Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anxiety bad for the heart?

Is anxiety bad for the heart?

Hi everyone,
    I've recently developed an anxiety obsession about high blood pressure and heart problems caused by anxiety. I keep hearing different accounts. Some studies say that anxiety can cause heart problems and lead to high bp and others say the connection is more complex and indirect than that. I'm caught up in this awful and vicious cycle right now where I am feeling extremely anxious with a lot of chest pain and then I remember that all the anxiety is raising my blood pressure and I get more anxious. And I just can't make it stop. I am a generally healthy 21 year old who goes to my yearly checkups and often leaves with a clean chit. But I am getting worried about my anxiety raising my blood pressure all the time. And this worry is no doubt raising my blood pressure. I don't know how to get out of this awful cycle!
    Anyone had this one before?

Re: Is anxiety bad for the heart?

Worrying about whether it's bad for the heart will be doing more 'damage' than anxiety itself.

Any stress is bad for you period, not directly to the heart.

Focus on recovery, not imaginary scenarios decades into your future.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Worrying about whether it's bad for the heart will be doing more 'damage' than anxiety itself.

Any stress is bad for you period, not directly to the heart.
    Stress is necessary for survival - without stress we would be extinct. It's just that 'stress' has changed from knowing not to go anywhere near that farkin' big bear (caveman days) to constant major stress with work, relationships, debt, pandemics - the list is MASSIVE.

To say that any stress is bad - is wrong. Stress, both good and bad. It can also be down to perception. One person's stress is another person's joy.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Stress is necessary for survival - without stress we would be extinct. It's just that 'stress' has changed from knowing not to go anywhere near that farkin' big bear (caveman days) to constant major stress with work, relationships, debt, pandemics - the list is MASSIVE.

To say that any stress is bad - is wrong. Stress, both good and bad. It can also be down to perception. One person's stress is another person's joy.
    You have taken my (obvious) point and tried to turn it into a pissing match.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You have taken my (obvious) point and tried to turn it into a pissing match.
    Here he comes - Mr Grumpy

Any stress is bad for you period
    Have I missed something here?

Have I misinterpreted the sentence?

Your sentence clearly says that ANY stress is bad, and that's inaccurate.
    Last edited by NoraB; 19-01-21 at 14:27.

Acute stress is meant to be good for you, chronic stress bad, so say the "experts" but I agree about the perception of stress, Nora.

I've lived with chronic stress for 35+ years and my BP is perfect. I have no inflammatory markers and my immune system is pretty robust. My heart functions normally too.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've lived with chronic stress for 35+ years and my BP is perfect. I have no inflammatory markers and my immune system is pretty robust. My heart functions normally too.
    Me too. I've had severe anxiety since I was old enough to remember (plus a mental breakdown) and that's been me for all of my life. Heart is still fine - just races a bit now and then. BP flies up when I clock a white coat or the BP monitor in the surgery now, but it's fine when I'm at home - so WCS methinks. Other than that, my heart is sound.

But fair's fair - other people are not so fortunate, and they do have actual problems with their hearts, and in those situations stress (generally) should be avoided, but that's basically impossible in this day and age..

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Acute stress is meant to be good for you
    It's also normal or we wouldn't need the fight or flight response and those stress hormones.

When you (anybody) answers a thread, there is context. It's clearly obvious what the OP's context is here.

Being pedantic because I disagreed with you once or twice (in your 1800+ posts) is pedantry to the point of thread derailment.

On top of that, passive aggressively calling ME grumpy because I call you on it.

Just because you read information and store it in your head, doesn't mean you have to apply it to ANY thread that allows you to deliver that information. Try and be a bit more selective about where you try and express knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information