Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrified waiting on blood tests

Petrified waiting on blood tests

So this year I decided I was going to take decisive action to try and get my HA under control and not allow it to control my life.

I've been doing CBT and private hypnotherapy. I've also come off of my SSRI's as I didn't feel they were actually helping me but more masking the problem.

Once of my main fears for years has been blood cancer, myeloma/leukemia and lymphoma, along with a few of the other cancers thrown in for good measure such as liver, kidney etc.

I've been really struggling lately because I've always bruised easily but as I've started to go through the menopause this has got worse. It does tend to run in our family but it hasn't stopped me going into a tailspin, even with my CBT and Hypnotherapy.

So after another panic attack last night due to me finding a few dots of petechaie on my lower legs and noticing a bruise on the inside of my finger I spoke to the Dr this morning who said she doesn't feel I have any hope of getting my anxiety under control unless I have the blood tests I've been putting off having. I haven't had a FBC or any blood tests (apart from basic thyroid and cholesterol) since I was pregnant with my son and he's 16 today! So that gives an idea how long I've been avoiding this.

I had a call with 111 last night and she even offered me to go to A&E to get the tests done so I could wait for the results, she did say she thinks I'm probably ok but for reassurance I should have the blood tests.

Anyway, this morning I bit the bullet and had them done, FBC, Clotting, Liver, Kidney and Thyroid. To say I am in a complete turmoil is an understatement.

I have propananol to take to help the anxiety and the GP checked my petechiae which wasn't actually there today! She said the fact it comes and goes so easily is reassuring but I now have to wait on tests.

I'm worse because I know when my Dad's white cells were zero they rung him at 10.30pm at night so i know I won't be able to relax all evening and tomorrow will be worse. The GP said the FBC and clotting should be back tomorrow and to call in the afternoon but I am petrified.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered even though I know I needed to do it.

Any coping techniques/suggestions?
    Last edited by Munchlet; 20-01-21 at 17:33.

Re: Petrified waiting on blood tests

Just wanted to say well done to you for taking such a brave step. You should be proud of yourself. I'm the same waiting for tests, in fact I had some done a couple of weeks ago and was too scared to call for the results. It took me over a week to pluck up the courage. There is no shortcut through the anxiety, other than to know that this time tomorrow you will know the result. I bet they will all be fine. Do update us and let us know.
    BTW I bruise super easily and my bruises take forever to heal- I had one a couple of years back that was visible for well over 6 months and my bloods are fine.

Keep busy, Munchlet. Do anything other than ruminate and monitor your phone. Your GP asked you to have blood tests to help you cope with your anxiety re having a blood cancer. Look at these tests as a general MoT whic is long overdue. Your GP isn't worried about your physical health.

Menopause can cause anxiety to skyrocket x

Thank you Cattia and Pulisa.

I am trying to stay occupied, catching up on some programmes and reading. I will keep you posted.

That is reassuring about the bruising Cattia, I've always had it but my HA has just latched onto it and because I think menopause and lack or hormones is causing it to happen more easily, I'm fretting.

Pulisa you are not wrong, I haven't known anything like it, my HA has always been bad but its the panic attacks I can't cope with. The GP did say it's probably causing a lot of the problems and it might be worth considering HRT but I don't tend to get on with hormones so thinking it might make things worse!
    Last edited by Munchlet; 20-01-21 at 20:43.

Hoping you get amazing results and can breathe a huge sigh of relief! And then you can continue regular annual blood work with your GP and it won’t be so scary.

Any news? x

No not yet. GP said I could have rung yesterday but nurse doing blood said Mon/Tues.

I decided not to ring as I thought if some are back and others aren’t I’ll be fretting about the ones that they don’t have results for.

I’m a nervous wreck, not eating, shaking etc. I hate this feeling, it’s only been two days. ☹️

I really do think you would have heard by now if there were anything out of sync with your bloods, Munchlet. I was once rung at 5am re my daughter's bloods when there was a serious issue. No news is good news. I'd be feeling less anxious myself if I hadn't heard anything after 2 days as there is a rapid turnaround of FBCs at the moment.

Thanks Pulisa

I think I’m less anxious about the FBC so now I’m worrying about the LFT and U&E test. Honestly it’s typical HA jumping from one to the other. I’m my own worst enemy.

I will get this HA under control, it’s not a case of wanting to its a case of having to. It’s wasted so much of my life.

I am so anxious at the moment it's just awful.

I honestly thought the longer I went after having the blood tests done I'd feel better but my anxiety has got worse.

Now I'm worrying about the Kidney and liver tests because I'm thinking if one needs a repeat or some of the levels are off then I probably wouldn't have heard anything and I'll find out tomorrow or when I ring for results as it's not as urgent.

My Mum and Husband think I'm mad (to be fair they're probably not wrong). I just can't stop worrying abut the results. I know the GP said that I could ring on Thursday but I'm thinking the LFT and U&E tests would take longer and maybe they won't be back yet or they are back but Dr hasn't got round to checking them.

Sorry, I just needed to come on and vent, now I'm going to go and slap myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information