Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adverse effects of mindfulness?

Re: Adverse effects of mindfulness?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Exercise increases my anxiety.

Should I stop exercising, or should I manage my reaction to it?
    This isn't a flippant 'reaction' to it, I'm not even doing it anymore, and haven't done for months, it's just how I've been for nearly a year now, and I genuinely think it was that introspection that has caused it. I'm not doing a meditation and thinking "I feel yucky", I did everything my therapist told me to, and now I'm stuck like this. It's more how do I undo it.

I get it, more than you would realize; it makes perfect sense. I sort of feel this way about meditation - I opened/unlocked "The third eye" [perception beyond ordinary sight]. I do recommend the 'Use the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding method to notice your surroundings' to bring things back into focus when one goes too deep into their own mind and get lost with those racing *intrusive* thoughts. Accept your thoughts without judgment, it won't do any good to beat yourself up over them, allow them to pass and don't revisit them. Honestly, sometimes force yourself to break the cycle. I have to go out for a shot walk sometimes to halt my hyper-awareness. I will do just that shortly and think about this more, and hopefully return to you with more advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    I get it, more than you would realize; it makes perfect sense. I sort of feel this way about meditation - I opened/unlocked "The third eye" [perception beyond ordinary sight]. I do recommend the 'Use the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding method to notice your surroundings' to bring things back into focus when one goes too deep into their own mind and get lost with those racing *intrusive* thoughts. Accept your thoughts without judgment, it won't do any good to beat yourself up over them, allow them to pass and don't revisit them. Honestly, sometimes force yourself to break the cycle. I have to go out for a shot walk sometimes to halt my hyper-awareness. I will do just that shortly and think about this more, and hopefully return to you with more advice.
    That is exactly what I mean! It's like I've seen something that I wish I could unsee. I wish I was blissfully unaware of the workings of my mind like I used to be, but now it's all laid out in front of me, 24/7, and I'm trapped, carefully treading around it's nonsense.

Ok, I can feel your anguish. we're going for a mindset that attracts balance​ instead of repelling it. You're right, lots of it is (indeed) nonsense - remember that - but don''t fight it. For now.. I'm going to recommend you avoid self talk (for now)...in your current state/frame of mind, it will likely be negative, and while awareness isn't damaging, negative self talk IS. You aren't "trapped" even though it feels that way. You are just stuck in an endless loop. Going to just post this for now as it came to me.

Thanks, and it's in line with what I've been trying.

The way I see it, is that if you think something is wrong with your breathing / your heart / your swallowing (or my teeth which was a bad one for me!) for example, you can't help but notice everything about them things. I feel that I have done this with my mind, taught myself, inadvertently, to become fixated on it, and now I'm noticing everything it does, meaning I'm trapped in it, so much so, that the real world feels alien to me, hence the derealisation and weird disconnected intrusive thoughts.

I've tried just ignoring it, and just cracking on, and I do get a break sometimes, mostly when I'm running, but it's been so long now, and the focus just isn't shifting. I'm sure if I keep ignoring it, then one day I will forget to worry about it, and the obsession will be broken, it's just been so long now, that I'm becoming less and less sure that will happen.

This is the other problem, talking about it makes me panic, because it's so hard to get my head around, and I get so confused and frightened about what's happening to me, and what's going to happen to me, that my head gets so muddled that it ends up in panic.

Maybe just don't meditate.

Then you won't have to partake in another 200 page thread about why you can't do it and you won't have to over analyse it.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Maybe just don't meditate.

Then you won't have to partake in another 200 page thread about why you can't do it and you won't have to over analyse it.
    I'm not going to.

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    That is exactly what I mean! It's like I've seen something that I wish I could unsee. I wish I was blissfully unaware of the workings of my mind like I used to be, but now it's all laid out in front of me, 24/7, and I'm trapped, carefully treading around it's nonsense.
    It's like using Dr Google for HA purposes. You can't unread the "diagnosis" of your symptoms which undoubtedly mean a sinister and terminal illness

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    ...t's just been so long now, that I'm becoming less and less sure that will happen.
    Well.. the future hasn't happened yet, and we shouldn't try to predict whats ahead. What helps me is to remember...I have control over the here and now - today. That's great to hear you get some relief while running. Agree: For now, avoid meditation, its very powerful, and not done right, it could have a counterproductive result. Try to shift the focus away from whats nagging you, and rob it of its power - you do have it in you to block this and release its hold on you. In turn, give the power to the things that will keep you on track such as your running, as well as other parts of your daily routine. Try (I know - easier said than done) to not dwell on what *seems* wrong and enjoy what is right. Again, from someone like myself dealing with horrific OCD, I understand all too well. PS - sorry for the edits - I"m typing while I think Lol..
    Last edited by Scissel73; 13-01-21 at 21:04.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information