Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help, Venaflaxine or Seroxat??

Re: Please Help, Venaflaxine or Seroxat??

Hello,

Yes Joan, it is Very hard to think of coping without medication. Sometimes we feel so ill every day that we do feel we need medication and I can understand that because I've been there myself.

I tried them all including venlafaxine and seroxat. Seroxat was Terrible! I felt More ill on it. I also got addicted to diazepam and my panic attacks were worse On them. It took me 6 months to get off them. In those days I wanted something to stop how I was feeling so I followed the doctors advice. Only now do I appreciate why I felt so ill and why the doctor felt he had no option but to give me medications.

Joan, you have the insight to see what's caused your problems and you're tackling them in the right way. Sometimes we feel taking a medication in the short term can help us get through bad periods but sufferers shouldn't be misled into thinking they're a cure. They're anti-Depressants. As the name says, they counteract Depression by lifting our mood.

When we learn the causes to our anxiety And either ease our pressures causing it or when we feel strong enough confront it, then medication should no longer be needed. I just feel that long term they cause more problems than they solve because they're not tackling the underlying cause but I agree that sometimes they can be a support in really bad times.

Therapy is most effective and the effects long term but it needs a good therapist working with a sufferer who feels strong and determined enough to confront their issues. Medication can help a sufferer short term to gain that strength needed.

I take Seroxat and it has been a wonderful drug for me and I am not worried about coming off it and if I have to take it for the rest of my life then so be it as it keeps me well. I saw the documentary and I thought it was a lot of scaremongering and these people what commited suicide could have done so whether or no they were taking it. I can only speak from my own experience but it has been a marvelous drug for me.

i am sorry if i upset anyone with my reply but i was just giving my opinion from my own experience and i suppose everyone will react differently .

Thank you for your replies.

I have tried for almost 12 years without medications and had a terrible time, I lost my job and had to drop out of college.

During University I had a brilliant CBT Clinical Psychologist but I still have OCD and anxiety which is again threating my job. The Escitalopram did help to take the edge of the severe tension. Have tried Diazapam, Propranolol, Amityptipine (cant spell), everything natural, CBT (twice) Anxiety management classes. Everything.

Medication feels like the last hope really. I dont want to lose my job again

I have taken Seroxat for 8 years and it worked brilliantly, 4 months ago it stopped working for me though, unsure why? Im seeing my psychiatrist on friday to probably start with drawing from a very high doseage of seroxat 40mg and then trying something else. I know it is free speech for all on here but sometimes people have to remember that seroxat has worked for thousends of people and scaring people especially those who are about to with draw from it can be very unhelpful! From what ive read Seroxat has no worse withdrawal symtoms than any other SRRI it has just had the press jump on the band wagon about it. Sorry if i have caused offense to anyone writing this, but just reading certain peoples horror stories has already made my anxiety worse. I know its important to ask people their opinions and experiences but sometimes i think things can be written so a more balanced view can come across. C x

...baby steps everyday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information