Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newer question on cannabis and anxiety

Newer question on cannabis and anxiety

Hi All,

This is a sort of "repeated post" so please excuse. I will not make a habit of it. My other reply was to an old thread and I thought maybe it would not get seen. If I am wrong in doing this please let me know. I do not want to offend.

Anyway........ I haven't smoked any pot for a number of years now but have been considering giving it a try instead of the Xanax XR that I am taking. I hate this stuff. It works OK, but the addiction and withdrawl syndrome are hell.

Anyway, I have read and would ask members what their opinion is about the relationship between the strain of marijuana used and it's effect on anxiety. I understand if one is very selective in the strain, it can help mitigate panic and anxiety.

For example, it is reported tht an an indica dominant strain can do wonders for anxiety, but a sativa dominant strain will "send you over the edge" as far as panic is concerned.

Of course the only way to really control the strain used is to grow your own which can be very risky in itself and cause paranoia depending on your country of residence.

TIA for your valued inputs and comments.

dane

Re: Newer question on cannabis and anxiety

In my experience Dope = Panic
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

The people I know who have tried it have gone on to develop manic depression or paranoia but when they stopped taking it, after a period of treatment they returned to normal but I have no actual evidence to prove there is such a link.

My advice would be STEER CLEAR!!!!
    EVERYONE i know whos done it/has smoked it has developed mental illnesses. Its not worth it, please believe me.

Stacey =]

There is no conclusive evidence that cannabis causes any lasting damage to mental or physical health. Long-term cannabis smoking has been linked with cancers, but the link is disputed.
    There is a lot of scare mongering around cannabis, that said WHILE you are using it can make you anxious, panicky and paranoid (particularly if you're very stoned). I’d steer clear. I used to smoke it, I haven’t done for 2 years now and looking back I was definitely suffering paranoia while I was smoking it, quite severe paranoia too all things considered.

Thanks to all for your inputs. However my basic question hasn't been addressed. That is: Is or can the anxiety be strain dependent? I have heard that strongly indica strains help and strongly sativa strains hinder.

when I was young a used, we had mainly indica strains and it helped relieve anxiety.

Thanks Again

Hello

I'm afraid I have no idea about the strains and their effects on anxiety. Like the others said, I'd steer well clear. I wouldn't touch it.

Everyone I know who's used a lot of weed has ended up with Anxiety problems. I'm not saying there's a proven link, it's just my own experience. I am certain that these people have tried different strains. One friend of mine can't even be in the same room as someone smoking it now because it sends her into panic.

I suppose it's possible that it might work at bit like Benzo's and make you feel calmer for a very short period, but ultimately it's probably a dangerous game - in my opinion.

Also, I hate to be a creep - but I'm not sure how the admins will feel about asking for advice on this, since it's still illegal in the UK. Some people might not feel comfortable posting about it either, for the same reason

xxx
    Last edited by Dying_Swan; 14-03-14 at 20:15.

Ok here's the honest truth about my experience.

I used to smoke a quarter a day by myself!!

I stopped when I became pregnant.

I just never started up again for a long time cuz I had kids and frankly it's expensive and ditchweed is nasty so I just didn't do it!!

Then when I started having anxiety issues someone suggested I try it!!

I went to a friends house and smoked 2 bowls.
    Ended up at home - horribly paranoid - extremely hungery - and tired!!

The way I figure it I can be paranoid hungery and tired on my own without spending the money so I won't do it again!!!

OK I'll withdraw the question dying_swan. I simply had seen other threads on the same topic and was merely asking for clarification. there are other legitimate medicinal uses well documented with sound data. Look at your own GW Pharmaceuticals in the UK.

Seems a fair question to me, but if you want answers I'd take it over to a cannabis forum.

Over here, we generally have a choice of slate, squidgy black, pollen or extremely potent skunk, non of which I take the time to put under a microscope before rolling up a blunt, and neither do I assume that Dodgy Dave the dealer could clarify the strain. In fact there's probably more deisel in it than there is psychoactive ingredients.

Personally I wouldn't recommend any drugs for the relief of anxiety, and certainly not cannabis.

I've heard heroin works a treat though...
    \'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.\'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information