Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these really ectopic beats?

Are these really ectopic beats?

I've had weird palpitations on and off for a few years now. From what I've read, and the GPs guess, I'm having ectopic beats.She won't refer me as we've never caught an event on a monitor and she listened to my heart and said it sounded ok. (*Edit, as future posts might be confusing otherwise - Never caught an event tied to this specific drop feeling, but have caught ectopics and fast hr that I didn't feel) She thinks I am experiencing a skipped beat, but I'm wondering if she feels I'm overdramatising the symptoms. I'm really not.

The sensation I feel is really, really intense. Not the kind you could ignore or miss. All I keep getting told is that lots of people have ectopic beats and most don't feel them because they're not anxious.

There's no way on earth this is a sensation that I'm too focused on.

Basically, what I feel is a HUGE drop feeling in my chest. It's like my heart is suddenly free falling. I can't catch my breath when it happens. It's extremely intense. This drop feeling lasts maybe 1-4 seconds, and it feels like my heart is being squeezed/is fluttering/or stopped. My throat will feel like its tightening too. Then, I'll feel a hard thump. Sometimes I don't feel the thump, and there's a second drop feeling straight after the first. I can only guess it's two ectopics in a row. It genuinely feels like my heart will never start again I feel all shaky after it happens, especially if there is more than one in a row.

I managed to feel my pulse while one was happening this morning, and there was a pause/faint beat then huge beat. It's the first time I've actually felt my pulse when one happened. It didn't make me feel any better as I was hoping it was just a muscle spasm.

They don't happen frequently, maybe once every couple of months or so. I often forget about them until they happen again out of the blue.

Also really worried about the dreaded ventricular tachycardia. Yep the sudden death one. Would a holter monitor pick up signs of that even if I didn't have symptoms while wearing it?

If anybody reads this and feels the same sensation, please tell me, because I'm getting really scared of these. I only seem to find a lot of people talking about milder sensations. I've had the milder sensations, like tiny pauses and thumps and flutters, and I ignore them pretty well. But the ones I'm talking about are definitely a different feeling. It would just be comforting to know that others had the same intense ones I'm having. It's such a hard thing to describe.
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 22-02-21 at 09:25.

Re: Are these really ectopic beats?

So I did a bit more reading, and a sinking feeling can happen with some ectopics it seems. Something to do with the blood flow getting interrupted to lungs and stomach etc while the heart does its awesome "I'm going to pause and scare you to death" thing. Still scared of what could be causing these, but nothing in life is certain I guess!

Maybe this might help somebody else

I'm not sure if that's what I get or not. But a little worried. Its happened a few times now. Once when I was walking and twice when I was bent over. I havema hard time explaining what happens. It goes black for a split second, not sure if I'm not breathing or my heart skips a bit. Then I get super panicked, my heart is beating like crazy and I have pain in the middle of my chest. As soon as I sit down, take some deep breaths and calm down, the pain goes away and the heat beats slow down. Isn this ectopic heartbeat

Yes what you are describing are missed beats ive had them for years and still scare me to death. Ive been having a hard time again with palpations so I understand how you feel.

Thank you

I've also had similar sensations over the years. Sometimes I get the fluttery palpitations but also like the ones you described. It's like my heart forgets to beat for a couple of seconds and then there's like a surge, followed by a heavy thud feeling and a few beats where it's trying to catch up with it self.

I had a 24 ECG test to investigate and the monitor picked up around 80 of these events. My GP said they were benign ectopic beats, so totally harmless. What I've noticed is that yes my anxiety can have an impact but so can other things. Hormonal changes can be trigger and I also have an underactive thyroid. When my thyroid levels are off, this can cause the palpitations too.

You've had them checked out. Your heart is OK. I know these are scary, mine still scare me, but they're not going to hurt you. Maybe try keep a log of when they're happening see if you notice a pattern... What are you doing/feeling?

I have DEFINITELY had exactly what you are describing worryraptor. Intense, freaky. I had them “start” when I was overseas which added to my anxiety because no family was with me and health care concerns etc.

I can guarantee you that what you are feeling is ABSOLUTELY due to anxiety and you are noticing them more than other people.

It has been over 2 years for me when they were constant. I went through a lot of meditation, yoga, and other calming activities. It took about 2-3 months for me to let it go.

I still feel them, but I know what they are, and I don’t let myself feed on the fear. They ARE benign, they do happen to everyone, and your anxiety IS making you more aware of them.

Focus your energy on mental well-being. Laugh, meditate, focus on each moment and appreciate the time you have now.

No one thinks, “ha, I was right” when they’re dying, instead you think of what you missed. Don’t miss the moments that count. (No I am not saying you are dying).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NessMonster View Post
    I've also had similar sensations over the years. Sometimes I get the fluttery palpitations but also like the ones you described. It's like my heart forgets to beat for a couple of seconds and then there's like a surge, followed by a heavy thud feeling and a few beats where it's trying to catch up with it self.

I had a 24 ECG test to investigate and the monitor picked up around 80 of these events. My GP said they were benign ectopic beats, so totally harmless. What I've noticed is that yes my anxiety can have an impact but so can other things. Hormonal changes can be trigger and I also have an underactive thyroid. When my thyroid levels are off, this can cause the palpitations too.

You've had them checked out. Your heart is OK. I know these are scary, mine still scare me, but they're not going to hurt you. Maybe try keep a log of when they're happening see if you notice a pattern... What are you doing/feeling?
    Good idea! I'll try to log what I'm doing when they happen.

Most of the time they happen at complete rest, usually if I'm leaning slightly to the side. I'm pretty sure mine are caused by gastric issues now that I've looked more into it. My vagus nerve seems really easily irritated by stomach acid, and my stomach gets inflamed from food sensitivities. My doctor didn't really think the two are connected, but I've seen a lot of opposing opinions from professionals who are quite sure the stomach can do it. Basically it messes with the electrical signal for a sec so I get that "dropping 20 floors in an elevator" feeling. 99% of the time when they happen, a lot of acid and heartburn follows over the next half hour. I definitely agree that hormones can play into them too. I do have hormonal imbalances due to PCOS.

Just as I thought I was fine, my Apple Watch ECG (Doctor advised me to use it to try catch things if I felt them as we never caught anything on my holter monitor), decided to give me a scary reading. Somebody I know who is an ECG tech looked at it and said it looked like a classic SA block. They also said the watch was highly unlikely to take a false reading and give such a precise arrhythmia. SA block is a long pause in the heart due to an electrical signal getting blocked, making the heart pause. Not a blockage like an artery blockage, but broken signals I guess? It tends to be progressive and cause more lost signals down the line. I really hope this isn't the case.

So now I'm anxiously awaiting an appointment. This is exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maude56 View Post
    I'm not sure if that's what I get or not. But a little worried. Its happened a few times now. Once when I was walking and twice when I was bent over. I havema hard time explaining what happens. It goes black for a split second, not sure if I'm not breathing or my heart skips a bit. Then I get super panicked, my heart is beating like crazy and I have pain in the middle of my chest. As soon as I sit down, take some deep breaths and calm down, the pain goes away and the heat beats slow down. Isn this ectopic heartbeat
    Have you seen a doctor about that? It could just be a weird ectopic. It's usually a good idea to follow up with a doctor if you're blacking out at all. Syncope can be brought on by anxiety, but you'll want to have other causes ruled out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information