Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Very Concerned About My Wife

Re: Very Concerned About My Wife

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I hear you but there's no scientific evidence taking an OTC fever remedy will delay recovery.

Positive thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth...
    err.... fingertips lol.

Ankietyjoe where did that little nugget come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    The outcome from the largest study to date on this suggests it makes no difference:
    Two Doctors have told me in the past, specifically the last time I had a really bad chest infection. A Doctor in the hospital (I had to visit twice) suggested I lay off the paracetamol and let the fever run it's course. I had been experiencing sporadic fever for three weeks up to this point, I stopped taking the paracetamol and it was gone within 48 hours. Could be complete coincidence of course.

John Campbell mentioned it in one of his videos this week.

Stands to reason really. Fever is designed to make the body an inhospitable place, if you negate the fever, it becomes less inhospitable.

One study doesn't prove or disprove anything, and of course y'all can disagree with what I say until the cows come home, I still stand by it.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! My wife is feeling much better and hasn't had a fever since Monday. Still some mild stomach cramping and no appetite that comes and goes but overall seems much better.

Of course, minutes after I write that she calls me at work to tell me here fever and stomach cramps have returned.... What gives? Ughhhh

Quote Originally Posted by boostedcoop View Post
    Of course, minutes after I write that she calls me at work to tell me here fever and stomach cramps have returned.... What gives? Ughhhh
    Maybe re-read some of the previous comments.

I still stand by it.
    I've heard this too, and been told it. Obviously dangerously high fevers are a different matter, but from what I have read it is a very contentious issue and medics are divided on their opinion of treating a fever or not. Article here -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4703655/

Of course, minutes after I write that she calls me at work to tell me here fever and stomach cramps have returned....
    Has she just had cramps/pain and fever alone, or in addition bad bowel movements/the runs ? Just trying to work out if she has shown symptoms of a stomach bug really.

Hi,

I completely understand your anxiety, I would feel the same way as you do if it was my partner. However, try to focus on the fact that is honestly probably just a virus like the doc said.

Most viruses don't last long but some do. I had a bad case of tonsillitis a few years ago that left me in bed for nearly two weeks and unable to eat solids. I lost 10 pounds as a result. It happens.

For the meantime, try and make your wife as comfortable as possible. Watch movies together, rest, read books. This might ease your anxiety too. Just think of it as riding it out and passing the time.

Sorry to hear about your mum. My HA was triggered by my grandmother's death from breast cancer when she was 68. I get how it can make you feel.

RE - Reducing fevers.

Yes, I have been told this by various doctors too. I was told that fever is the body's way to help fight an infection and so, by supressing the fever you're stopping the body's natural mechanim to fight the infection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information