Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shakey Hands anyone

Re: Shakey Hands anyone

I get shaky hands a lot with anxiety. I usually try to move my hands around so people won't see them shaking. Then it usually passes.

It's comforting to know that so many other people suffer from shaking hands.With me it's a problem in a crowded room and when I'm preparing/food and drink for people other than members of the immediate family.I know it is a case of mind over matter and i get the better of it more often than not. However the anticipation is always there. why the fear does only sometimes become a reality I do not know. Currently I'm trying to get into a "so what" mindset so I won't worry about what is so unimportant and who notices or cares anyway?

My hands shake as I first wake up. They shake on and off during the daytime. It's more noticeable when out and about amongst people. Although I have put it down to the meds I am on.

Ok Thanks

I went out after not much problem going out with my friends and having a pint but this time when I got in the pub it was very busy and we were with a group. We ordered a drink at the bar and I felt very very self consious, I decided that I felt too anxious to take a drink of my beer as I wanted to relax after a hard day Iand I did not relish the idea of a group of mates asking me what was wrong so I proceeded to say I did not feel so good and wasn't going to drink my beer. I know if I had got some isolation I would have started drinking it without people there and without a shake but that was not meant to be. I said " lets go outside" I took my beer a bit shakely and started to go outside but people wanted to keep close and talk to me so no luck their. I decided it was too busy to get "me time" and gave it up as a bad job. Anyhow a friend got me a glass of orange instead, no luck there either. The bar staff had filled it to the brim. I ended up hiding it so I looked like I had drunk it. I felt completley self consious and dizzy now. All I wanted to do was get out of there.

Strange how one trigger " a busy pub thought" caused me to have such a anxious and C**p night. Problem is it tends to compound itself and I am know consious of the next pub visit. Just when I thought I nearly had this one in the bag.

I know what will happen now as i have done it before. I will have a drink before going out to ease the nerves then hopefully the inhibititions are less.

Take care all

Mee

If its any consolation I've never beaten the same problem that you describe in twenty five years. I manage it by a pre social gathering drink. If this is not practical I do suffer the pain but I would rather experience the comfort of the pre social gathering drink.My attitude is this is the way it is so it doesn't get me down. If the worse happens I suffer the shakes which disappear after a couple of swigs of the drink anyway.this problem has not prevented me from pursuing a career ,bringing up children etc.To me it.s never been different from so many other crosses thatpeople bear in life eg all the physical disabilities.
    Best of luck

i got a shakey and sweaty hands too...

Not so much sweaty unless really anxious.

I was at the bar recently and I began thinking about the situation and the people around the bar and I ordered 3 Pints and I had to carry each one with both hands to my friends. I felt like an idiot!! It makes me not want to show my face again in embarassment.

Mee

Hi there Meewah
    y'know thats the worse thing you can do, i mean not go back and show your face again. Cause as you know it will be avoiding one thing and then another and before you know where you are, there u are sitting in one room with the curtains closed going slowly mad and only the computer to communicate with!!!
    So get back there where you belong, with your friends, have a pint and you will soon forget what all the fuss was about bet your friends didn't notice x x x x x
    All the best Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Richie's sentiments but I do have your problem so I know how hard it is.I think the key is you thought about the situation-and thereby willed it to happen. I bet it doesn't always happen, only when you think about it and anticipate it. If I don't think my hands will shake they don't shake.When you're getting the drinks try to take in the sights and sounds around you and not concentrate on you.If your hands did shake did anyone notice?On occasions in the past my hands have shaken when I've been preparing and serving drinks with my wife present and when Ichecked with her afterwards she hadn't noticed. If anyone did notice so what!!!
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBliss View Post
    I think the key is you thought about the situation-and thereby willed it to happen. I bet it doesn't always happen, only when you think about it and anticipate it. If I don't think my hands will shake they don't shake.When you're getting the drinks try to take in the sights and sounds around you and not concentrate on you.
    John
    Thanks for the support.

Thats exactly how it happens. It seems to been linked to self concious feelings. Even though I avoid eye contact with anyone at the bar except the staff, it feels as if the whole pub is watching me carry each drink I also find I tune out of the noise in the pub and holding on to the drink which makes it seem as if the whole pub has gone quiet while I am carrying the drink. I am also consious if anyone laughs as I feel they are laughing at me which makes me feel even smaller. John, you are right, all this is in my mind I am not sure that this is what is happening it just what my mind acts out. I tried making eye contact in the past and it only made people look and make me even more self concious. You are right though it does not happen every time, it depends how self consious or confident I feel at that time. I will go back as it is my favorite pub, I wont let it rule my life, it is all anticipatory anxiety that starts the thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mee

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information