an injury laughing at me trying to follow the majorette.

This feeling of 'failure' is also extremely common with autistics. I used to 'beat myself up' terribly over not being able to do basic stuff but my DX helped me to understand myself more..

There will be areas where you excel, compared to most people. What are your interests?

Aside the dyslexia, you sound a lot like me...

Hi There

I am back on here after many years away too, somehow being on here makes me feel safe and i am amongst family and friends xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information