Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prozac/ Fluoxetine side effects please help

Prozac/ Fluoxetine side effects please help

Hi, guys. Someone please give me hope. I’m feeling so beyond low right now. I just started 5mg of Prozac a week ago and the side effects are just draining. I am constantly anxious, which i know is normal, but I’ve had to take half of a Xanax almost every single day so far because I feel so awful! Every single side effect I get, I think is something awful and like I’m going to die. I also can barely eat. I have 0 appetite because nothing sounds good; I’m having to force feed myself but it still is barely anything.
    I’m waking up anxious, even. I just feel awful. Please please please tell me this will get better and please let me know if you’ve had anything similar. 😢
    I feel like if I Was at least eating more, I’d feel better, but nothing sounds good 😢

I’ve been on Prozac a million times before but went off because I was feeling better, which I know is so stupid to do, but I’ve learned my lesson, trust me.

Also, my first dose was 10mg but felt absolutely terrible so went down to 5mg.

Re: Prozac/ Fluoxetine side effects please help

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I had a very positive day today. Much better than yesterday (goodness gracious). Which gives me much more hope! I also didn’t realize high anxiety can cause throat inflammation! Also coupled with hyperventilating... yikes!
    Anyway, I’m feeling more positive today for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeygirl55 View Post
    I’ve been on Prozac a million times before but went off because I was feeling better, which I know is so stupid to do, but I’ve learned my lesson, trust me.

Also, my first dose was 10mg but felt absolutely terrible so went down to 5mg.
    The "million times before" probably explains the difficulty you're having. For reasons that are unclear initial side-effects may become progressively more severe and/or different each time an antidepressant is stopped and restarted. They may also take longer to kick-in each time too and require a higher dose to achieve previous levels of control over the disorder. The chances of the med working may also drop. All of which makes a compelling case for staying on the AD permanently if you keep relapsing. Something to consider and discuss with your GP anyway.

I also didn’t realize high anxiety can cause throat inflammation! Also coupled with hyperventilating... yikes!
    An anxious mind in full flight can produce just about every symptom imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    The "million times before" probably explains the difficulty you're having. For reasons that are unclear initial side-effects may become progressively more severe and/or different each time an antidepressant is stopped and restarted. They may also take longer to kick-in each time too and require a higher dose to achieve previous levels of control over the disorder. The chances of the med working may also drop. All of which makes a compelling case for staying on the AD permanently if you keep relapsing. Something to consider and discuss with your GP anyway.

An anxious mind in full flight can produce just about every symptom imaginable.
    Thank you for your reply! I’ve actually seen you say this on other threads, which comforted me a little lol!

Quick question- it’s normal for Prozac to cause frequent urination, right? I’ve had it happen twice since starting 9 days ago! I get anxious over something and then I can’t stop peeing lol, but I’m of course drinking a lot during this too to try to calm myself down. Just was hoping to get reassurance from you. :(

Quick question- it’s normal for Prozac to cause frequent urination, right? I’ve had it happen twice since starting 9 days ago! I get anxious over something and then I can’t stop peeing lol, but I’m of course drinking a lot during this too to try to calm myself down. Just was hoping to get reassurance from you. :(
    Both frequent peeing and reduced urine output are listed side-effects, as is increased thirst, so it may be a side-effect, however, it can also be an anxiety symptom and given you say the two instances occurred when you were feeling anxious suggests this and the extra drinking (I hope not alcohol) may have been the more significant factor.

Both frequent peeing and reduced urine output are listed side-effects, as is increased thirst, so it may be a side-effect, however, it can also be an anxiety symptom and given you say the two instances occurred when you were feeling anxious suggests this and the extra drinking (I hope not alcohol) may have been the more significant factor.
    Yeah, they both occurred immediately after I got anxious about something! So it’s certainly not constant. Then I was drinking a ton of water to try to calm down! I have noticed dry mouth since taking Prozac, too. I just, of course, can’t rationalize right now! I had such a GREAT day yesterday. I had an appetite, no symptoms of side effects, nothing. And then I got super sleepy (as Prozac makes me), and got anxious about it, then the pee fit happened. Same thing happened the first time days ago after starting Prozac.

Day 9? I think lol:

Another awful day. I keep waking up with morning anxiety and it’s just the worst. I had such a wonderful day yesterday... I didn’t have any side effects or anything. I felt more normal. Today, I am feeling extremely low and overly anxious. I refused to take half a Xanax today, like I’ve normally been doing. I don’t want to get addicted. Anyway, any words of encouragement would be great. I’m constantly feeling like giving up on these meds because of how awful I feel most days. I guess it’s a good sign I felt better yesterday, but still. The bad days are just so hard. I just want to cry :(
    I feel like there’s so much wrong with my body right now and it’s so hard feeling this low.
    I’ve been tossing and turning in my sleep and getting waves of anxiety in my sleep, it is horrific.

Please, tell me this is going to be worth it.

I’m constantly feeling like giving up on these meds because of how awful I feel most days. I guess it’s a good sign I felt better yesterday, but still. The bad days are just so hard. I just want to cry :(
    I feel like there’s so much wrong with my body right now and it’s so hard feeling this low.
    I’ve been tossing and turning in my sleep and getting waves of anxiety in my sleep, it is horrific.
    It is easy to fall into the trap of blaming everything on the AD, but not everything you're experiencing is necessarily down to the fluoxetine. Anxiety may be a driver of some of it too, perhaps the main one.

If you're having trouble sleeping then a dose of the otc antihistamine Benadryl containing diphenhydramine as the active ingredient an hour before bed may help as it is mildly sedating - so don't drive until you work out how it affects you. You could also try taking it instead of alprazolam (Xanax) for anxiety. Alternatively, ask your doctor to prescribe *hydroxyzine, a stronger antihistamine with good anti anxiety properties. It isn't as potent as alprazolam, but it may be potent enough to make a substantial difference.

*Hydroxyzine comes in two forms, hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) and hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax). Anecdotally, the pamoate form is claimed to be the more effective anxiolytic, but just how true this is remains a matter of debate in forums.

Please, tell me this is going to be worth it.
    It almost always is, but as with so much in life, there is no 100% guarantee.

It is easy to fall into the trap of blaming everything on the AD, but not everything you're experiencing is necessarily down to the fluoxetine. Anxiety may be a driver of some of it too, perhaps the main one.

If you're having trouble sleeping then a dose of the otc antihistamine Benadryl containing diphenhydramine as the active ingredient an hour before bed may help as it is mildly sedating - so don't drive until you work out how it affects you. You could also try taking it instead of alprazolam (Xanax) for anxiety. Alternatively, ask your doctor to prescribe *hydroxyzine, a stronger antihistamine with good anti anxiety properties. It isn't as potent as alprazolam, but it may be potent enough to make a substantial difference.

*Hydroxyzine comes in two forms, hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) and hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax). Anecdotally, the pamoate form is claimed to be the more effective anxiolytic, but just how true this is remains a matter of debate in forums.

It almost always is, but as with so much in life, there is no 100% guarantee.
    You’re definitely right! I think a lot of this crap stems from the heightened anxiety. I also can talk myself into having basically any symptom, too. I’m just REALLY, really kicking myself for going off of Prozac the 10 other times I did because this crap is debilitating!

I did have one good day on the 14th, so 2 days ago. And I’m finally starting to eat more regularly now! Also having a really good night right now since I ate dinner... I think a lot of this also has to do with the fact that I’ve barely been eating. My BP and blood sugars are probably so low and like wtf lol. My main worry right now is diabetes! All of these side effects can be diabetes and it freaks me out! Diabetes symptoms don’t just come and go, though, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information