Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anxiety bad for the heart?

Re: Is anxiety bad for the heart?

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Being pedantic because I disagreed with you once or twice
    You said -"ANY STRESS IS BAD FOR YOU PERIOD".

That's what I am reading. Is there any other way to read this?

IT'S NOT TRUE.

I'm autistic. I asked you, quite civilly, if I had misinterpreted the sentence and this is what you came back with?

On top of that, passive aggressively calling ME grumpy because I call you on it.
    I called you grumpy because that's how you come across to to me personally, and generally. I had Mr Grumpy (Mr Men) in mind when I wrote it.

Go back and read my initial response - which was to politely disagree with you and why. Then read your inflammatory response. Even so, I was still in a good mood - hence Mr Grumpy!

You've turned this into something unpleasant Joe, as per, and it's because I picked you up on something and that's the bottom line here.

Just because you read information and store it in your head, doesn't mean you have to apply it to ANY thread that allows you to deliver that information. Try and be a bit more selective about where you try and express knowledge.
    Who are you to tell me what to say?

This one of yours?

I tell you what. You tell me who's forcing you to look at social media and I'll come over and smash their head in.

Lovely.

Why do you continue to do this, Joe? You don't intimidate me in the slightest so stop it you daft bugger. I reckon we could have a laugh on here if you were to remove whatever it is that's rammed up your backside!

You can call me Mrs Incredibly Annoying if you want? It's nothing I haven't called myself on here!

Lighten up babeh!

I'm not trying to intimidate you.

Again, implying a behaviour in me that doesn't exist.

As I said, try and be a bit more selective about how and where you express the vast amounts of information that you have acquired. There is a time and place to express ALL aspects of the fact. The context here is that the OP is concerned about a stress causing heart issues. It's blindingly obvious what my point was, and that was to remove the DIRECT cause/effect that she is worried about.

But, you are 100% correct about some stress being a good thing. It's just not relevant here and is only there to 'correct' my point. It adds nothing to the OP's question.

And again, your belief that I'm trying to intimidate you is ridiculous. Completely, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon123 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've recently developed an anxiety obsession about high blood pressure and heart problems caused by anxiety. I keep hearing different accounts. Some studies say that anxiety can cause heart problems and lead to high bp and others say the connection is more complex and indirect than that. I'm caught up in this awful and vicious cycle right now where I am feeling extremely anxious with a lot of chest pain and then I remember that all the anxiety is raising my blood pressure and I get more anxious. And I just can't make it stop. I am a generally healthy 21 year old who goes to my yearly checkups and often leaves with a clean chit. But I am getting worried about my anxiety raising my blood pressure all the time. And this worry is no doubt raising my blood pressure. I don't know how to get out of this awful cycle!
    Anyone had this one before?

I'm just giving Sharon my own personal experience and I'm fortunate to have a healthy heart and very good BP after many decades of chronic stress and anxiety. I'm 62.

I think it's very reassuring that you are young and healthy with normal bloods and BP, Sharon. I'd accept that fact and stop yourself from "hearing different accounts". Your account is that you are healthy. Chest pain is very common with anxiety, that much is very well known. Eat well and look after your health in general and that includes your mental health. Don't get trapped in the HA vicious cycle-you have a choice to say no to "researching" stories which make you spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon123 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've recently developed an anxiety obsession about high blood pressure and heart problems caused by anxiety. I keep hearing different accounts. Some studies say that anxiety can cause heart problems and lead to high bp and others say the connection is more complex and indirect than that. I'm caught up in this awful and vicious cycle right now where I am feeling extremely anxious with a lot of chest pain and then I remember that all the anxiety is raising my blood pressure and I get more anxious. And I just can't make it stop. I am a generally healthy 21 year old who goes to my yearly checkups and often leaves with a clean chit. But I am getting worried about my anxiety raising my blood pressure all the time. And this worry is no doubt raising my blood pressure. I don't know how to get out of this awful cycle!
    Anyone had this one before?

Ah yes getting stressed over the affect stress might have has to be one of my most ironic fears. I doubt we are alone. I imagine most of us have wondered at some point.

I get round it by laughing at the irony. I have a strange sense of humour.

