Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Botulism from incorrectly kept cheese?

Re: Botulism from incorrectly kept cheese?

Hi , I don’t want to make light of your situation because I know what it’s like once the worry seed starts to grow , but if your house is a bit of a mess and it’s how you live you’ve probably built up a good immunity to most bugs that would kill your average clean freak , I’m terrible for eating out of date food or food that’s not cooked properly partly down to my failing eyesight and no sense or smell or taste , I basically have no idea what I’m eating yet my partner who sticks to all the rules with food hygiene recently got food poisoning from the same food I’d eaten, I’m sure you’ll be ok but if you feel ill ring 111 for advice , I would get a fridge though , you’re not alone in how you live I know several people who are hoarders and one his cooker broke over ten years ago and it’s still stood there with a chip pan and kettle gathering dust , it’s hard to make change but maybe this is a shove to do something and have one less worry .

I basically have no idea what I’m eating yet my partner who sticks to all the rules with food hygiene recently got food poisoning from the same food I’d eaten
    Wow, Buster. You have a stomach of steel!

PM - from what I'm reading the botulism bacteria is extremely rare in cheese. Much more likely to be found in meat or fish products.

Also here - Clostridium botulinum is ubiquitous in soil and marine sediments.

OK I'm a keen gardener. In the growing season I'm always getting my hands dirty through garden soil plus my homemade compost. And I will confess I've had the odd sandwich sitting in the greenhouse without washing my hands. So I'm probably at way more risk of ingesting the relevant bacteria than you are, yet I'm still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster70 View Post
    Hi , I don’t want to make light of your situation because I know what it’s like once the worry seed starts to grow , but if your house is a bit of a mess and it’s how you live you’ve probably built up a good immunity to most bugs that would kill your average clean freak , I’m terrible for eating out of date food or food that’s not cooked properly partly down to my failing eyesight and no sense or smell or taste , I basically have no idea what I’m eating yet my partner who sticks to all the rules with food hygiene recently got food poisoning from the same food I’d eaten, I’m sure you’ll be ok but if you feel ill ring 111 for advice , I would get a fridge though , you’re not alone in how you live I know several people who are hoarders and one his cooker broke over ten years ago and it’s still stood there with a chip pan and kettle gathering dust , it’s hard to make change but maybe this is a shove to do something and have one less worry .
    You're full of good advice lately Buster!! Very true about the immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster70 View Post
    Did anyone here ever watch How Clean Is Your House ? It's rather like that here.

The biggest barrier to me doing anything is, as ever, my depression. Which is beginning to sound more and more like an excuse than a reason, I know.

It's 24 hours now; can't tell if my eyesight is blurred (it's pretty crap anyway) but my eyelids are still open and I can still speak clearly so that's probably a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    You're full of good advice lately Buster!!
    Isn't it a joy to see someone giving as well as receiving on this forum - unlike one or two I could mention...

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Did anyone here ever watch How Clean Is Your House ? It's rather like that here.
    That's like the Hoarders series here in the States. Dude... I'm so sorry to hear this. I left my ex due to her depression and hoarding. I have photos I took in case she resisted the divorce and custody demands. It was awful! I went and basically got rid of everything over a period of several months after I left. I had to do it when she wasn't home as to not have her melt down. It's been 20 years and while she still has those tendencies, she sought help and does much better. For your own safety and health, look into professional help in getting things cleaned up.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's like the Hoarders series here in the States. Dude... I'm so sorry to hear this. I left my ex due to her depression and hoarding. I have photos I took in case she resisted the divorce and custody demands. It was awful! I went and basically got rid of everything over a period of several months after I left. I had to do it when she wasn't home as to not have her melt down. It's been 20 years and while she still has those tendencies, she sought help and does much better. For your own safety and health, look into professional help in getting things cleaned up.

Positive thoughts
    It's not just hoarding, FMP - but a genuine "don't care" attitude. The kitchen floor and counters are deep with rubbish and recycling I simply cannot be bothered to deal with. I wade through it. Hell, I've not even had a wash since Christmas Day. On a lesser note, I've not washed the car since 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    It's not just hoarding, FMP - but a genuine "don't care" attitude. The kitchen floor and counters are deep with rubbish and recycling I simply cannot be bothered to deal with. I wade through it. Hell, I've not even had a wash since Christmas Day. On a lesser note, I've not washed the car since 2019.
    My ex suffered from severe depression that led to the hoarding. I did all the cooking and cleaning but things got out of hand which led to me leaving and the divorce. Once I got rid of the clutter, I did the deep cleaning and organizing etc. part of the divorce agreement was it had to remain clean and organized and I was allowed to go in, help and make sure things were Ok for the kids. There is help out there. You just need to reach out.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There is lots of help put there. Lots of good people who would be happy to help, and no shame attached to any of it.

And talking about it is a good way to start finding your way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information