Thread: 12 year old and uv light for nails?

12 year old and uv light for nails?

I'm just looking for some opinions, maybe someone knows about this. I obviously can't google it

About 12 months ago I decided to treat my daughter and let her get her nails done. She was 12 at the time. A few places I rang said they wouldn't do her nails because she was under 16. I got through to a place then who said they would do them.
    I've never got my own nails done so I don't know much about it. I'm not even sure what's its called. They paint on a layer, she put her hand under a light (uv?) for a few minutes. Then they paint on another layer and this goes on a few times.
    Is there any chance that the uv light (I presume that's what it was to dry her nails) could damage her nails or lead to cancer?
    Why are a lot of nail parlours refusing to do it to under 16 years olds? I'm panicking a bit about it now.
    It was a very respectable place I took her to. There was also another girl about her own age getting it done too.

This is one of those lingering thoughts that I find harder to shake off as it could be years down the road when the damage is done.

Re: 12 year old and uv light for nails?

What triggered these thoughts about your daughter's nails? Have you been looking at them and thinking about them for any particular reason?

If UV lights could cause cancer after a few minutes exposure, do you really think they'd be allowed to use them on anybody at all?

Of course there's no real risk here.

It's probably the equivalent of her smoking one cigarette.

No I didn't look at her nails Pulisa. What triggered this was about 6 months ago she got a present of a do it yourself nail kit and there was some sort of uv light in the box as well. I read the instructions one day and it said not to use it if you're under 16. So she never used it, we put it away. I did get worried back then after reading that, thinking about when she had got her nails done about 6 months beforehand when she was only 12.
    I was sorting through some stuff today and came across the nail kit box. That triggered the idea in my head again and I just couldn't let it go. Why do they say nobody under 16 should use these things?

Anxietyjoe - I get what you're saying but the same thing could be said about sunbeds. We all know that they are dangerous, can very possibly cause skin cancer, even after one use as far as I know. But yet they allow people to use them.
    I don't know how strong these nail uv lights are compared to sunbeds. It's the fact that they don't recommend, or many of them allow, under 16 year olds to use them is what's concerning me. The nails and skin are obviously more delicate at a younger age so is it easier to do damage to them?

C'mon BGirl... This is truly a non-issue

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information