Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrified waiting on blood tests

Blood Tests- Update

So I bit the bullet and rang this morning as I was in such a state.

Blood tests are back and receptionist said they say "Satisfactory - No Further Action".

I feel relieved but obviously my HA is saying why Satisfactory, why not normal??

I did question her and said would it say abnormal or follow up if there was a problem and she said yes.

I feel better but not convinced, why do they make things so difficult. Now I'm thinking something must be off with one of them!

Re: Petrified waiting on blood tests

If something was off, your doctor would want a re-test in 28 days related to the result that was out of kilter. I say this as a veteran of many, many tests (and occasional retests) indeed.

The key phrase here is "No further action".

Trust me - you have no reason to worry whatsoever and it's foolish to quibble over semantics All is good.

Thank you so much Pamplemousse.

I have asked for a routine call back from the GP. I'm not going to ask for levels or specific results but I just wanted to double check there is no further action and have a quick chat around HRT. We discussed this as an option once we got the bloods as she feels menopause is causing a lot of the symptoms I'm experiencing and probably not helping with the anxiety and panic attacks. The joys of getting older!

Re: Blood Tests- Update

Quote Originally Posted by Munchlet View Post
    So I bit the bullet and rang this morning as I was in such a state.

Blood tests are back and receptionist said they say "Satisfactory - No Further Action".

I feel relieved but obviously my HA is saying why Satisfactory, why not normal??

I did question her and said would it say abnormal or follow up if there was a problem and she said yes.

I feel better but not convinced, why do they make things so difficult. Now I'm thinking something must be off with one of them!
    Hiya Munchlet, I've had a few blood tests done over the years due to HA - and like you, a HUGE worrier when waiting for results.

But anyway, 'satisfactory' is the term my surgery uses for normal blood tests as well, and i'm pretty sure it's the generic term across the health board for normal results.

I know it doesn't sound like the most positive of words, but it means all is fine!

Thank you.

I received a call from the GP (think they must have known I'd be worrying)

Apparently, Kidney, Liver all normal, the only thing slightly out was my Red Cell Count was 157 and the top of the range is 150. The GP said it could be normal for me but because they don't have blood tests to compare to, they have no way of knowing.

Anyway, she said some things can cause it like being overweight (which I am), she also said being anemic would be more concerning.

Basically, she is going to leave it with me and I can repeat if I want in two months but she said if she were me she wouldn't be worried as the first thing they do when they have this come up is look at Hemocrit levels?? and those are all within normal ranges.

So bit of a dilemma. I'm not overly concerned as they don't seem to be but there is that little niggle!

I'm not overly concerned as they don't seem to be but there is that little niggle!
    No disrespect meant but if being over weight can cause this why not focus on getting your weight down to normal ? That is something totally in your control.

So bit of a dilemma. I'm not overly concerned as they don't seem to be but there is that little niggle!
    How does one have a dilemma or even a little niggle about normal results?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

No further action from the GP means just that, Munchlet. "Satisfactory" is standard GP talk.

You can let your HA take further action though which is what you appear to be doing...

You've now got these bloods as a baseline and you've had total reassurance re the LFTs and U&Es which you were convinced would be abnormal.

I think you should be relieved and reassured..but you won't be, sadly

Thank you everyone.

Nancy, I am actually trying to deal with the weight and I have been doing weight watchers and lost one and a half stone. Unfortunately, because I've been so anxious lately as I'm sure most people can relate healthy eating takes a bit of a back seat. The fact that the gyms aren't open also isn't helping as I was going 4-5 times a week!

Fishmanpa, I know and I absolutely agree, it's been eye-opening to see the classic HA behaviours that I've displayed whilst waiting for these tests. I initially went because I was worried about Blood Cancer, the minute I started thinking along the lines of "they would have contacted me by now" I moved onto Kidney/Liver issues. Today I get told Liver and Kidneys fine and slight out of the range on one test and I'm off down another path!

I really do need to forget about this, I've put off having blood tests for soooooo long, for all I know I could have always had that range. I did say to the GP when I was pregnant (last time I had proper tests) the Midwife used to say to me how amazing my iron levels were and how she couldn't believe they weren't dropping even late on in pregnancy. Which probably goes along with a good Haemoglobin level so if I had it back then, it probably is normal for me.

So what am I going to do about it..... Forget it. If I develop any worrying symptoms I will go to my GP, in the meantime I'm going to fire Dr Google who is nothing but a scaremongering unqualified Dr and listen to my own GP's advice.

I think the key thing I need to remember is no GP would say "If I were you I wouldn't worry about it" if for one minute they thought there was reason to worry.

Well done, Munchlet. Put this in the "finished" box. I would be celebrating overcoming your fear of blood tests and then getting very reassuring and normal results x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information