Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One week to my colonoscopy and anxiety setting in. Good vibes appreciated!

Re: My colonoscopy mental prep

TBH I'm more nervous about the sedation than anything else. I'd do it without but I don't believe that's even an option here in the US.

The thought of being put under has always scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggsy49 View Post
    Hi there, I've had this procedure without sedation. Reason I chose not to have sedation as I worked in the department and the majority of patients that had this procedure felt it was not necessary as they have had to have more than one.
    I've had two @arse cams. One Sigmoidoscopy (no sedation and also no mental breakdown at the time of having it) and a colonoscopy (during a mental breakdown) to find the bowel cancer that I was 100% convinced I had - damn right I needed sedation!

Then again, I was always already a fan of general anaesthesia (have been under twice) and I ADORE the feeling of feeling really really drowsy, then zonked - so sedation was always going to be OK with me. The only concern I had was that I had been reacting to local anaesthetics and meds etc (because I have fibromyalgia - but I didn't know it then) but the consultant (nice bloke) sat with me and reassured me that all would be fine, and it was more than fine.

I think those special colonoscopy paper pants with the hole in the back deserves a special mention? And also that blissful (and massive) fart when you're eating your toast and drinking tea - one of the few times when it's acceptable to be farting in public!

Another great thing about colonoscopies? It can reset the bowels. A good deep clean can do our colons the world of good but do remember to take probiotics afterwards to put back the good bacteria which you will have shat out during the 'cleansing' part.

Paper pants? Those sound fun! At least my male bits won't be hanging out.

My feelings now, 48 hours away, are basically that like when I travel before getting on a plane. That underlying anxious feeling of the unknown. Doesn't help that it's like 10F degrees and windy here so walking the dog for some stress relief is not an option right now. Starting the bland eating today and then all liquid tomorrow. At least I have football to watch later.

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with the sedation. I found that my doc wrote a peer reviewed paper about sedation, looks like he favors a very light semi-conscious approach. Apparently he's a big deal in the gastro community. Who knew? I just picked him because he was in my insurance plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowawayLurker View Post
    Paper pants? Those sound fun! At least my male bits won't be hanging out.
    I put mine on the wrong way at first. Oops!

My feelings now, 48 hours away, are basically that like when I travel before getting on a plane. That underlying anxious feeling of the unknown. Doesn't help that it's like 10F degrees and windy here so walking the dog for some stress relief is not an option right now. Starting the bland eating today and then all liquid tomorrow. At least I have football to watch later.
    If it helps, I spoke to the gastro consultant yesterday and it looks like colonoscopy number 2 will be brought forward a bit from the current 12 month wait I was on via my Doc - so I'll be shitting for Britain and back in the paper pants in the not too distant future!

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with the sedation. I found that my doc wrote a peer reviewed paper about sedation, looks like he favors a very light semi-conscious approach. Apparently he's a big deal in the gastro community. Who knew? I just picked him because he was in my insurance plan.
    Sounds like picked a good one.

Another few hours and this will all be over and I do hope you will come back and give us the conclusion to this experience and not just leave us hanging as many people do?

In less than 24 hours I'll be at the hospital getting ready. I'd have to say the nerves might be the worst part of this all now. Even the thought of paper pants doesn't help!

No breakfast sucked. Coffee without a little creamer really sucked.

My brain is in two modes right now. Part of me wishes I just never went to the doctor and remained blissfully unaware. The other part of my brain thinks that I did what I was supposed to do, and that it's hopefully early enough that this is either nothing or easily taken care of. Logically, the chances of this being the worst of the worst is pretty slim. If anything, I think I'm more afraid of my reaction to possible bad news than the bad news itself!

The real prep starts at 4PM when start mixing and drinking my Miralax prep with some diet iced tea.

(edit) I wanted to add, of course I've never been constipated in my life until this morning! Whether it's nerves or the fact I didn't eat a lot this weekend, hopefully the prep later gets things moving.
    Last edited by ThrowawayLurker; 25-01-21 at 15:43.

Another colonoscopy success story!

So to follow up my last post, just got home from my colonoscopy. All went well, no polyps, just an internal hemorrhoid which must have been the cause of my positive FIT.

The prep was mostly easy, Miralax and Ducolax. The hardest part was getting all that liquid down and then trying to sleep while running to the bathroom every 5 minutes which eventually became like an open fire hydrant.

Got there at 7 AM promptly for my 830 AM procedure. I would up going before 8 AM because the guy before me neglected to tell them that he had a heart attack a month ago and wasn't cleared by his cardiologist. So he prepped for nothing!

They gave me complete sedation, so I took an amazing nap and woke up as they wheeled me back to the recovery room. After a quick blueberry muffin and coffee my wife was there.

So hopefully this helps anyone still nervous about what's about to happen. It was as easy as many made it out to be.

Re: One week to my colonoscopy and anxiety setting in. Good vibes appreciated!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Another colonoscopy success story!

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowawayLurker View Post
    So to follow up my last post, just got home from my colonoscopy. All went well, no polyps, just an internal hemorrhoid which must have been the cause of my positive FIT.

The prep was mostly easy, Miralax and Ducolax. The hardest part was getting all that liquid down and then trying to sleep while running to the bathroom every 5 minutes which eventually became like an open fire hydrant.

Got there at 7 AM promptly for my 830 AM procedure. I would up going before 8 AM because the guy before me neglected to tell them that he had a heart attack a month ago and wasn't cleared by his cardiologist. So he prepped for nothing!

They gave me complete sedation, so I took an amazing nap and woke up as they wheeled me back to the recovery room. After a quick blueberry muffin and coffee my wife was there.

So hopefully this helps anyone still nervous about what's about to happen. It was as easy as many made it out to be.
    Told ya didn't I?

Good on ya for coming back on and concluding this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information