Thread: Recurrent fevers in kid, health anxiety spiraling

Recurrent fevers in kid, health anxiety spiraling

Not sure if there is a different location I should post this, but I've gone through phases of health anxiety over the years and have felt like I've made pretty decent progress in getting to a point where I can *mostly* manage it when things come up. But this latest one is kind of throwing me off. My child is 18 months and has been having recurrent fevers. He's had them 4 months in a row, either 4 or 5 weeks apart, and they last 3-4 days each time. Because he has no other symptoms with these other than swollen lymph nodes, each time the doctor has wanted to do a number of tests - COVID, strep, and urine analysis to rule out UTI. They've all come back negative. I haven't connected with the doctor yet during this fever episode but my suspicion is something called Periodic Fever Syndrome which I had never heard of before, but in talking about it to people have found 3 different friends/acquaintances who have had children who have had this in their toddler/early kid years. It's basically a fever response that occurs on a cyclical basis for an unknown reason, often accompanied by swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, and mouth sores. The child apparently usually grows out of it, usually in a few years. It's apparently not very common but it seems amazing to me that in just mentioning to a few others, 3 people's kids have also had this diagnosis. In two of those kids, this went on for only 6 months or so and then stopped. In the other, it was more like a year or two I think.

I'm spiraling into health anxiety over this because I feel like there are so many unknowns and what-ifs. What if it's something more severe? What if my child is going to die? How am I going to cope with going through this miserable thing every month with my toddler? He is miserable when it happens, and I have to care for him while also watching my other older son, and my husband often works so much that he can't be around except in the late evenings. I'm also newly pregnant again, and this episode has made me question whether it's even a good idea to have another baby if my one child is going to have this medical condition requiring so much extra care. (We have desperately wanted another baby and are otherwise thrilled to be pregnant, so the fact that I'm scared now about this is especially telling about my anxiety level). I have mentioned on here before I have superstitious anxiety like many of us, I'm sure, and sort of believe "things are out to get me." Like, what are the chances someone with health anxiety specifically will have a kid who has recurrent high fevers, when fevers can be one of the scariest things for parents to watch little kids go through? And now there's no known cause for them? And now I have to go through this every single month?? For maybe years?? Also during COVID when everything is already so overwhelming and there's no social support? It just feels like a cruel joke, like "I deserve this" for being such an anxious person. I know how wrong and perverse that sounds, but I guess that's kind of my underlying issues with shame and feeling like "I will get what I deserve" type of thinking.

Anyways, not sure what I'm even looking for here besides some encouragement. I have health anxiety about my own health when things come up, but it has seemed since having kids that when they are having some type of questionable medical issue, that has been especially hard for me to deal with. Wondering if others on here struggle more with that type of anxiety specifically, and how they have found is the best way to manage it.

Thanks

Re: Recurrent fevers in kid, health anxiety spiraling

I’m exactly this way and many of the things you’ve thought are thoughts I have had. “Can someone with HA really get so unlucky to have some truly horrible medical mystery happen to them? Do I deserve this or worse, did I bring this about in my universe due to my constant worrying?” (I got this concept from “The Secret”—it is stupid and I don’t recommend reading or watching it lol.)

I worry about myself AND since becoming a parent have worried endlessly over weird things that have cropped up with my three kids. Cannot tell you the number of times I have become an expert via Google on some horrible pediatric ailment and then nothing came of it and I moved onto the next worry. In my Googling, I also read a lot about that syndrome you mentioned.

Is your pediatrician concerned at all? The best thing I’ve found for myself is to tell them what I am worried about and have them explain to me why I shouldn’t be worried. I really trust our pediatrician, so much so, that his words are powerful enough to snap me out of an HA spiral and no further reassurance is needed (can’t say this about my own doctors though lol).

They know the standard of care and when to check to see if something is serious or whether it’s not worth investigating.

Re: Recurrent fevers in kid, health anxiety spiraling

Quote Originally Posted by Worrywart84 View Post
    I’m exactly this way and many of the things you’ve thought are thoughts I have had. “Can someone with HA really get so unlucky to have some truly horrible medical mystery happen to them? Do I deserve this or worse, did I bring this about in my universe due to my constant worrying?” (I got this concept from “The Secret”—it is stupid and I don’t recommend reading or watching it lol.)

I worry about myself AND since becoming a parent have worried endlessly over weird things that have cropped up with my three kids. Cannot tell you the number of times I have become an expert via Google on some horrible pediatric ailment and then nothing came of it and I moved onto the next worry. In my Googling, I also read a lot about that syndrome you mentioned.

Is your pediatrician concerned at all? The best thing I’ve found for myself is to tell them what I am worried about and have them explain to me why I shouldn’t be worried. I really trust our pediatrician, so much so, that his words are powerful enough to snap me out of an HA spiral and no further reassurance is needed (can’t say this about my own doctors though lol).

They know the standard of care and when to check to see if something is serious or whether it’s not worth investigating.
    Thanks for your response. Our pediatrician is pretty good as is the whole clinic we go to. I trust the doctor a lot and she is very thorough, but I think her thoroughness and level of detail she provides sometimes leads me to worry more than I otherwise would. She seemed puzzled when my son had his first couple fevers with no other symptoms and that kind of freaked me out. I have yet to connect with her this week to discuss this latest fever which to me has now formed an obvious pattern. Hoping the conversation puts me at ease a little bit. A friend whose child also had this syndrome for about 6 months explained that their pediatrician was very nonchalant about it, not extremely concerned, said it was even somewhat common in this age group. That put me at ease a little. And from what I have read online, the syndrome is considered benign despite not being really well understood as far as why it happens or what causes the fevers. I did read a research paper online that looked at how PFS impacts kids and families and that really freaked me out because it took posts from several years on a facebook group on the syndrome and analyzed them to see what the syndrome's impacts were. It made it sound like these families were completely overwhelmed by it, missing a ton of work, kids missing school, miserable. It sounded extremely scary and overwhelming. However, I'm aware that the people whose kids maybe have 6 months of this syndrome or even a year but it's manageable - those people aren't the ones joining facebook groups and complaining about years of this syndrome affecting them. The people who are more likely to be in those groups are those who have had the worst and most ongoing experiences, most likely. So I guess it's kind of a self-selecting group.

Anyways, hoping that connecting with the pediatrician will give me a little hope and less anxiety.

Thread Information