Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are these really ectopic beats?

Re: Are these really ectopic beats?

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    Just as I thought I was fine, my Apple Watch ECG (Doctor advised me to use it to try catch things if I felt them as we never caught anything on my holter monitor), decided to give me a scary reading. Somebody I know who is an ECG tech looked at it and said it looked like a classic SA block. They also said the watch was highly unlikely to take a false reading and give such a precise arrhythmia. SA block is a long pause in the heart due to an electrical signal getting blocked, making the heart pause. Not a blockage like an artery blockage, but broken signals I guess? It tends to be progressive and cause more lost signals down the line. I really hope this isn't the case.

So now I'm anxiously awaiting an appointment. This is exhausting.
    Did you manage to see anyone about your reading? Currently waiting for results on my holter monitor and have very similar issues as you.

Re: Are these really ectopic beats?

Quote Originally Posted by Evizza View Post
    Did you manage to see anyone about your reading? Currently waiting for results on my holter monitor and have very similar issues as you.
    Hi Evizza. Had a chat with a GP and she said since my previous holter had been ok apart from a few ectopics and what seems to be postural tachycardia, I likely have pronounced sinus arrhythmia which is a natural variation from breathing. Mine is just sometimes extra long. I do have an irregular heartbeat anyway, but they didn't seem concerned about the long pause. She didn't want to look at the watch ECG as she said they're not reliable enough and she would rather go by my previous tests. I asked about the long sinus pause and she said if I start feeling bad symptoms with the pause, to see her, but otherwise just get on with life.

I also was able to sort of replicate the pause when I really tensed my stomach and breathed out heavy after a workout, got a super long pause, so it could be the vagus nerve (which can send signals to the heart and it runs from your head to stomach) acting up and causing the pause. It apparently happens often with athletes. I'm unfit though, but working on it. I really have no definitive answer, but my GP wasn't too concerned about it and I'm just working on being healthy. She didn't say it wasn't an SA block, but she didn't think it needed looking into either.

If it is an SA block, for the most part they are benign, though they can progress in older age as the nerves wear down and require a pacemaker as the pauses get longer and slow the heartrate more and more. Your holter will probably tell you a lot and rule that out because it tends to show up in a recognizable pattern. Most abnormal rhythms are easy to spot on a holter as it gives way more detailed readings than a little watch ecg, so you should have answers very soon
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 22-02-21 at 09:41.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information