Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the Modern World Makes Us Mentally Ill

How the Modern World Makes Us Mentally Ill

I found this video super interesting. Maybe you will too.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: How the Modern World Makes Us Mentally Ill

Thank you for sharing it.. I'm watching it now

I haven't watched the video, but I've been saying this here for years.

The way we live and the way we're taught to think is not natural. It's not how we're designed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    I haven't watched the video, but I've been saying this here for years.

The way we live and the way we're taught to think is not natural. It's not how we're designed to work.
    I feel the same way Joe.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

People have argued with me before here that my viewpoint is nonsense and that the modern way of living is 'normal'.

It just isn't. This modern way of living is new, it hasn't been here long. It started in the industrial revolution and in terms of human history and evolution, it is brand, spanking new.

In the last 50 years the combination of normalised borrowing, a massive drop in the standard of food and the additional normalisation of being sedentary has fvcked our physical and mental health.

But no, spending 75% of your life in debt whilst smothering the fact in beer, pie and Coronation Street is 'normal'.

People have argued with me before here that my viewpoint is nonsense and that the modern way of living is 'normal'.

It just isn't. This modern way of living is new, it hasn't been here long. It started in the industrial revolution and in terms of human history and evolution, it is brand, spanking new.

In the last 50 years the combination of normalised borrowing, a massive drop in the standard of food and the additional normalisation of being sedentary has fvcked our physical and mental health.

But no, spending 75% of your life in debt whilst smothering the fact in beer, pie and Coronation Street is 'normal'.
    My view is we're now technically 'possessed' by the media (both social and conventional) and the 'media' have essentially become 'the govt' over the past 20 years in particular, where it's just been one big hyped-up problem after another during the time that has elapsed, though I personally think the rot actually started to set in during the 90s, which alone had its fair share of crises on both sides of the Atlantic, and I still personally perceive that particular decade to be one of the most overrated decades ever!

You’re obviously doing something wrong, Joe

We don't always agree but this is exactly my line of thinking. I read something that talked about how the Industrial revolution is responsible for the Cancer rates we have today. I need to grab some good books on the IR. Any recommendations?

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    My view is we're now technically 'possessed' by the media (both social and conventional) and the 'media' have essentially become 'the govt' over the past 20 years in particular, where it's just been one big hyped-up problem after another during the time that has elapsed, though I personally think the rot actually started to set in during the 90s, which alone had its fair share of crises on both sides of the Atlantic, and I still personally perceive that particular decade to be one of the most overrated decades ever!
    "Technically possessed". I like it! That's a good way to put it.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    We don't always agree but this is exactly my line of thinking. I read something that talked about how the Industrial revolution is responsible for the Cancer rates we have today. I need to grab some good books on the IR. Any recommendations?
    I'm not sure that the IR directly caused cancer rates to be what they are today, and even if anybody had suggested that I don't see there being accurate diagnostical records of actual cancer rates a century ago.

However, there are lots of correlations between the food we eat, the lifestyles we lead and the rates of cancer we experience. Let alone the adversarial way we are taught to think. The 'them vs us' trope we are sold on a perpetual basis is incredibly bad for us. It's constant low level stress, and promotes persistent cortisol release.

The one thing that the IR did was took people out of the fields and forests and put them in classrooms and factories. It took away self reliance (and the stresses that THAT brings) and replaced it with complete reliance on third parties to provide income, shelter and food. One very inciteful quote I recall that described stress was a long term problem that you are provided that you have little control over, and can do nothing about. I mean...look around......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information