At 21 I doubt you have caused any lasting damage. Just learn some distraction techniques.

Some people find cbt helps some dont. I personally have had success with cbt but it isnt for everyone.

There are some cbt links in the stickies I think. They are free and you can see if they help.

As I said, try and be a bit more selective about how and where you express the vast amounts of information that you have acquired. There is a time and place to express ALL aspects of the fact. The context here is that the OP is concerned about a stress causing heart issues. It's blindingly obvious what my point was, and that was to remove the DIRECT cause/effect that she is worried about.
    Who the hell are you to be telling people how, and when, to express themselves on here?

I am well aware that the OP is concerned about stress issues - which is also why I wanted to correct what you said that ALL STRESS IS BAD.

No, it's not 'blindingly obvious' what your 'point' was or I wouldn't have had to ask you if I was misinterpreting what you said! You seem to know enough about what I post, so you'll know full well that I'm autistic and that means I can take things very literally!

But, you are 100% correct about some stress being a good thing. It's just not relevant here and is only there to 'correct' my point. It adds nothing to the OP's question.
    It is ABSOLUTELY relevant here given that most people on here don't understand anxiety and stress. I don't want folk thinking that all stress is bad for them on the back of your misguided comment!

And again, your belief that I'm trying to intimidate you is ridiculous. Completely, ridiculous.
    You responded to my civil comment by reducing it to a 'pissing match'. Then you start saying that I only said it because you've disagreed with me twice before? Then you start dictating how, and when' I should be commenting? Then you got a mardy on because I called you 'grumpy'? This, from a bloke who on a previous thread was talking about 'smashing heads' in - hypothetically of course.

To intimidate is to make people lose confidence. Have you any idea the effect your comment about the way I post has had on me? I put so much time and effort into my posts to help people, to make use of all this information in my brain and to make my mental breakdown due to health anxiety count for something. I have only ever had good feedback from people on here, both on the forum and privately, but it's always the knocks which the mind holds onto with anxious people. This is my only post today because my confidence has been knocked - by you.

So, does the term 'intimidation' seem so 'completely ridiculous' now?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    so you'll know full well that I'm autistic and that means I can take things very literally!

No I had no idea. Perhaps you have assumed I inspect everything you write, but I probably 'see' about 5% of your posts. We have disagreed on about 2-3% of your posts?

I'm not out to get you, and not trying (and trying is the important word here) to intimidate anybody. If you feel that's what I have been trying to do, I apologise.

No I had no idea. Perhaps you have assumed I inspect everything you write, but I probably 'see' about 5% of your posts.
    No, I don't presume that you 'inspect everything I write' Joe, but I am intrigued as to why you think that the small percentage of my posts that you do 'see' gives you the right to tell me how and when to express myself on here?

I don't like your posting style either. Your posts are short, brusque and lacking in compassion. However, I understand that your direct approach is appreciated by people on here and that 'tough love' is just what some people need.

In the same way, the amount of positive feedback I've had from people on the forum (and privately) means that I must be doing something right, so, if you don't mind, I will carry on being me.

We both bring something different to the forum and we're both helping people - isn't that what matters?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post

I don't like your posting style either. Your posts are short, brusque and lacking in compassion. However, I understand that your direct approach is appreciated by people on here and that 'tough love' is just what some people need.
    I have hundreds (thousands?) of posts on here that aren't short, brusque, lacking in compassion or tough love. I answer that way sometimes because I think sometimes people just need their concerns dismissed in the form of a reality check. It's not my default way of being.

Perhaps you're just seeing what you choose to see?

And again, I disagreed/pulled up literally a couple of your posts out of the multiple thousands of posts you have made. You're implying that I'm targeting you for your posting style. Again, I'm not. Just, a couple, of posts. And the 'right' I have to have an opinion on what other people write is the same as yours. We CAN disagree, I CAN suggest you do or don't something and you CAN tell me to F off and mind my own business. It's all good.

And again, I apologise for making you feel bad, that's not my intent and never is here. I did NOT know you had autism and would probably have worded things differently if I did know.

Sharon, note the word can, can means it could happen, not that it does...it's possible, but you have to remember other factors have to play into it, if you already have heart issues then stress can exacerbate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information