Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Botulism from incorrectly kept cheese?

Re: Botulism from incorrectly kept cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It sounds as though things have got beyond the point where you can manage yourself, though. Could you get some cleaners in and bugger off to a hotel for a couple of days while they sort it out?
    The last time that happened I lost some very rare documents which had got in amongst the mess. I'm keen to not repeat that, obviously but right now - as an example - two things are occupying my mind:

1. Where have the brass wire brushes for my Dremel gone?
    2. What have I done with the amber light bulbs I bought for the electric fire that keeps me warm?

It's not unknown for me to lose something, get frustrated at my inability to find it and just purchase a new one. I did that last week with my cordless mouse and literally, ten minutes after I ordered the new mouse I found the original one. I really should send that back, except the PO has closed.

I should add there's no heating/hot water here either; the system sprang a leak and after being told I'd have to wait weeks for a plumber, I decided I'd fix it myself and do a modification whilst I'm at it.

That'll be three years ago next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I really don't feel I deserve the kind things people are saying here.
    Yes you do.

I've always been an untidy sod, right back to my childhood but it got so much worse about six years ago.
    I fully expect my husband to go back to his old ways should anything happen to me. I fully intend to haunt him back into action, but have left the number of a cleaning lady in the letter rack - just in case.

Originally it was just hiding the empty spaces where Mrs. PM was, but now it has truly become overwhelming, hence my taking the easy option of not dealing with it.
    It doesn't take long for housework to become overwhelming. This is a conversation I keep having with my autistic son. I tell him, 'Do a little bit every day, and it won't overwhelm you'. The biggest problem for you at the moment is getting your house in a more habitable condition without it causing you too much distress because any change, even a positive one, can be hard to deal with. I'm autistic, I should know!

The big problem is that I don't cope well with people around me and especially when it's in my own house.
    So, having a cleaner come in would be an issue for you?

How about if they came in while you are work? That way, you wouldn't have to interact with them and your house would be clean.

Nora's right, and I say this as a huge slob who avoids cleaning like the plague. Things have gone too far, and you need to remedy them even if it takes you outside your comfort zone.

Are you happy to live like this though? Would the prospect of any change be just too much to bear? Obviously covid complicates things hugely but do you really want people messing around in your house and "taking over" when you have tried to manage on your own and have your own system?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Are you happy to live like this though? Would the prospect of any change be just too much to bear? Obviously covid complicates things hugely but do you really want people messing around in your house and "taking over" when you have tried to manage on your own and have your own system?
    That is a question that, right now, I can't answer...

You don't have to answer it now, PM. I appreciate that you are a proud and independent man and rightly so. It's very hard to let others interfere in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    The last time that happened I lost some very rare documents which had got in amongst the mess. I'm keen to not repeat that, obviously but right now - as an example - two things are occupying my mind:

1. Where have the brass wire brushes for my Dremel gone?
    2. What have I done with the amber light bulbs I bought for the electric fire that keeps me warm?

It's not unknown for me to lose something, get frustrated at my inability to find it and just purchase a new one. I did that last week with my cordless mouse and literally, ten minutes after I ordered the new mouse I found the original one. I really should send that back, except the PO has closed.

I should add there's no heating/hot water here either; the system sprang a leak and after being told I'd have to wait weeks for a plumber, I decided I'd fix it myself and do a modification whilst I'm at it.

That'll be three years ago next month.
    PM - I see a lot of myself in you. And very often I think 'there but for the grace of G-d' (Vee got me onto the spelling), go I'. We're a similar age but the main difference is I still have my wife. And that's where my heart goes out to you, because I could easily be in your shoes.

Depression and anxiety chip away at motivation as we all know, so I can appreciate just how easily it would be to find myself in your situation. Tidying and housework require a future mindset that we shy away from when we are down and apprehensive, we just want to hide and forget about the world. But the ladies here are quite right and I won't attempt to try and improve on what they've already said, because I wouldn't be able to. Hang in there buddy, you're a top-notch bloke and deserving of some attention.

I can relate to your situation, PM. I struggled with depression off and on over the last 10 years, more on than off. I also own a fixer upper house, which is a bad combination with depression! Add in being a bit sentimental about stuff, and I had way, way too much stuff, most of it extremely dusty. Plus with the fixer-upper house, I have no working stove and hot water only when the water heater feels like it, which it usually doesn't. After a while the environment drags you down, and takes your self-esteem along.

It's been hard for me to dig out of the hole I got myself into, because it's so embarrassing to let people into the house to help. It's taken me a lot of donating and recycling to get things to the point where the place is somewhat livable, and there's still more to do. Ironically, dirt gives me huge anxiety which makes me not want to clean (yes, I know that makes no sense). But what I found helped was to take one small area - I seriously started with one corner just big enough to hold my guitar - and completely decluttered it and cleaned it. Then I kept expanding that little bit of clean space, bit by bit, until it was my entire bedroom. I've finally gotten to the point where I can let people in to work on the house, although I still have to make excuses for the boxes in the living room and dining room. Hey, it's a remodel, so stuff is boxed up, right?

I hope I'm not coming off as a know-it-all here (because I am one in real life), I just want to say that you're not alone and it can be done.

I remain touched by the kindness of people on here

Sadly, today I had to resort to 111; I had a nasty attack of vertigo as I was turning over in bed. Although not listed on the NHS site, according to the WHO it can be an early symptom. That, along with my arms feeling a bit weak and crappy for a while yesterday and I went into a tailspin. Thanks, Dr. Google!

The lady I spoke to was really, really lovely: basically from her questions the botulism fear didn't enter in to it - and if you have it, you know you've got it, it would seem. We even managed to have a bit of a laugh and a giggle as well. I think she was thinking more along the lines of a stroke but I know from FAST that it isn't, but the neck and slight pain behind my ear are now saying "cervical vertigo" - which I know I have.

Well reasoned, PM. Glad you could have a bit of a laugh with the 111 lady. Probably did you the world of good?!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information